Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently heard very mixed reviews about Teach First and was directed to look at Ark Teacher Training who apparently share a very similar ethos.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts about Ark or it's comparison to Teach First?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know Ark run their own independent training. Isn't it just the School Direct programme?

In fact, through TF some participants are actually placed in Ark schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryripple1)
    I didn't know Ark run their own independent training. Isn't it just the School Direct programme?

In fact, through TF some participants are actually placed in Ark schools.
    Ark run their own programme too I think. One of my friends attended their insight days and was really impressed!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're very similar and TFers can get placed in Ark Schools (bit of a bonus IMO) but on TF you are paid from the start, whereas with Ark it's more like a non-salaried SD scheme so you won't get paid until your NQT year as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I thought. I'm wondering how the support systems compare though? I've heard that TF offer very little and throw you in to the deep end, whereas Ark are offering 3 years weekly regular support (2 during training and 1 after). Weighing up whether the salary is worth two very hard years?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Teach First in September It's definitely a more 'deep-end' approach, we'll be teaching after 5 weeks training, but as I understand it, we get a very intense 5 weeks, and are well supported in the classroom. However, there have been some horror stories of people that got an unlucky placement and felt ill-supported, but you hear similar stories from people on School Direct Schemes. And for me personally, because I'm not 100% sure I will be in teaching my whole life, TF's partnerships with Accenture, PwC etc. was really attractive as well.

Have you had a chance to attend any insight days? I know Ark's running a lot right now. I'd also recommend trying to observe at a TF-eligible school and an Ark Academy and get some first-hand opinions as this really helped me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenfu)
    I'm doing Teach First in September It's definitely a more 'deep-end' approach, we'll be teaching after 5 weeks training, but as I understand it, we get a very intense 5 weeks, and are well supported in the classroom. However, there have been some horror stories of people that got an unlucky placement and felt ill-supported, but you hear similar stories from people on School Direct Schemes. And for me personally, because I'm not 100% sure I will be in teaching my whole life, TF's partnerships with Accenture, PwC etc. was really attractive as well.

Have you had a chance to attend any insight days? I know Ark's running a lot right now. I'd also recommend trying to observe at a TF-eligible school and an Ark Academy and get some first-hand opinions as this really helped me
    Thanks that's really helpful. I'm looking in to the Ark internship they run over summer at the moment (think this is a fab way to get some classroom experience as well!) I've just heard a lot of bad reviews about TF and while Ark is equally intense teaching wise, it seems to be a bit more friendly? Thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    No problem! So far TF has been very friendly, but of course I've not even really started! Maybe check the current TF thread as a few people already on the programme float around on there Best of luck though, I've heard so many good things about Ark and having spent time in an Ark Academy for observation, it's a super well supported route - they seem to even provide lesson plans while you're still finding your feet which is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sounds really good! Really glad you've had a good experience with both. Best of luck on your journey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.