Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you hate PE at school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I actually didn't mind it but I would always forget to bring my PE kit or just couldn't be arsed especially if we had gymnastics

ReputationRep:
    I hate PE, I didn't mind it in Year 9-11 (especially in the summer when we could do Softball) but the hatred has returned now I'm in Year 12 and am still forced to do it when I could have study periods

ReputationRep:
    PE: the eternal stain in an otherwise spotless curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I didn't really like PE in school especially when it was cold as unless it was really bad weather we could then do it in the gym or sports hall.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest waste of time and PE teachers are generally moronic and unkind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I was terrible at pretty much every sport, even football which loads of other kids were really good at. So it was usually just the good kids playing the game well while I was struggling and being ridiculed for it, not just in football but in things like basketball and rugby as well. Plus it was absolutely freezing in winter when we were doing football and rugby outside, and there was nothing I could do to get warmer because we had to stick to the school PE kit (while the teacher had a warm coat and tracksuit of course).

I can certainly see how school PE can potentially put people off exercise. It's much better once you leave school, when you can get exercise how you want and on your own terms.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I liked PE quite a lot even though I wasn't very good at it, used to love hockey, rounders, netball, badminton, trampolining and circuit training etc, but I absolutely hated rugby, football, basketball, athletics and dodgeball.

Wasn't a massive fan of it until year 9 but then I chose to take it for GCSE (mistake - I failed), and now that I'm in year 12 and PE isn't a thing anymore I miss it sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who tried forgetting their kit at my school had to do it in their underwear. I only ever forgot mine once - that was enough to make me do it!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Kinda, it was okay at times

ReputationRep:
    I hated PE so much! (unless it was badminton or volleyball) But luckily my teachers didn't mind if we didn't go, as long as we were doing school work under supervision with another teacher. I usually went into the art room and worked on my coursework during Year 10+11

ReputationRep:
    Somebody get those "health campaigners" to read this thread, they will genuinely panic at the amount of negative reviews of PE. Obviously it's one of those lessons in which kids are more prone to bullying.

ReputationRep:
    i hated PE at school because i wasn't good at it

doesn't mean i hate physical exercise. i do lifting at the gym 4 days a week and i am going to start boxing.

ReputationRep:
    God, don't get me started. Teachers turn up 10 minutes late to their lessons so I always turn up 15-20 minutes late but they don't do anything. I don't know why but most PE teachers are so conceited and incompetent it drives me crazy. Don't get me wrong though, there are a few nice ones. As I go to a non-grammar state school everyone in my class are utter half-wits when doing PE. Sometimes I actually punch walls because I can't take their ignorance. I pretty much despise every sport but like others have said, badminton and table tennis were pretty good.

Additionally, PE is just a waste of my time when I could be doing something actually productive. I would rather cover some French vocabulary than walk on a treadmill for 40 minutes. I would ask If I didn't have to do it but I'm too afraid.

ReputationRep:
    PE was my favourite lesson. Especially when we were doing athletics and it was getting close to sports day. I was the best high jumper in my year group Pretty decent at most of the events as well. Especially racing to the cieling by climbing a rope and general fitness stuff like that.

My PE teachers were really chill and had good banter as well. And the girls's PE teachers were super hot.
    • Very Important Poster

Dont think I apprciated it enough at the time. Cross country in the snow was always a killer.

It got much better when they let us go skating, shooting and golfing.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it was terrible.

We had some pretty terrible teachers who would take all girl groups into boys changing rooms (once they changed) for a lesson because they hadn't booked anywhere for it. If you followed the rules and still dressed in your kit when you couldn't take part (injury, illness, "note"), you were still interrogated during the lesson. I've had letters from the hospital stating that I couldn't take part and they would refuse to believe me. Not to mention insults if you weren't good enough at the sport. And telling you you'd get detention if you didn't come in proper football boots to the next lesson, so you pay for some, and then you only have the 1 lesson for the year (and years after, funnily enough).

If we actually did fun sports, like fencing or martial arts or just anything other than typical stuff (or just something interesting), it probably wouldn't have been so bad (along with proper staff). But there were too many things wrong with the lessons to ever enjoy them.

ReputationRep:
    I used to like PE because I got to see the boys doing it in their boxers when they forgot their kit! Hated it when I had to do it in my knickers when I forgot mine, though :-(

ReputationRep:
    Hated it. The amount of excuses I made up to get out of it was ridiculous. I liked some sports, Ultimate Frisbee and netball, but anything else I hated. I'm not really social IRL, so running around in front of people and getting sweaty really wasn't my style. I don't like the outdoors (sun makes me get horrible migraines even with sun glasses and I burn no matter how much sun cream I put on), so when we did netball and Frisbee indoors, I'd love it. In year 7-9 we did swimming and I hated it (always been super body conscious) and in those 3 years, i swan a grand total of 4 times. I made sure I was either on my period or sprained something, or had a migraine. To say I hate PE is an understatement. But i get why people like it, I just prefer to exercise in private without the judging eyes of other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.