Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is this situation that my eldest sister is in, she is currently in uni and living ng in a house by herself. She has a a Barclays Bank account with all her savings and money from her part time job , literally EVERYTHING. Over 3 grand . Her card recently got expiried and therefore went to Barclays to renew and also change her address since she moved . All good until she did not receive her card , that was suppose to come in 2 days by post. She went to the bank again to find that they've never changed her address and was then sent the card there. She went to see who was living there and it was a family from Romania , she asked if they had received one of her mail but they denied it . The next day she received a mail by post from the insurance company that she had not enough money to pay for the insurance this Month. She was very sure she did have way than enough. She went to the bank again to see all her money , ALL HER FRIGGIN MONEY is gone !!!!
    She had a complaint done and the police is investigating , Barclays said she'll get her money back hopefully ,

What would you have done differently ? Any thoughts ? Is it the banks fault or my sis fault?
    T
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)
    There is this situation that my eldest sister is in, she is currently in uni and living ng in a house by herself. She has a a Barclays Bank account with all her savings and money from her part time job , literally EVERYTHING. Over 3 grand . Her card recently got expiried and therefore went to Barclays to renew and also change her address since she moved . All good until she did not receive her card , that was suppose to come in 2 days by post. She went to the bank again to find that they've never changed her address and was then sent the card there. She went to see who was living there and it was a family from Romania , she asked if they had received one of her mail but they denied it . The next day she received a mail by post from the insurance company that she had not enough money to pay for the insurance this Month. She was very sure she did have way than enough. She went to the bank again to see all her money , ALL HER FRIGGIN MONEY is gone !!!!
    She had a complaint done and the police is investigating , Barclays said she'll get her money back hopefully ,

What would you have done differently ? Any thoughts ? Is it the banks fault or my sis fault?
    T
    Well if she told her the new address and they did not change it then surely it is the banks fault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Well if she told her the new address and they did not change it then surely it is the banks fault?
    Would they admit it?

ReputationRep:
    Did she really give them her new address or did she forget? The bank should have record of that. If she gave them her new address then obviously it is their fault and she should get the money back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)

T
    What sort of a gap was there between your sister moving out and her telling them bank that she'd moved. Ideally, she would have told the bank before she moved so this situation wouldn't have occurred. If there's been a delay in her telling the bank, then she has to accept most of the blame - the bank isn't psychic, after all. There's clearly more post that's gone missing from the bank (which makes me think there was a significant gap between her moving out and informing the bank) - without the PIN or some sort of online access and PIN, it would be impossible to empty the account of £3,000 in the manner you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    When the bank realized they'd sent the card to the wrong address they should have cancelled it there and then. Yes, your sister should have been smart enough to ask to cancel it at this time, as well as inquire about any recent transactions as soon as she found out when she was at the bank, but whoever helped her at the bank should have known that this was a serious security risk and cancelled it as well as looked into any suspicious or unknown transactions - I can't work out why they didn't do this as soon as they realized someone who is not the card holder has the card??

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.