The Student Room Group

What is EBacc and is it useful?

Hi guys, I am about to make my GCSE options and I already know I am going to do computer science and French for definite. I am unsure whether to choose a humanity or some particular arts subjects as my last one.

I want to study medicine in the future so I am exploring more about Ebacc.
What is it and is it useful for medicine ?

Thank You
Reply 1
From my understanding ebacc is just a name given to these combinations of GCSE subjects: humanities (not RE I don't think), maths, languages, English and science. It does NOT give you any official certificates if you choose to take these combinations of subjects but it's just set up by the government to try and get students to take up these subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by jaihgs123
Hi guys, I am about to make my GCSE options and I already know I am going to do computer science and French for definite. I am unsure whether to choose a humanity or some particular arts subjects as my last one.

I want to study medicine in the future so I am exploring more about Ebacc.
What is it and is it useful for medicine ?

Thank You

It's merely a specific combination of GCSE subjects:
* English
* Maths
* History OR Geography
* A foreign language
* the sciences
The government considers them "important" and uses it as a performance measure for schools. They also planned to award pupils a separate certificate if they achieved minimum C's across all of them but dropped the idea.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/english-baccalaureate-ebacc/english-baccalaureate-ebacc

It's not required for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest