Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to student room. I have recently recieved my GCSE options form and I am stuck between choosing history or geography. I am equally good at both and my exam boards are:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

I do not wish to drop any subjects i choose in year 10 so I need help making the right choice!

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    I would say that Geography is the easier of the two, personally I believe it to be a lot more interesting but I guess that would differ person to person. Choose whatever you enjoy more, it's much easier to study for a subject you'll like than one you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by These)
    I would say that Geography is the easier of the two, personally I believe it to be a lot more interesting but I guess that would differ person to person. Choose whatever you enjoy more, it's much easier to study for a subject you'll like than one you don't like.
    Thanks so much , need all the advice i can get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaihgs123)
    Hi, I am new to student room. I have recently recieved my GCSE options form and I am stuck between choosing history or geography. I am equally good at both and my exam boards are:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

I do not wish to drop any subjects i choose in year 10 so I need help making the right choice!

Thank You
    Which do you enjoy more?

Personally, i did geography and loved it. Didnt do history though so cant comment on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Which do you enjoy more?

Personally, i did geography and loved it. Didnt do history though so cant comment on that.
    I guess I enjoy geography more

ReputationRep:
    Do not pick history! Speaking from experience, i am in year 11. I loved history up until i decided to pick it as a gcse. Firstly, i was getting a*s in it throughout, i was the best in my year at history so it seemed like a no brainer to do history gcse. I also enjoyed geography and was still good at it. Now, in year 11 im getting Cs and Ds so god knows what happened. Unless you truly believe that you will excel in history, want to study it in the future/ need history for a career, or have an extreme passion for history- do not pick it.

I dont want to make any decisions for you of course, however that was just my experience with History GCSE, yours may be different. However, do make sure that you carefully look through the subject content for each subject, speak to your teachers and then decide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess I enjoy geography more
    Id do geography then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_a1)
    Do not pick history! Speaking from experience, i am in year 11. I loved history up until i decided to pick it as a gcse. Firstly, i was getting a*s in it throughout, i was the best in my year at history so it seemed like a no brainer to do history gcse. I also enjoyed geography and was still good at it. Now, in year 11 im getting Cs and Ds so god knows what happened. Unless you truly believe that you will excel in history, want to study it in the future/ need history for a career, or have an extreme passion for history- do not pick it.

I dont want to make any decisions for you of course, however that was just my experience with History GCSE, yours may be different. However, do make sure that you carefully look through the subject content for each subject, speak to your teachers and then decide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh that must have been awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_a1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What GCSE board did you have though?

ReputationRep:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

Thank You
    History is better for developing essay skills and is good for a future in English Lit, Law etc. Geography is better for sciences and less-essayish styles.

I hope you make the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenBrooke)
    History is better for developing essay skills and is good for a future in English Lit, Law etc. Geography is better for sciences and less-essayish styles.

I hope you make the right decision.
    Thank you for guiding me

ReputationRep:
    Geography would probably lead to wider career options. Though it's only GCSE so either are good. It's more relevant to the present and future, so I find it more interesting. But it's up to you.

Probably won't matter much in the long run. Just pick one a roll with it.

ReputationRep:
    Take a STEM wtf

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for guiding me
    You're welcome. I did both Geography and History, and found both okay subjects, though the breadth for Geography was huge and revision really stressed me out. However, History can get very boring if you're not super interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the topics u do for history it can be really interesting, me and one of my friends always argue about which is better, i say history, he says geography

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

Thank You
    I do history AQA and I do enjoy it a lot, might even do it for A-level. If you think about it all you have to do is recall and apply that knowledge to questions. If you just keep replaying events and facts in your head then they'll become second nature to you and you'll ace your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahyi)
    I do history AQA and I do enjoy it a lot, might even do it for A-level. If you think about it all you have to do is recall and apply that knowledge to questions. If you just keep replaying events and facts in your head then they'll become second nature to you and you'll ace your exams
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE history and I enjoyed it a lot it was I enjoyed the majority of the topics and I didn't need to study to do well. History is fairly logical, everything is in dated order.

My friends who did History and Geography all said history was more fun. Geography was a lot of memorisation of case studies which everyone complained about.

But bottom line is, what do you enjoy more? If you´re not sure maybe look through some textbooks to get a feel for the topics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_a1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't use this guys comment, because it's representitive of history GCSE at all. History at GCSE is relatively easy as long as you can remember some key dates and comments, and know what kind of things will come up. For example, if I were to do a test on Nazi Germany, it's almost a certainty that questions on attitudes towards kids, attitudes towards women or/and attitudes towards minorities will come up. It's not a hard exam to get an A* or an A in, as you don't need to look at every single piece in detail, but just get a few bullet points per event and you're fine. Geography I heard you had to learn over 50 different case studies. History is much more interesting Imo, and the guy who I quoted obviously hasn't been working at all or has had external problems. History is really not that hard, and is much more interesting than learning about parts of a river

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inister)
    Geography would probably lead to wider career options. Though it's only GCSE so either are good. It's more relevant to the present and future, so I find it more interesting. But it's up to you.

Probably won't matter much in the long run. Just pick one a roll with it.
    Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.