Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I never really paid much attention to Maths until the end of Y10 or the thought of going to Cambridge so I wasted alot of time. I then decided to really get myself together so I covered the whole A-level maths and further maths in 3 months. Im currently studying a few undergraduate Maths textbooks. I always get the highest in my year in tests by quite a few marks. I've been told by a few teachers im the best in the school maybe to just encourage me. But ive read about trinity and all the IMOs that apply there when I for some reason can never progreas to the next rounds of the UKMT. Should that matter to me or not Im really confused. Thank you for reading this essay Im just worried(Im expected all A*s for my 10 subjects at GCSE )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Human_Being)
    I never really paid much attention to Maths until the end of Y10 or the thought of going to Cambridge so I wasted alot of time. I then decided to really get myself together so I covered the whole A-level maths and further maths in 3 months. Im currently studying a few undergraduate Maths textbooks. I always get the highest in my year in tests by quite a few marks. I've been told by a few teachers im the best in the school maybe to just encourage me. But ive read about trinity and all the IMOs that apply there when I for some reason can never progreas to the next rounds of the UKMT. Should that matter to me or not Im really confused. Thank you for reading this essay Im just worried(Im expected all A*s for my 10 subjects at GCSE )
    whats the best you've got in ukmt

ReputationRep:
    The highest I've got are silver certificates both times I've done it in the past when I know i can do better. Gonna do another one is a few days so maybe gold this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The worst part is I can do the questions perfectly when Im not in an exam atmosphere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you mean you have done the A level & FM exams ?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Human_Being)
    You don't need to be an IMOer, you "just" need to be very good at maths (and that applies to any Cambridge college). Not all good mathmos enjoy UKMT or similar competitions.

STEP is better preparation than UKMT for the simple reason that STEP is a requirement, UKMT is not.

ReputationRep:
    Not sat the exams yet because of changes to the GCSE you know A* to 9 Im expected a 9 but i just put A* for simplicity. Theyre changing a level content too so sitting exams now would become pointless by next year but I have learnt the content and done specimen questions very well so the grade aspect doesnt really worry me. For now anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.