Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are USA students treated at UK university ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    Like rockstars. I'm not even American but I have the accent so everyone adored me even though I am admittedly a massive tool. You'll be fine 👍🏾

ReputationRep:
    US student don't fit in mainly because they don't know how to pronounce aluminium properly.

ReputationRep:
    Like outcasts....

Just kidding.

Seriously, there are so many international students in British Universities, you definitely wouldn't be the one with the biggest cultural gap to cross. Besides, living and studying in another country is an amazing opportunity that will really mature you and expand your horizons in many ways. As long as you're open and friendly... which I'm sure you will be, then things will be fine.
    I think the only difference I've sometimes come across is when some Americans don't get sarcasm. But hey... if you don't get it before you get to England, you'll pick it up in a few months.
    And people love different accents.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you say the word soccer out loud, you will be crucified.

If you put the date in the Month/Day format, you will be crucified as well.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly likely playful nagging about pronunciation and spelling.

ReputationRep:
    I would say in general Americans fit in as long as they don't talk about religious and political matters, and walk on the right side of the line between being extroverted and culturally inappropriate. However in practice a lot of them don't manage this and so end up being a lot more limited in their social opportunities.

Basically you have to figure out how to be an American with a European mindset i.e. be apologetic for the existence of Trump and agree that he's a worse issue than Brexit, realise that the democratic party is nowhere near as left wing as a 'left' leaning party in a major Western country should be, don't mention religion unless it's brought up by someone else and your point of view is its irrelevancy, be outgoing but don't overdo it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.