Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a Skype interview for a PhD opportunity next week which came up last minute and as such a research proposal was not required. I discussed the opportunity with the potential supervisor by phone and we roughly fleshed out an area of mutual interest. She wants to have a lot of input in the proposal (which I'm very happy with) however, for the interview, I'm wondering what else they can really ask? If anyone else has had an experience like this and could share I would be really grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely they'll ask you:

1) Why you want to work with that supervisor? Why that university? Why that project?
    2) What your career plans are
    3) Talk about your previous research (this could be your dissertation or some other project you've made them aware of)
    4) Talk about anything in your cover letter / application if you did one
    5) Talk about the research proposal
    6) Ask if you have specific skills (e.g. lab, computing, archive skills obviously depends on your field)
    7) Ask if you have any questions (make sure you have some that can't be found online!)

That's what mine covered (my research proposal was already planned by my supervisor so I didn't have to present it or anything) and particularly if you are interviewing with people other than your supervisor they may still want to discuss your proposal a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    Most likely they'll ask you:

1) Why you want to work with that supervisor? Why that university? Why that project?
    2) What your career plans are
    3) Talk about your previous research (this could be your dissertation or some other project you've made them aware of)
    4) Talk about anything in your cover letter / application if you did one
    5) Talk about the research proposal
    6) Ask if you have specific skills (e.g. lab, computing, archive skills obviously depends on your field)
    7) Ask if you have any questions (make sure you have some that can't be found online!)

That's what mine covered (my research proposal was already planned by my supervisor so I didn't have to present it or anything) and particularly if you are interviewing with people other than your supervisor they may still want to discuss your proposal a little.
    Hi, thanks for this but there isn't a proposal at all currently. She said it's to be worked up between herself and the successful candidate. And it's not like I've 'chosen' that uni or that supervisor as it was an advert that I responded to. Do you still think they'd ask those questions? I'd feel a bit silly answering as they'd surely know that it wasn't my 'choice' as such? I did do a CV and personal statement but that was all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Hi, thanks for this but there isn't a proposal at all currently. She said it's to be worked up between herself and the successful candidate. And it's not like I've 'chosen' that uni or that supervisor as it was an advert that I responded to. Do you still think they'd ask those questions? I'd feel a bit silly answering as they'd surely know that it wasn't my 'choice' as such? I did do a CV and personal statement but that was all
    Okay they may just ask more general questions about your interest in the field. However I think all my non-proposal questions are still likely. You chose to respond to that specific advert so you must have had a reason. It's like any job interview your real reason might be "I applied for the first thing I saw" but they'll expect a better reason. They'll also expect you to have read your supervisor's work and have something to say about it like "I enjoyed their paper on X which was thought-provoking because Y". You could also mention the chat you had with the supervisor if you think it went well and shows you can work together.

My suggested questions are much more likely in a panel interview. An informal chat with the supervisor is more likely to deviate. So you should try and find out which one it is.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with your interview! Which programme have you applied for?

I have a Skype interview this week also and, although I have a research proposal, I'm trying to prepare for non-proposal-related questions too. I'm thinking that they may ask me about my academic/professional background so far, where my main interests lie, why I want to study at doctoral level, what do I think makes me a good candidate, strengths and weaknesses etc...depending on what you've applied for they may want to ask something more technical too to ascertain your ability to think on your feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirby123)
    Good luck with your interview! Which programme have you applied for?

I have a Skype interview this week also and, although I have a research proposal, I'm trying to prepare for non-proposal-related questions too. I'm thinking that they may ask me about my academic/professional background so far, where my main interests lie, why I want to study at doctoral level, what do I think makes me a good candidate, strengths and weaknesses etc...depending on what you've applied for they may want to ask something more technical too to ascertain your ability to think on your feet.
    I wasn't asked much at all in the end! Was only half an hour. So they asked why I applied for that particular advert, where I saw my career in 5 years, what my research interests are and a bit about whether I'd be willing to treat it like a full time job and be a 'presence' in the school i.e. actively contribute in extracurricular stuff, get involved in teaching etc (which I'm more than happy to do). Got offered it about 3 hours later. Good luck to you, hope it went well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.