Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a current Y11 student, and am going to take biology, chemistry, maths and german at a level. I have a desire to go into medicine, but biology is one of my worst subjects (I get Bs compared to A*s in most subjects). My favourite subject at the moment is Chemistry, and so I am doubting my aspirations. I am considering doing pharmacology or biochemistry instead of medicine, but I am at a loss as to what to do and people tell me to follow my heart. following my heart would mean going into medicine, but I am unsure as to whether I could get in/cope with the course.

Any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flossg)
    I am a current Y11 student, and am going to take biology, chemistry, maths and german at a level. I have a desire to go into medicine, but biology is one of my worst subjects (I get Bs compared to A*s in most subjects). My favourite subject at the moment is Chemistry, and so I am doubting my aspirations. I am considering doing pharmacology or biochemistry instead of medicine, but I am at a loss as to what to do and people tell me to follow my heart. following my heart would mean going into medicine, but I am unsure as to whether I could get in/cope with the course.

Any advice is appreciated
    Go with Medicine if it's what you really want.

You must be committed, and that commitment must start now. Medicine is very competitive as I'm sure you're aware.
    Identify what you can do better to stop getting B's.

ReputationRep:
    Following your heart is pointless advice if you cannot reach those dreams. It's actually sometimes the worst advice people can give. Be realistic and stand back and look at the situation. If you are able to get A's in most of your subjects then academically you stand a chance, providing your extra-curriculars, work experience and people skills are good.

Also, Medicine for the first year or so is mostly biology (in fact almost the entire course is). The workload is very intense. I'm glad I don't study medicine. It;s the course with the most hours of studying required. Just want to warn you that Biology at A level (especially the A2 part) is infinitely harder than at GCSE.

Whilst expensive and super competitive, there is Graduate Entry Medicine should you choose to study pharmocology or biomed, an still want to pursue medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the bigger picture. Medicine is far more demanding than most courses. It's a lot longer and due to this is more costly, so if you decide to drop it. It will leave you in a lot of debt. Also you´re only in Year 11, wait until year 12, subjects can change dramatically, you can end up loving a subject you hated or hating a subject you loved. Many people like myself decided what I wanted to do during year 12. You don't need to decide now, you have plenty of time. And bottom line is, do what you will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is very biology heavy, but perhaps you will find A-level bio more interesting than GCSE which is very watered down of course.

Just to add that there is no real benefit to doing 4 A-levels, afaik at only only one UK uni will it give you an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is not the same as GCSE biology, A level biology or even a biology degree. It's medicine.

There are areas of overlap, and you need to understand many aspects of human biology, but it's taught in a different way to pure biology at school.

I think it would be best to keep your options open for now. By the sounds of things, you're interested in the life sciences generally and you would still need biology A level for a pharmacology or biochemistry degree. So my advice would be to just try your best and see how things go during the next year or two. If you still want to be a doctor, you can arrange work experience during sixth form and see if it's something you'd be interested in doing. If so, and if you're predicted the right grades, I say go for it - med school is very different to GCSEs and A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Alevel biology and gcse biology are very different. Its important to think about your alevel options being general sl if medicine doesnt work out you can do biochem. My older brother is going into medicine hopefully and he made sure that his options were still open for chemical engineering. Your alevel options do fit for medicine and biochem so maybe you should try ur best and leave it to results day in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to medicine this year, and to be honest I haven't thought hugely about the academic side of things. Obviously medicine is an extremely demanding course, but if you want it bad enough (i.e. want to help people in that way) then that shouldn't matter too much. If you genuinely think that you will struggle to cope with the course then obviously it would be a waste of an application and probably a year of your life, but if you think you can get the grades you need then my advice would be to go for it. Also remember that you are only in Year 11, a lot can change between now and Year 13!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.