Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is from a D1 past paper. For 6.b) why is 8 used to find the max. instead of 13

And for part c why does it have curves? I just drew the 4 straight sides of the shapeName:  Screenshot 2017-01-27 18.44.08.png
Views: 24
Size:  25.9 KBAttachment 614802614804
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    for part (b), you want to make the sum of the 4 shortest paths between each vertex as large as possible. We do this by making 3 of the paths as large as possible, and then putting every other edge between the last pair of vertices (as shown below)

Name:  tsrhelp.png
Views: 27
Size:  38.7 KB

for the last part it sounds like you were right, just draw in the unused ones in and ensure they are drawn so that they are not the minimum path between two vertices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    for part (b), you want to make the sum of the 4 shortest paths between each vertex as large as possible. We do this by making 3 of the paths as large as possible, and then putting every other edge between the last pair of vertices (as shown below)

Name:  tsrhelp.png
Views: 27
Size:  38.7 KB

for the last part it sounds like you were right, just draw in the unused ones in and ensure they are drawn so that they are not the minimum path between two vertices
    I dont understand that first part - if you want to make it as big as possible then why not use 13 instead of 8?

Ahh ok i see what you mean, yeah i didnt include the unused edges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    I dont understand that first part - if you want to make it as big as possible then why not use 13 instead of 8?

Ahh ok i see what you mean, yeah i didnt include the unused edges
    you want to make the minimum spanning tree as big as possible, the minimum spanning tree requires you to use the smallest edge between each pair of vertices.

Since you have to draw all the edges onto the diagram you have no choice but you use the length 8 in your minimum spanning tree, since its the minimum edge length overall.

ReputationRep:
    you want to make the minimum spanning tree as big as possible, the minimum spanning tree requires you to use the smallest edge between each pair of vertices.

Since you have to draw all the edges onto the diagram you have no choice but you use the length 8 in your minimum spanning tree, since its the minimum edge length overall.
    Ah ok i see what youre saying now, thanks for your help

ReputationRep:

Hey, i have another question - do you know if any AQA past papers have had questions asking you to amend, complete etc. an algorithm? This is what the spec says:

"required to trace, correct, complete or amend a given algorithm, and compare or comment on the number of iterations required"

I wanted to try some exam questions on this but cant seem to find any. Ive only ever seen questions asking you to trace or state the purpose of an algorithm.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i have another question - do you know if any AQA past papers have had questions asking you to amend, complete etc. an algorithm? This is what the spec says:

"required to trace, correct, complete or amend a given algorithm, and compare or comment on the number of iterations required"

I wanted to try some exam questions on this but cant seem to find any. Ive only ever seen questions asking you to trace or state the purpose of an algorithm.
    Im afraid not, I havent done any D1 past papers yet. (im doing the module this year) but if I come across any in the coming months Ill let you know

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid not, I havent done any D1 past papers yet. (im doing the module this year) but if I come across any in the coming months Ill let you know
    Oh haha lol i thought you were a lot older than me

Ill make a new thread and see if anyone else knows

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is from a D1 past paper. For 6.b) why is 8 used to find the max. instead of 13

And for part c why does it have curves? I just drew the 4 straight sides of the shapeName:  Screenshot 2017-01-27 18.44.08.png
Views: 24
Size:  25.9 KBAttachment 614802614804
    You will still get the marks if you draw straight lines, but normally in the textbook it shows curves when they draw the networks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.