Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I haven't studied a language at school/college since I finished my GCSEs, and I don't intend to formally learn a language.

After my degree (Environmental Science) I want to travel and work with people to improve their environments and I'd also like to apply as an international United Nations volunteer, so to learn a new language would really be beneficial to me. I think I'd like to learn Spanish because I know this is a growing language and is really significant today.

How would I go about learning it? I can't really afford personal tutoring and I don't know of any local clubs or anything to help me learn.

ReputationRep:
    Visit America to learn American, It takes a few years though

ReputationRep:
    Youtube for lessions + lots of other online sites to learn the grammar. Read Spanish newspaper/articles etc.

Best way to learn a language would be to book a flight to somewhere they speak it and force yourself by jumping into the deep end.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about online podcasts? Like Rosetta Stone? or watching TV shows in Spanish (I know my friends who are Italian said this really helped them learn English before moving here).

I think if you are to learn a language independently you will need to be quite disciplined, dedicating time to practice reading, writing and listening and sticking to it. Have you had a look at Meetup.com? They have groups of people who meet up with similar interests such as running and book clubs. One could be a Spanish meet up and that could help improve your conversations in another language.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SambhavPHD)
    Visit America to learn American, It takes a few years though
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Youtube for lessions + lots of other online sites to learn the grammar. Read Spanish newspaper/articles etc.

Best way to learn a language would be to book a flight to somewhere they speak it and force yourself by jumping into the deep end.
    I can't really afford (money and time) to go visit some Spanish speaking places at the minute, hopefully I will be after my degree (or during my degree), but I want to familiarise myself with the language beforehand! They're good suggestions though thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milkround)
    Have you thought about online podcasts? Like Rosetta Stone? or watching TV shows in Spanish (I know my friends who are Italian said this really helped them learn English before moving here).

I think if you are to learn a language independently you will need to be quite disciplined, dedicating time to practice reading, writing and listening and sticking to it. Have you had a look at Meetup.com? They have groups of people who meet up with similar interests such as running and book clubs. One could be a Spanish meet up and that could help improve your conversations in another language.
    Do you think it would help to watch Spanish movies/tv shows with English subtitles? I read somewhere that it helps subconsciously embed the language into your head. I've looked at meetup.com before, but never for this. I'll give it a look
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to! I studied Japanese at university and after I left I struggled to carry on because I couldn't find classes. I watch Japanese movies with English subtitles to try and help me learn!

ReputationRep:
    There are free apps you can download on your phone like duolingo and Memrise (personally I would recommend Memrise) to help you learn the basic words and sounds, great for beginners, although they both eventually go into quite complex phrases once you get to a reasonable understanding it would be a good idea to switch to a different learning method as they won't help you actually speak it very well just understand it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.