The Student Room Group

A level arabic word count

I'm sitting A level Arabic this summer and was wondering whether they include one letter words like "و" in the word count and if not how about 2 letters words such as "في" and "ان".
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I am not familiar enough with the Arabic language, but if by 'one letter word' you mean like how the English words 'I' and 'a' are one letter long; then yes these would be included in the word count as they are still words.

I am guessing your confusion has something to do with the fact that Arabic might class these words differently?
Original post by SakuraE
I'm sitting A level Arabic this summer and was wondering whether they include one letter words like "و" in the word count and if not how about 2 letters words such as "في" and "ان".

I'm Not too sure, but I do know that on the edexcel website there are some sample essay answers in the examiners reports every year. You could count the number of words in the high band answers and see if they generally include every single word or not? (Loll, have fun, it may take ages :wink: ). I doubt they actually count words; that would be a bit pedantic- they probably just generally estimate how long it is by size of handwriting and number of lines.
My guess is that yes, the و etc. do count, but they don't take up much line space. In the exam I remember counting pretty much all the words (because I was bored and exams so long)- I was probably justt over or maybe within the limit, and they gave me an A. If the في ، و and so on didn't count, I probably would've been under?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Terrificmagenta
I'm Not too sure, but I do know that on the edexcel website there are some sample essay answers in the examiners reports every year. You could count the number of words in the high band answers and see if they generally include every single word or not? (Loll, have fun, it may take ages :wink: ). I doubt they actually count words; that would be a bit pedantic- they probably just generally estimate how long it is by size of handwriting and number of lines.
My guess is that yes, the و etc. do count, but they don't take up much line space. In the exam I remember counting pretty much all the words (because I was bored and exams so long)- I was probably justt over or maybe within the limit, and they gave me an A. If the في ، و and so on didn't count, I probably would've been under?

OK thank you, I'd better get counting then.
Original post by SakuraE
OK thank you, I'd better get counting then.

Np

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending