Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    Take a STEM wtf
    ???

ReputationRep:
    So some say history some say geography ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaihgs123)
    What GCSE board did you have though?
    AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Don't use this guys comment, because it's representitive of history GCSE at all. History at GCSE is relatively easy as long as you can remember some key dates and comments, and know what kind of things will come up. For example, if I were to do a test on Nazi Germany, it's almost a certainty that questions on attitudes towards kids, attitudes towards women or/and attitudes towards minorities will come up. It's not a hard exam to get an A* or an A in, as you don't need to look at every single piece in detail, but just get a few bullet points per event and you're fine. Geography I heard you had to learn over 50 different case studies. History is much more interesting Imo, and the guy who I quoted obviously hasn't been working at all or has had external problems. History is really not that hard, and is much more interesting than learning about parts of a river

What a load of utter crap you've just unloaded. You dont know the first thing about me so keep your "external problems" to your foolish self. Ive been working my socks off to pass history gcse so your a complete joke creating false images to people saying history gcse is easy. Please go and educate yourself because it is not a walk in the park for everyone. "Some key dates" hahahahahaha you have to learn numerous dates, numerous events, and numerous effects. Dont start assuming or judging on the internet again. Educate yourself thanks bye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_a1)
    What a load of utter crap you've just unloaded. You dont know the first thing about me so keep your "external problems" to your foolish self. Ive been working my socks off to pass history gcse so your a complete joke creating false images to people saying history gcse is easy. Please go and educate yourself because it is not a walk in the park for everyone. "Some key dates" hahahahahaha you have to learn numerous dates, numerous events, and numerous effects. Dont start assuming or judging on the internet again. Educate yourself thanks bye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Educate yourself? I didn't realise your life story was available on the internet. The reason I suggested it's because you haven't been working or because of external problems is because most people wouldn't struggle atleast passing history. You say you get A* in year 9, but then get can't even get Cs in GCSE, which suggest soemthing has gone wrong. The course doesn't get harder, just requires some effort. As I said, memorise some key dates and a few bullet points per event, they all end up linking together if you really understand it. History won't require you to "work your socks off", so don't be put off by a few anomalies. Imo history is more interesting so you'll probably be more motivated to revise and understand it over geography which can get a bit tedious. Good luck in whatever you pick

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to student room. I have recently recieved my GCSE options form and I am stuck between choosing history or geography. I am equally good at both and my exam boards are:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-

I do not wish to drop any subjects i choose in year 10 so I need help making the right choice!

Thank You
    I love gcse geography, it's not easy but no gcse's are and history certainly isn't either! I don't think you can rely on people on the internet to help you choose, it's really your decision. However I would say that geography case studies are not the most enjoyable part. You learn around 20/30 but some are just having to know details of a country (for example, one of my case studies is Dubai and all I have to know are human and physical attractions, that's it!) Don't let the thought of the case studies put you off. I've heard from my friends that the history CAU's are hard and you have to be good at source analysis and remembering lots of dates, causes and effects of events. Whatever you choose I know it will be enjoyable, both are good options.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing History, mainly because i found geo real boring and pointless (plus I never really paid attention oops) but it depends on you. If you like essay writing (there is extended writing in both subjects) but History if you like more essays and geog is basically a human science and more factual i guess, so if you like dealing with numbers vs analyzing texts and things

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 doing AQA history and I really like it. Yes there is a lot of content to remember but for each topic it all links together so as long as you have a general understanding of what was going on it's not too hard to put your knowledge of different events together to answer the questions. Also the papers follow a set structure with the same type of questions in the same order every year so your teacher should be able to help you understand how to lay out your response to each type of question that comes up. I don't do geography but my friend does, she says it's interesting but there are a lot of case studies to remember. It seems like the differences are history is more essay based with more limited but in depth content, geography is more factual/ scientific with a greater breadth of content that is possibly less specific. So I guess go with whatever sounds more appealing to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HISTORYHISTORYHISTORYYYYY! Everyone in my school hates Geography, especially the coursework in year 11! So thankful that I took history, I love it!

ReputationRep:
    K thanks guys for all guidance . Really needed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing History for GCSE. It's so interesting, and most people in my year say that. It's definitely my all time favourite lesson. It is quite a big workload, there's a lot to remember, including lots of key dates and statistics. I do find that you will have to dedicate quite a bit of your revision time to it. However, I don't find it that tedious to revise as like I said, it's very interesting. I don't do Geography, but from what I've heard, it's quite easy to get a good mark in, and there's less to remember than in History. That being said, the people who do both History and Geography in my year definitely prefer History. Whilst both do open up a lot of doors, History is very well respected

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am new to student room. I have recently recieved my GCSE options form and I am stuck between choosing history or geography. I am equally good at both and my exam boards are:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

I do not wish to drop any subjects i choose in year 10 so I need help making the right choice!

Thank You
    Having studied both for GCSE and A Level I would most definitely recommend History over Geography. Geography is an amazing subject, there's no doubt about that and it gives you such a deep insight into the world. However, having studied History also, I found it improved my critical thinking skills far more as it encourages you to think more deeply and to make connections between historical events. At A Level I found this to be even more crucial as you consider the cause and significance of historical events, not just memorising dates like some people wrongly state. Even at A Level I found Geography to involve far less critical thinking than History. Best of luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    I do both, geography is much more interesting and easier to revise IMO. History is fairly interesting (but less I think), but a lot more focus is into long answer questions and how to answer them, aswell as the actual content. TBH I would do both.

ReputationRep:
    do history, it really does help english essay writing skills like others have said and it's more memorization, the exam technique isn't as complex as geography's. Plus there is way less content than in geography which is packkkkeddd and if you don't have a natural love for geography, do NOT take it because it is easy, it will become soooo boring. In History it is always interesting though plus you can watch movies/videos in class.
    I take both atm (year 11) and i took history just because, and geography because i found it easy in year 9 but i really prefer history

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR Geography and it was my favourite GCSE subject. The topics cover a lot and any extra reading you do around the subjects does actually gain you extra marks in the exam. It wasn't too intense a subject as well.

ReputationRep:
    I do not recommend geography at all... I'm currently on year 11 and myself along with the entire year have all completely failed our mocks due to the vast amount of case studies you need to learn. There are 9+ case studies for each theme in which you have to learn specific facts. Not only this but the 11 mark questions are usually specific to 2 or 3 case studies but in the exam it does not tell you which one to write about. If you have a good memory then geography is fine but you need to have a practically photographic memory to be able to get the high grades.
    I can't comment on history though as I did not take it and in the long run it is completely up to you

ReputationRep:
    I did history GCSE but from what I've heard about geography it's really important to learn case studies compared to history where you learn a continuous piece of information, almost like i story, which i would assume is easier to learn. The most important consideration is you essay writing skills as history exams consist of essays of varying length.

ReputationRep:
    i do history (y11) and really enjoy it but i also think it's down to what you're going to be studying (for example i did china), also look at the exam results in your school for both but ultimately do what you think you'll enjoy the most as the you'll have more determination to stick with it
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    I love history (I do AQA) . It's really helped me with English and gives me context on current events. It's not too hard since events are quite memorable and once you've got the question structure all you need to do is apply knowledge.

Can't say much about Geography, but my friend's always complaining about her chunky textbook and the alledged 3 hour exam lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.