Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    I feel the public petition analogy is one with flaws: most people do not know nor care about public petitions, and the effect of most likely wont be as prevalent as an organ being taken out.
    However, you have said it would be a 30 second phone call to opt out. This has swayed me in all honesty; if it truly would be that simple, with all the information sent to the 16 year olds, I would have no reason not to vote Could I ask you what one would currently need to do to opt in?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I hope my language wasn't too harsh during my questioning; I did enjoy this debate, and your attitude is much deserving of your congeniality award.

I'm glad you are more sympathetic to this bill. To opt in at the moment, you have to register your details on the NHS website. They will then have to cross-check these details and then you will be added.

I think you've been very fair and I enjoyed this debate too.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, just checking, you can still opt-in when under 18 right?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This still has my support for reasons expressed in the original thread.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I don't like the idea of someone putting my name on the donation list when I don't want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Nay, I don't like the idea of someone putting my name on the donation list when I don't want to be.
    Did you miss 4(1)? You are given significant notice and an opportunity to opt-out prior to being added.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Did you miss 4(1)? You are given significant notice and an opportunity to opt-out prior to being added.
    The perpetual notice required is not in the interest of the government agenda.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definite aye. Even on the religious points, it's worth noting that the Abrahamic faiths adhered to by the vast majority of religious people in Britain are in favour of organ donation as they believe in spiritual rather than corporeal resurrection - if we moved to an opt-out system, many would research this and likely agree to organ donation when they may not have had any particular intention of going out of their way to opt-in.

ReputationRep:
    adam9317 change my nay to an aye please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    adam9317 change my nay to an aye please?
    Are you aware this isn't in division yet, Mr Robot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Are you aware this isn't in division yet, Mr Robot?
    Error
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye - We should have the right to opt in/out of organ donation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill is in cessation!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill has gone to a second reading

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.