Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens if by end of year you have not paid full tuition? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a MSc. It costs about £6000. I get post graduate loan of £10000, but because of rent i'm going to be short about £1000-£1200 for tuition. What actually happens if i reach end of year and i haven't paid that?

I'm happy to set up a payment plan if / when i get a job, but i'm wondering do they just kick me of the course, or are they lenient, etc. Someone told me if i don't pay, they wont mark my exams and i will just fail. In which case i should just drop the course now because there's no way i can find that £1000 in time.

ReputationRep:
    Have you started already? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    No idea , I'd pay the tuition in full when the course starts if I were you.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by what3ver)
    I'm doing a MSc. It costs about £6000. I get post graduate loan of £10000, but because of rent i'm going to be short about £1000-£1200 for tuition. What actually happens if i reach end of year and i haven't paid that?

I'm happy to set up a payment plan if / when i get a job, but i'm wondering do they just kick me of the course, or are they lenient, etc. Someone told me if i don't pay, they wont mark my exams and i will just fail. In which case i should just drop the course now because there's no way i can find that £1000 in time.
    They will prevent you from graduating and not give you the qualification until it is paid. YOu will have to ask your department whether they will let you sit the exams. it should give you an idea in the rules which are usually published online. Have you asked? Have you looked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by what3ver)

Every uni can set its own criteria. However at any uni I've attended, you would be withdrawn from the course for non-payment well before reaching the end of a course. You certainly could never pay in installments after the course has ended and even if you do hang on to complete the course, you won't be allowed to graduate (i.e. you will not be given the qualification) if you owe the uni money. My current uni has blocked graduations over outstanding library fines, never mind owed fees.

Talk to your uni and find out for sure, but don't be optimistic. Payment terms and conditions constitute part of the legal contract you sign up to when you enrol. There will be no wiggle room for negotiation.

If you're going to default on something, you'd be better off not paying the rent. Not to say that's right or stress-free - it risks bailiffs, court action and a CCJ against you. But at least you wouldn't have wasted your tuition fee/postgrad loan and would have a Masters to show for it.

ReputationRep:
    Unis generally take missing fees incredibly seriously and are likely to not allow you to graduate.

I would talk to your uni about your options. If I was in your position I would loan the money from friends and family and set up instalment plans with them (obviously some people find that easier to do than others but it can be a good option).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.