Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm really really sad . How to get stronger ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a 16 year old boy . I have always been skinny and weak . I work out sooo hard but nothing works . A 12 year old girl beat me .
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Suck it up. You're grown. Do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    OP asks: How to get stronger

You reply:

(Original post by Mimir)
    Suck it up. You're grown. Do something about it.
    The award for the most useless and tautological answer ever goes to you!

ReputationRep:
    That's ok. Apparently, for some males, muscles come in later... but I honestly don't see why you would be so sad about it. Hey, I'm a chunky teenage girl. I stopped worrying about it the day my mum told me that all girls, no matter how beautiful, still think of themselves as ugly. That may not mean so much to you, but it has its male equivalence - I have a bit of experience of teenage boys (having a lot of brothers, plus their friends etc.), and when they are 16, they tend to be weedy and everything. But by the time they reach 20, they've really filled out. And yes, it bothers some of them, but that's life for you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friendly person)
    I am a 16 year old boy . I have always been skinny and weak . I work out sooo hard but nothing works . A 12 year old girl beat me .
    What do you do when working out? Just doing the same exercises day in day out t the same difficulty will do nothing. You have to increase the amount you do incrementally to see any advance in whatever you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    Just take steroids if you can't gain any weight.
    Or just join a boxing gym or something...

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know finds it extremely difficult to put on muscle, you just have to persist and learn to enjoy tearing and repairing them but sometimes even that's not enough. I think some people just live life aerobically so find it quite difficult to adjust to intense anaerobic exercise.

I'm at the stage now where I'm a bit porky and I used to be muscley and athletic, I would recommend just staying where you are and maybe consider competing in a sport you're naturally tailored for like cross-country. Skinny can be significantly more useful than muscles, you'd be surprised how slow I am all the time because I'm not skinny, just walking (especially uphill) is a pain. My goal is to be skinny rather than muscley because of this, the muscle just weighs you down.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a stupid question so forgivesies if it is, but are you taking in enough calories every day, day in and day out? My soon to be 20 year old son is 6FT 1 and very very slim. He eats very healthily, but eats very slowly, so gets full quite quickly, meaning he doesn't eat large portions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    Skinny can be significantly more useful than muscles, you'd be surprised how slow I am all the time because I'm not skinny, just walking (especially uphill) is a pain. My goal is to be skinny rather than muscley because of this, the muscle just weighs you down.
    This is a joke right?

Yeah because sprinters are really skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    This is a joke right?

Yeah because sprinters are really skinny.
    sprinting exercises most of the body so they need to be, i'm talking about useful things like walking/cycling to lectures

ReputationRep:
    sprinting exercises most of the body so they need to be, i'm talking about useful things like walking/cycling to lectures
    Cyclists are pretty damn muscular too. Sprinting is also very useful?!

Obtaining muscle is universally beneficial to the human body.

ReputationRep:
    Cyclists are pretty damn muscular too.

Obtaining muscle is universally beneficial to the human body.
    ahah

ahaha

ok.

let's put ronnie coleman in a swimming pool

ReputationRep:
    ahah

ahaha

ok.

let's put ronnie coleman in a swimming pool
    That's an extreme example of somebody who has far exceeded the natural limit of muscular potential. Anybody that lifts weights recreationally would be fine in a swimming pool, and they'd probably swim better than somebody who does no exercise whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    That's an extreme example of somebody who has far exceeded the natural limit of muscular potential. Anybody that lifts weights recreationally would be fine in a swimming pool, and they'd probably swim better than somebody who does no exercise whatsoever.
    okay so what about half-marathons, are you telling me large biceps/chest/back(even thighs) are going to help me go faster?

(you're not going to convince me muscle is good, i have a trump card called 'the nemotode')

ReputationRep:
    Take up an intense combat sport. MMA, boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai
    Hitting stuff is fantastic stress relief and you get stronger, win win

ReputationRep:
    okay so what about half-marathons, are you telling me large biceps/chest/back(even thighs) are going to help me go faster?

(you're not going to convince me muscle is good, i have a trump card called 'the nemotode'
    If you had to carry a load of weight like soldiers do, then yeah muscle will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadVisionary)
    Hitting stuff is fantastic stress relief and you get stronger, win win
    Finally, all these years of hitting my wife will come to good use

J.k. before any rad-fems lose their ****

---
    OP it would be helpful if you told people your current work-out regime or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    If you had to carry a load of weight like soldiers do, then yeah muscle will help.
    i'm going to show you my trump card anyway.

the only way for a tapeworm to survive is to make eggs in the muscle of its host and hope that host gets eaten by a predator. if they can infect the muscle of pigs i see no reason why they can't infect the muscle of humans. more muscle = more homes for nemotode eggs.

where is your god now?

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to show you my trump card anyway.

the only way for a tapeworm to survive is to make eggs in the muscle of its host and hope that host gets eaten by a predator. if they can infect the muscle of pigs i see no reason why they can't infect the muscle of humans. more muscle = more homes for nemotode eggs.

where is your god now?
    The amount of muscle won't change your risk of tapeworm infection. I would of thought humans as a host would be quite rare (muscular infection), it usually just chills in your bowels.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The amount of muscle won't change your risk of tapeworm infection. I would of thought humans as a host would be quite rare (muscular infection), it usually just chills in your bowels.

Well done on restoring some sense here.

Someone I know finds it extremely difficult to put on muscle, you just have to persist and learn to enjoy tearing and repairing them but sometimes even that's not enough. I think some people just live life aerobically so find it quite difficult to adjust to intense anaerobic exercise.

I'm at the stage now where I'm a bit porky and I used to be muscley and athletic, I would recommend just staying where you are and maybe consider competing in a sport you're naturally tailored for like cross-country. Skinny can be significantly more useful than muscles, you'd be surprised how slow I am all the time because I'm not skinny, just walking (especially uphill) is a pain. My goal is to be skinny rather than muscley because of this, the muscle just weighs you down.
    You said you 'used to be muscly and athletic' but are now 'porky' yet you claim that your current muscle is slowing you down.

A strange one

(Original post by Friendly person)
    Read the FAQ bro, it's stickied at the top of this very section.

You won't naturally fill out (not that much). You need to train, eat enough and gain mass. The FAQ will answer many of your questions.

Once you've read it, if you still have questions then fire away

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.