Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I chose both history and geography at GCSE (I'm in year 11 now), and I would personally recommend history, but I am biased as I'm planning to do it at A level!
    They both have advantages and disadvantages. History is great as it makes your essay writing skills better, but it is a lot of information to remember.
    Geography, as others have said, links well with sciences, and I do find it quite easy to do, but I know that the revision before the exams will be hard! I mainly picked geography because I had the opportunity to go on a school trip to Spain with geography, but it is very interesting.
    In my experience, I did one of 3 history exams at the end of year 10, and I'm doing the coursework now. I definitely would say that it is worth looking into the exams for both subjects, as all my geography exams are at the end of the year and it is less spread out.
    Overall, they are both looked on highly, and are interesting. History gives you a great insight into events in the past (and helps you understand events happening now, which has made me a lot more educated in politics!). I would have to say history is better, as it has made me more aware of the world in many ways that Geography has not.
    However, it is up to you. I hope you figure it all out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Don't use this guys comment, because it's representitive of history GCSE at all. History at GCSE is relatively easy as long as you can remember some key dates and comments, and know what kind of things will come up. For example, if I were to do a test on Nazi Germany, it's almost a certainty that questions on attitudes towards kids, attitudes towards women or/and attitudes towards minorities will come up. It's not a hard exam to get an A* or an A in, as you don't need to look at every single piece in detail, but just get a few bullet points per event and you're fine. Geography I heard you had to learn over 50 different case studies. History is much more interesting Imo, and the guy who I quoted obviously hasn't been working at all or has had external problems. History is really not that hard, and is much more interesting than learning about parts of a river
    Thank you for your comment. I'm currently also choosing my GCSE options and I'm only in year 8. I wanted to pick both History and Geography but thought it would be very difficult. I love History more than I do Geography. I'm good in both. Everyone says its very hard and it's impossible to get As and A*s and this is killing me. Do you think I should pick both? and is History as they describe as you have had experience? The answers would be very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazhaz)
    Thank you for your comment. I'm currently also choosing my GCSE options and I'm only in year 8. I wanted to pick both History and Geography but thought it would be very difficult. I love History more than I do Geography. I'm good in both. Everyone says its very hard and it's impossible to get As and A*s and this is killing me. Do you think I should pick both? and is History as they describe as you have had experience? The answers would be very helpful
    Well, I'm predicted an A* and it really isn't that hard. The hardest part is the coursework, and you get a sheet (well in the letter grades as opposed to numbers you do). Pick both, I wish I had, and you can get A* in both

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering, I have always thought it was hard but now I don't. I will pick both. My teachers advise us to pick one pracical, because we have the luxury of not having blocks, did you and do you advise too?

ReputationRep:
    Nah I don't get advice and I can only pick 3 so I need either history or geography as my last one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaihgs123)
    Hi, I am new to student room. I have recently recieved my GCSE options form and I am stuck between choosing history or geography. I am equally good at both and my exam boards are:
    -OCR-Geography
    -AQA-History

I do not wish to drop any subjects i choose in year 10 so I need help making the right choice!

Thank You
    i personally like history better than geography. Also choose what is more useful in contributing to your desired future career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.