Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever since I have been at uni my mum has been horrible to me. When I call her she makes me feel bad about myself and i instantly cry once I get off the phone. It has gotten to the point where I avoid contacting her but she sends me aggressive texts asking why I don't call her. It makes me upset when I do.

When I went home for Christmas I tried explaining to her that she makes me upset but she keeps on saying that she doesn't want me at uni (away from home) for my second year or otherwise she wont give me any financial support. I like my uni and I want to stay here. I miss the relationship I had with my family before i went to uni because it feels like she doesn't want me anymore as her child. It really upsets me.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that it's your mother, therefore it is a difficult situation. However, if you're happy with what you're doing, then you shouldn't let anybody get in the way of that. Is there any other family member you could speak to? A father, brother, sister? Maybe they could try to speak to your mother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would she have allowed you to go off to uni and now want you back home? Has there been incidences that she's heard about that she doesn't approve of or cause her to worry? Are you off having a fun uni experience but academically not holding your own?
    She would have a say on this if she is paying that bill. I think we need a little bit more input.
    Uni is about more than grades. It is learning how to live independently and how to live with people who aren't your family. Its about meeting responsibilities etc. etc. Does your mom have reason to be concerned about any of these areas?

(Original post by Hopefully1)
    Why would she have allowed you to go off to uni and now want you back home? Has there been incidences that she's heard about that she doesn't approve of or cause her to worry? Are you off having a fun uni experience but academically not holding your own?
    She would have a say on this if she is paying that bill. I think we need a little bit more input.
    Uni is about more than grades. It is learning how to live independently and how to live with people who aren't your family. Its about meeting responsibilities etc. etc. Does your mom have reason to be concerned about any of these areas?
    No she has no reason to be concerned... I am doing really well academically but every time I tell her my achievements she no longer is interested.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she's just upset that you've gone and its her way of demonstrating that. It's not the best way at all, but maybe she's struggling to come to terms with the fact that you've flown the nest.
    Maybe give it time and don't force it, just keep gently reminding her that despite not being at home you will always be her daughter and you will always love her and see her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.