Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't see why the national anthem should be changed from a simple patriotic statement to a song that celebrates one out of our more than 60 million inhabitants.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That, and the idea of this Act becoming a law before Royal Assent.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can't say that I spotted that tiny print. mobbsy91 Is there any RL precedent for this to happen, or are you guys just being silly again, especially when Royal Assent is immediate for us
    It's quite funny that a bill to make GSTQ the national anthem attempts to bypass the royal assent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    The english have a lot of respect for our monarchy not like you lot over the Irish Sea, this is probably one of those cultural things that goes over your head as an Irishman (no offence intended there), but I think it's safe to say that in England GSTQ is incredibly well valued and respected, especially amongst the patriotic working classes who love the royal family.
    I've lived in London I know exactly what it's like - the 'patriotic working classes' you describe are a tiny minority, overlapping with those that vote UKIP and Britain First out of xenophobic hysteria. You grossly overestimate the 'respect' for the anthem. Working class people, especially young working class people, couldn't care less. Even those more well-off, the middle and upper-middle classes, don't generally demonstrate that level of irrational patriotism.

Also, La Marseillaise is violent as hell, doesn't it have a line about bathing in the blood of germans or something xD? Not what I'd base my national anthem on anyway!
    No, it's got some references to blood in the whole thing but it's only the first verse is sung now. The majority is just "arise children of the fatherland to arms, form the battalions, let us march the day of glory has arrived blah". The good European anthems have got similar stuff, like Amhran na bhFiann.
    That's what it should sound like, that's what it should say. You can hardly call God Save the Queen an anthem. An anthem for Britain should refer to its soldiers, their sacrifice etc. - this is my unbiased advice, considering my opposition to a significant amount of Britain's military actions.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. Who really gives a **** what the national anthem is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Abstain. Who really gives a **** what the national anthem is?
    Good point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I've lived in London I know exactly what it's like - the 'patriotic working classes' you describe are a tiny minority, overlapping with those that vote UKIP and Britain First out of xenophobic hysteria. You grossly overestimate the 'respect' for the anthem. Working class people, especially young working class people, couldn't care less. Even those more well-off, the middle and upper-middle classes, don't generally demonstrate that level of irrational patriotism.
    He has got a point!
    I live in the North so we are pretty anti monarch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    He has got a point!
    I live in the North so we are pretty anti monarch!
    I am also from the north (West Yorkshire.)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    I am also from the north (West Yorkshire.)...
    Nice👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a Honey G song as our national anthem than God Save the Queen. It's got a boring tune, it's not particularly inspirational and it's dated. And if you want to hear a proper national anthem, listen to the Italian one. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have a Honey G song as our national anthem than God Save the Queen. It's got a boring tune, it's not particularly inspirational and it's dated. And if you want to hear a proper national anthem, listen to the Italian one. :cool:
    Actually, a proper one is like the Russian National Anthem. We should have one like that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Actually, a proper one is like the Russian National Anthem. We should have one like that.
    Both are a vast improvement on GSTQ.

I actually quite like the former East German one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Unfortunately so, but that is really irrelevant. The main time that people come across the anthem is at sporting events, where it generally represents England.
    Which is a simple case of subnational divisions being retained in many sports and nationalists getting pissy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    No. I don't see why the national anthem should be changed from a simple patriotic statement to a song that celebrates one out of our more than 60 million inhabitants.
    You mean the head of state?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which is a simple case of subnational divisions being retained in many sports and nationalists getting pissy.
    You're living in an alternative reality if you think everyone in the UK is a flag-waving patriotic Brit who associates themselves with Britain first and their Home Nation second, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    The only rightful national anthem is the global No 1 hit "Hello".

ReputationRep:
    Tf when you hate both national anthems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily Porter)
    Tf when you hate both national anthems...
    Which do u hate more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    The only rightful national anthem is the global No 1 hit "Hello".
    Not 'Make You Feel My Love'?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Not 'Make You Feel My Love'?
    ^this will be better than Hello

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.