Debate on this video: What are your views? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    No it also makes me feel more confident. :yep:
    So it's not because you just "want to"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dindu)
    So it's not because you just "want to"
    I go to school without wearing makeup if I feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    She is totally right, and isn't attacking women who do wear makeup. I became obsessed with wearing makeup when I was at school and would feel that I couldn't leave the house without wearing it. Thankfully now I enjoy wearing it when I want to, but I wouldn't bother getting up super early in order to put it on. What the other woman says about women not being professional if they don't wear makeup is ridiculous, why should a woman be judged on whether they wear makeup?

ReputationRep:
    As a girl that doesn't wear makeup the fact that this debate even exists makes me sad

ReputationRep:
    No it also makes me feel more confident. :yep:
    Hey there, do you mind if I ask you what you think of girls without makeup?

ReputationRep:
    Why is this even a debate?
    If you want to wear makeup, good for you!
    If you don't, good for you!

I'm pretty ****ing happy with how I look and still wear makeup
    I don't get how it ties in with being professional hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Hey there, do you mind if I ask you what you think of girls without makeup?
    Good for them. I just get a bit annoyed when some girls brag about not wearing makeup constantly. I don't wear makeup sometimes if i'm feeling lazy.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    3.762/10.

ReputationRep:
    Good for them. I just get a bit annoyed when some girls brag about not wearing makeup constantly. I don't wear makeup sometimes if i'm feeling lazy.
    Can see what you mean Yeah it annoys me too tbh, I didn't even realise not wearing makeup was that big of a deal, until I watched this video and was reminded.
    • Political Ambassador

One thing is clear tho. These two women actually look like they're going to kill each other after. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    She is totally right, and isn't attacking women who do wear makeup. I became obsessed with wearing makeup when I was at school and would feel that I couldn't leave the house without wearing it. Thankfully now I enjoy wearing it when I want to, but I wouldn't bother getting up super early in order to put it on. What the other woman says about women not being professional if they don't wear makeup is ridiculous, why should a woman be judged on whether they wear makeup?
    Your looks are all part of the package. People ARE judged on how they look and if make-up enhances the way you look then applying it will make you more successful as the study that they brought up in the video indicated. It follows therefore that the boss should be concerned with the appearance of his/her employees in addition to their actual work.

'unprofessional' : below or contrary to the standards expected in a particular profession.

If ones job involves face-to-face contact with customers, not wearing make-up could be detrimental to your success and result in your work being 'below the standards expected in a particular profession'. Same goes for males regarding appearance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen22)
    Your looks are all part of the package. People ARE judged on how they look and if make-up enhances the way you look then applying it will make you more successful as the study that they brought up in the video indicated. It follows therefore that the boss should be concerned with the appearance of his/her employees in addition to their actual work.

'unprofessional' : below or contrary to the standards expected in a particular profession.

If ones job involves face-to-face contact with customers, not wearing make-up could be detrimental to your success and result in your work being 'below the standards expected in a particular profession'. Same goes for males regarding appearance.
    I do realise that you are reacting based on the study and the shape of society today. But your reply suggests you are trying to justify that bosses should dictate their employees' appearances.

You seem to be implying that if a person - going by subjective standards of beauty - is deemed ugly, their appearance can be brought more in line with socially acceptable standards by smearing pigments on their face. Thus they should be obliged to use makeup in the name of professionalism? This seems unjust. More 'beautiful' people can get away with not hiding their natural appearance? (How do we judge what is favourable and what is not favourable when it comes to looks?)

Why should females have to put stuff on their face to be professional? Are you saying that males should have to use makeup if their appearance is lacklustre? A bit of concealer on blemishes? Eyeliner to define their eyes? Lipstick to make their lips plumper and more youthful looking?

It is a sad indictment of society that a person is judged on their looks to such an extent that masking their features is deemed practically essential for professional capacity.

Furthermore, should bosses really meddle in their employees' lives so intimately? It's worrying how looks can potentially undermine how hard someone has worked to reach their position in the workplace.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the make up free women. I don't think women need makeup at all...I don't think it's fair for women to feel pressured to wear it. The makeup women just seemed so shallow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    I do realise that you are reacting based on the study and the shape of society today. But your reply suggests you are trying to justify that bosses should dictate their employees' appearances.

You seem to be implying that if a person - going by subjective standards of beauty - is deemed ugly, their appearance can be brought more in line with socially acceptable standards by smearing pigments on their face. Thus they should be obliged to use makeup in the name of professionalism? This seems unjust. More 'beautiful' people can get away with not hiding their natural appearance? (How do we judge what is favourable and what is not favourable when it comes to looks?)

Why should females have to put stuff on their face to be professional? Are you saying that males should have to use makeup if their appearance is lacklustre? A bit of concealer on blemishes? Eyeliner to define their eyes? Lipstick to make their lips plumper and more youthful looking?

It is a sad indictment of society that a person is judged on their looks to such an extent that masking their features is deemed practically essential for professional capacity.

Furthermore, should bosses really meddle in their employees' lives so intimately? It's worrying how looks can potentially undermine how hard someone has worked to reach their position in the workplace.
    Everything that defines a certain person is determined by chance since everything is determined by either environmental or genetic factors over which the person has no say in (even how good you are at working hard as you mention in your final paragraph). Therefore by your logic it would also be 'unjust' to hire someone based on their speaking skills or any other quality that would be beneficial for the job.

Bosses should have some say in their employees' appearances and they already do, dress code being an obvious example.

For male appearances, the emphasis is more on having a good physique or a nice haircut than wearing make-up, so wearing more than a little make up will probably not yield better returns (it might even yield negative returns if the customers spot this since it is unconventional for males to wear make-up).

Pretty obvious what appearance is favourable - that which will get the most customers to buy your product.

Don't misconstrue what I am saying as a view that appearance is always important. It is barely important for someone who isn't in view of any customers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, it is very important for models or prostitutes. Bosses should therefore factor in looks accordingly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.