Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1108 - National Anthem Bill 2017 Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When I imagine a bunch of top-hatted Tories sitting down at a table and deciding that this was the thing they can all agree on it brings smile to my face.

Nay.

mobbsy91 My dear Opposition Leader, I'll vote in favour of this if you vote to better the chances of survival for people awaiting transplants in hospitals across the country.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Both are good, but the reversion pisses off the republicans.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    As long as it's this version then 100% aye, otherwise no. It's dull and celebrates inherited power by an elite who can not be held to account, yet enjoy greater access to the Government/Parliament than any ordinary citizen or even many backbenchers.
    All i'm hearing is "Blah blah Elitism ,Inherited Power , how dare Britain have a monarchy"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Abstain, I am doing Rakas21's job of linking correct formatting with an aye.
    By any chance is the failure being a crest taking up like 70% of the space?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    All i'm hearing is "Blah blah Elitism ,Inherited Power , how dare Britain have a monarchy"
    Would that be because you have poor reading comprehension?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    When I imagine a bunch of top-hatted Tories sitting down at a table and deciding that this was the thing they can all agree on it brings smile to my face.

Nay.

mobbsy91 My dear Opposition Leader, I'll vote in favour of this if you vote to better the chances of survival for people awaiting transplants in hospitals across the country.
    Hmmm tempting, I'll definitely have a good think about it!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    That's all I can see too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Bigger the better. 😏😏
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That, and the idea of this Act becoming a law before Royal Assent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That, and the idea of this Act becoming a law before Royal Assent.
    Can't say that I spotted that tiny print. mobbsy91 Is there any RL precedent for this to happen, or are you guys just being silly again, especially when Royal Assent is immediate for us
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can't say that I spotted that tiny print. mobbsy91 Is there any RL precedent for this to happen, or are you guys just being silly again, especially when Royal Assent is immediate for us
    Apologies, I didn't change about the Act bit, I'll ensure it's changed for division or second reading, don't worry - thanks for heads up!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Apologies, I didn't change about the Act bit, I'll ensure it's changed for division or second reading, don't worry - thanks for heads up!
    I am the pedantic, evil, ugly, obnoxious, disgusting, stuck-up arse in the MHoC, the small details will be jumped on by me.

ReputationRep:
    If this changed the anthem to Pink Floyd's waiting for the worms, I'd be on board.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am the pedantic, evil, ugly, obnoxious, disgusting, stuck-up arse in the MHoC, the small details will be jumped on by me.
    Haha, I know I've done the same myself in the past, so it's fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care about the lyrics, but an anthem's gotta sound good, and God save the queen is just too short and bornig. We need to have a proud patriotic anthem and make it be sung everyday in schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Nay. England/Britain needs a good anthem, GStQ is not only shite, it's dull as shite when compared with La Marseillaise.

Are you on your next monarch yet? Surely she's dead? Maybe she has a body double like Castro.

Also, what the hell is that image?
    The english have a lot of respect for our monarchy not like you lot over the Irish Sea, this is probably one of those cultural things that goes over your head as an Irishman (no offence intended there), but I think it's safe to say that in England GSTQ is incredibly well valued and respected, especially amongst the patriotic working classes who love the royal family.

Also, La Marseillaise is violent as hell, doesn't it have a line about bathing in the blood of germans or something xD? Not what I'd base my national anthem on anyway!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    The english have a lot of respect for our monarchy not like you lot over the Irish Sea, this is probably one of those cultural things that goes over your head as an Irishman (no offence intended there), but I think it's safe to say that in England GSTQ is incredibly well valued and respected, especially amongst the patriotic working classes who love the royal family.

Also, La Marseillaise is violent as hell, doesn't it have a line about bathing in the blood of germans or something xD? Not what I'd base my national anthem on anyway!
    And the rest of the Brits consider GSTQ to be a foreign anthem...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    And the rest of the Brits consider GSTQ to be a foreign anthem...
    She's your Queen too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    She's your Queen too
    Unfortunately so, but that is really irrelevant. The main time that people come across the anthem is at sporting events, where it generally represents England.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.