Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you want a peppy, fun national anthem we can just do 24K Magic. But the Sovereign is the physical embodiment of a thousand years' worth of Scottish and English history, and it is only right that she is the subject of our national anthem. We are a Constitutional Monarchy. It is a constitutional and social arrangement we are lucky to have, and I believe it should be celebrated.

Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    But the Sovereign is the physical embodiment of a thousand years' worth of Scottish and English history, and it is only right that she is the subject of our national anthem.[/QUOTE]

That explains for the House the profound dislike of GSTQ in Wales.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I love the Welsh, but historically it's a sort-of country. No getting away from it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    But the Sovereign is the physical embodiment of a thousand years' worth of Scottish and English history, and it is only right that she is the subject of our national anthem.

The funny thing about Wales is Wales as a geographical area was not an independent, sovereign country first. Wales was merged with England to be run by the Romans, before becoming independent, and rejoining England hundreds of years later.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    I love the Welsh, but historically it's a sort-of country. No getting away from it.
    Not in the view of the Welsh people, it's certainly not.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The funny thing about Wales is Wales as a geographical area was not an independent, sovereign country first. Wales was merged with England to be run by the Romans, before becoming independent, and rejoining England hundreds of years later.
    Not particularly true. England and the modern-day English-Welsh border didn't exist until the Anglo-Saxons came along. The Welsh were the first known inhabitants of Britannia (modern England, Wales and the Scottish Borders), who existed as various tribes until Roman rule (which happened reasonably peacefully) began, then in 383 everything reverted to as it was when the Romans left. It was only later that the English showed up from the Continent and settled in what is now England, pushing the Celtic people into Wales, Cornwall and Cumbria. The successful English colonisation of Wales began after the Norman Conquest.

It is true to say that Wales within roughly its current borders only spent six or seven years as an independent country (1056/7–1063), but I believe there was still a common national identity despite the lack of a common administration.

ReputationRep:
    It is true to say that Wales within roughly its current borders only spent six or seven years as an independent country (1056/7–1063), but I believe there was still a common national identity despite the lack of a common administration.
    That's what I meant when I called it a sort-of country. I originally singled Scotland and England out because of James I and the Acts of Union.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    But the Sovereign is the physical embodiment of a thousand years' worth of Scottish and English history, and it is only right that she is the subject of our national anthem.
    That explains for the House the profound dislike of GSTQ in Wales.[/QUOTE]

Wales was included in there though, only those bad at growing spuds have been excluded.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Wales was included in there though, only those bad at growing spuds have been excluded.
    Included in where? It's the Anglo-Scottish monarchy, the bloodline of the Welsh monarchy (i.e. the Princes of Gwynedd) came to an end centuries ago to my knowledge.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Included in where? It's the Anglo-Scottish monarchy, the bloodline of the Welsh monarchy (i.e. the Princes of Gwynedd) came to an end centuries ago to my knowledge.
    And Wales has been as much a part of England and Yorkshire is for nearly 5 centuries now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Not 'Make You Feel My Love'?
    "Make You Feel My Love" was written and originally performed by AMERICAN Nobel laureate Bob Dylan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    "Make You Feel My Love" was written and originally performed by AMERICAN Nobel laureate Bob Dylan.
    And if we're going to do Bob Dylan we have to do All Along The Watchtower.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And Wales has been as much a part of England and Yorkshire is for nearly 5 centuries now
    The administrative situation has little to do with the fact it is a separate nation, with a different language being the sole language of most of its population during that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    And if we're going to do Bob Dylan we have to do All Along The Watchtower.
    Unless the rebellious county of British America ends their rebellion, we cannot use their music.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    GSTQ is about asking a diety not all of us believe exists to save a singular individual that few of us have pledged allegiance to.

However, written in the shadow of the Great War, the current TSR UK anthem is about us as individuals pledging our service to our country and it invokes the idea that our country could be greater than it is - gentler and peaceful.

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
    Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Aye, we should be proud of our monarchy and it's history, and the national anthem should be reflective of that.
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Definitely Aye
    (Original post by Wilhuff Tarkin)
    Aye to this bill! Long live her Majesty!
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Aye!- While clearly a sign that we are not set to become a republic anytime soon (long time?) it is a more recognizable song, with the queen (whether good or bad) ultimately being a symbol of what it is to be British.
    Should we not be much, much more proud of those individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country? In the Great War, with reference to which 'I Vow To Thee my Country' was written and then in the Second World War when many more died to free the world from tyranny? If someone were to ask me whether it was the hereditary leaders of my country that made me proud to call it my own or the heroes of my country then I'd say it was the heroes. But maybe that's just me?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Should we not be much, much more proud of those individuals who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country? In the Great War, with reference to which 'I Vow To Thee my Country' was written and then in the Second World War when many more died to free the world from tyranny? If someone were to ask me whether it was the hereditary leaders of my country that made me proud to call it my own or the heroes of my country then I'd say it was the heroes. But maybe that's just me?
    The sarcasm is appreciated. I do admit that I didn't really think about but the bill and it's implications when first commenting but in all honesty I was treating it like a joke bill. Points in this thread such as it doesn't include wales, your point on soldiers, and the fact that ultimately no one cares, has brought me to a nay on this bill.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The sarcasm is appreciated. I do admit that I didn't really think about but the bill and it's implications when first commenting but in all honesty I was treating it like a joke bill. Points in this thread such as it doesn't include wales, your point on soldiers, and the fact that ultimately no one cares, has brought me to a nay on this bill.
    Tbh I didn't actually mean that sarcastically. I'm also not too fussed about what the national anthem is, I made that post because I think 'I Vow' is a genuinely moving song about national pride and I can't really understand why people disagree.

I mean, mate:

https://youtu.be/bvouc8Qs_MI

Could listen to that all day.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Tbh I didn't actually mean that sarcastically. I'm also not too fussed about what the national anthem is, I made that post because I think 'I Vow' is a genuinely moving song about national pride and I can't really understand why people disagree.

I mean, mate:

https://youtu.be/bvouc8Qs_MI

Could listen to that all day.
    I do think you questioning whether you are the only one who thinks the heroes of our country makes one proud of our country was rather sarcastic. However, I actually did appreciate the sarcasm, it was amusing, funny even.
    On the topic of the song, indeed it is moving, far more than God save the queen. It's not quite my type of music to music to listen to all day however :laugh:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I do think you questioning whether you are the only one who thinks the heroes of our country makes one proud of our country was rather sarcastic. However, I actually did appreciate the sarcasm, it was amusing, funny even.
    On the topic of the song, indeed it is moving, far more than God save the queen. It's not quite my type of music to music to listen to all day however :laugh:
    That was the only semi-sarcastic bit. I mean, there are some pretty strong monarchists on here.

Stick it on at a party. :laugh:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.