Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i move out of home for uni just because my parents are getting divorced? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im currently half way through my second year of uni studying a pretty intense course. Im involved in a lot of societies and spend the majority of my week at uni or in friend's/boyfriend flat if i go on a nightout(as taxi is too expensive getting it myself) I have quite a convenient situation by being able to drive to uni in 10/15 minutes(parking is getting a lot more difficult though so im starting to drive 5 and walk 20 minutes. I've been considering moving out as i spent a lot of time going back and forth and find it difficult to study in the house so spend a lot of time in the library.

My parents haven't spoke to each other since i started uni really and havent got along for as long as i can remember. Since my brother moved out it makes me feel i have no one to talk to in the house as there is so much tension. It wasnt much of a surprise to them getting divorced..however my rather than both my parents going their seperate ways, my mum is keeping the house. Should i just move out for 3rd year to avoid any conflict(theyre taking a while to process everything ), would it be worth it for the "full uni experience" or is it just a waste of money to have to pay rent ( i do my own food shopping for the house anyway and cook for myself) when i live reasonably close compared to other home students?? I wouldnt have much time to work to earn extra cash or have much savings to go on holiday by the end of the year or other summer luxuries

Thanks for any advice!!! i tried to simplify my situation, theres a few other complications in the family but i think i got the main points across )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medsportslife)
    Im currently half way through my second year of uni studying a pretty intense course. Im involved in a lot of societies and spend the majority of my week at uni or in friend's/boyfriend flat if i go on a nightout(as taxi is too expensive getting it myself) I have quite a convenient situation by being able to drive to uni in 10/15 minutes(parking is getting a lot more difficult though so im starting to drive 5 and walk 20 minutes. I've been considering moving out as i spent a lot of time going back and forth and find it difficult to study in the house so spend a lot of time in the library.

My parents haven't spoke to each other since i started uni really and havent got along for as long as i can remember. Since my brother moved out it makes me feel i have no one to talk to in the house as there is so much tension. It wasnt much of a surprise to them getting divorced..however my rather than both my parents going their seperate ways, my mum is keeping the house. Should i just move out for 3rd year to avoid any conflict(theyre taking a while to process everything ), would it be worth it for the "full uni experience" or is it just a waste of money to have to pay rent ( i do my own food shopping for the house anyway and cook for myself) when i live reasonably close compared to other home students?? I wouldnt have much time to work to earn extra cash or have much savings to go on holiday by the end of the year or other summer luxuries

Thanks for any advice!!! i tried to simplify my situation, theres a few other complications in the family but i think i got the main points across )
    Depends how hostile they are. If your parents' divorce is anything like my parents' was, I would advise you get out before they start the court proceedings because that's when it gets really ugly. And you don't need that stress while you're studying, I found it stressful living in another city and having to hear about it from each of them every half an hour so god only knows what it must be like living at home and putting up with it.

ReputationRep:
    We really don't know the situation. Sounds like you're not a typical commuter who's wasting huge amounts of time, it could well take you 20 minutes to walk from student digs anyway. Whether or not you want to be around during the divorce is another issue, some people get divorced relatively amicably and some don't. You also haven;t really explained how you'd be set up financially, if it would be a financial burden I'd be reluctant to move out unless you really think the divorce will be messy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medsportslife)

it might be easier on you to actually be out also you Mum might want some time to be alone with other people be it friends or what have you without you there it may be better for her.

ReputationRep:
    oops should have added my financial situation. My parents arent that well off and im surprised if my mum is able to buy the house off my dad. However i get a loan which would cover a cheap rent leaving me about £100/150 a month for food etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.