Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biology or Chemistry A level for an essay writer? HELP!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I am in Year 11 and my school has opted for the model of 3 A levels, no AS levels and an EPQ style sixth form.

My strengths are very much in writing- I got 100% in my English Coursework and am predicted A* in English and History. I am in top set science, and my recent mocks gave me a result of A* for Chemistry and A (nearly A*) for Biology.

Now to my weaknesses- I suck at Maths. Always have done. I just can't seem to do it. (empirical formulae and moles at Chemistry GCSE haven't been that much of a problem to me, however.) I got a C in my maths mock, but in my defence my maths teacher is shockingly bad and our whole class got C and D grades, even though we are second set out of four and are supposed to be getting A's and B's.

Now to the sticky subject of A levels. I am pretty sure two of my three options are English lit and History. I have no idea what I want to do at uni (maybe law?). I was originally going to do Politics alongside English and History, but three essay writing subjects? Really?
    I have my doubts about Bio- I really cba with graphs and counting daisies in a field in the middle of nowhere. My strengths don't lie in practicals either. Also- how hard is chemistry and is it really that interesting??

So basically I am on the wall between Biology, chemistry and politics. Are three essay writing subjects too much? Is Chemistry better than Bio for me? Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    You need to do 12 practical assessments for both chemistry and biology and have the same layout of questions. Biology has more content to remember however chemistry is more technical

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bio is technically more of an essay writing subject than Chem, but even then, it's not really. You get more long questions (7,8,9 marks) in Bio but you can get all the marks with 9 lines of text at most, or even with bulletpoints.

The practicals are more boring for Bio IMO (and finnicky), and the content level is ridiculous, but Chem is easily manageable (relatively) with repetitive but easier practicals.

The maths in Chem is pretty simple usually, whereas in Bio they can be really hard to interpret. Lot more maths in Chem though.

Chemistry is also more of a "core" science, so if you ever decide to change from the humanities path to the natural sciences, you're better positioned to do so with Chem.

You are more likely to get cancer in Chem though, so keep that in mind. Nonetheless, I'd say choose chem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    The practicals are more boring for Bio IMO (and finnicky), and the content level is ridiculous, but Chem is easily manageable (relatively) with repetitive but easier practicals.
    This is so true! I just hate Bio practicals they just seem so pointless to me...

I don't do Chemistry, I did Psychology instead because I thought it may have been too difficult for me to cope with so I can only speak for Biology.

I do find Biology interesting, but at the same time the amount of content is ridiculous, I have mocks next week and I have no idea what I'm gonna do. If you choose a science, you'll have to do core practicals. I was really worried about this because I hate practical and I'm so bad at it, thought the teachers would be really marking us harshly but honestly they just sit there or run around setting up the practical lmao.

I've heard Chemistry is more conceptually difficult than Biology, but there is less content, but I don't know so listen to those who have done Chem!

Good luck with GCSEs and please don't worry about sixth form too much at the moment - You'll get distracted from your studies and you can always change your choices later (people could change a few weeks into sixth form for where I go so...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie Rey Yates)
    Hey!
    I am in Year 11 and my school has opted for the model of 3 A levels, no AS levels and an EPQ style sixth form.

My strengths are very much in writing- I got 100% in my English Coursework and am predicted A* in English and History. I am in top set science, and my recent mocks gave me a result of A* for Chemistry and A (nearly A*) for Biology.

Now to my weaknesses- I suck at Maths. Always have done. I just can't seem to do it. (empirical formulae and moles at Chemistry GCSE haven't been that much of a problem to me, however.) I got a C in my maths mock, but in my defence my maths teacher is shockingly bad and our whole class got C and D grades, even though we are second set out of four and are supposed to be getting A's and B's.

Now to the sticky subject of A levels. I am pretty sure two of my three options are English lit and History. I have no idea what I want to do at uni (maybe law?). I was originally going to do Politics alongside English and History, but three essay writing subjects? Really?
    I have my doubts about Bio- I really cba with graphs and counting daisies in a field in the middle of nowhere. My strengths don't lie in practicals either. Also- how hard is chemistry and is it really that interesting??

So basically I am on the wall between Biology, chemistry and politics. Are three essay writing subjects too much? Is Chemistry better than Bio for me? Ugh.
    I do politics and biology. Biology isn't great if your not great at math as 15% of the paper is now maths questions. Politics is really interesting and could help you decide whether to do law as part of the course is on the judiciary and Supreme Court. In terms of essay writing the length of essays are much shorter than history and English lit.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say biology. The maths is a lot easier than in chemistry and if you are willing to spend time memorising content, it would be better overall in my opinion. I got A* in maths and chemistry at gcse, and am doing maths a level, but still find that the more mathsy questions in chemistry are challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Biology has a 25 marker essay question at the end of paper 3

ReputationRep:
    I am an essay writer, too, but am taking Chem, Bio, and Geog. I got a B in maths GCSE.

The maths in chemistry is really hard. Even the people taking maths A Level find it difficult. However, it seems that if you just repeat the questions a lot, you will get it eventually. Practicals are easy but repetitive, as stated before.

Biology is just a memorization subject. For long questions it seems to be a battle of simply picking out key words for marks. Practicals are so easy you could do them blindfolded.

It really depends where your interests lie. I find Chemistry easier, simply because it is so much more interesting! I used to absolutely adore biology, but now I am really finding it boring and repetitive. I only enjoy the biochem aspects. Take a look at the textbooks, and see how interesting you find the syllabi. Don't feel daunted by the complexity - you'll understand it when the time comes - just look at the topics. This is something I wish someone had told me when I picked my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say biology, since your good at writing that'll help you. There's alottttttt of maths in chemistry and some of the questions can be really hard, like sometimes you need to work out X, and there can be lots of steps to it.. Biology there is a lot of things to remember but I don't find it that bad, as for the practicals they're quite easy I would say.

ReputationRep:
    I took Biology and Chemistry in my AS year, I'm predicted an A in biology and got a U in chemistry last year and dropped it. Personally chemistry is a lot more technical, not so great if you are an essay writer. In biology there is a 25 mark synoptic essay on paper 3, and there are also a lot more longer answer questions in biology, I prefer writing essays so I would go with biology if I were you. But really just pick the subjects you enjoy the most, you're stuck with them for two years and they are a lot of work, if you pick a subject you hate you are going to be less motivated to revise for it.

ReputationRep:
    Biology definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.