The Student Room Group

Aberdeen or Durham pls help

I've applied from the EU to study biomedical sciences and I have offers from Aberdeen Uni and Durham.. I want to go to Durham but the tuition fees and living costs are much higher than in Aberdeen. If I were to choose Durham it would cost me much more so I was just thinking whether Aberdeen Uni is much worse? Can someone please tell me if going to Aberdeen versus Durham could affect my future job in the field, meaning is Durham recognized as a better uni in the UK? Thank you.
Reply 1
I've applied from the EU to study biomedical sciences and I have offers from Aberdeen Uni and Durham.. I want to go to Durham but the tuition fees and living costs are much higher than in Aberdeen. If I were to choose Durham it would cost me much more so I was just thinking whether Aberdeen Uni is much worse? Can someone please tell me if going to Aberdeen versus Durham could affect my future job in the field, meaning is Durham recognized as a better uni in the UK?
Thank you.
Original post by alexandrava
I've applied from the EU to study biomedical sciences and I have offers from Aberdeen Uni and Durham.. I want to go to Durham but the tuition fees and living costs are much higher than in Aberdeen. If I were to choose Durham it would cost me much more so I was just thinking whether Aberdeen Uni is much worse? Can someone please tell me if going to Aberdeen versus Durham could affect my future job in the field, meaning is Durham recognized as a better uni in the UK?
Thank you.

I'd advise that you go to Aberdeen. Any pay premium claimed or demonstrated as attaching to Durham should be understood as informed by the fact that Durham students will much more usually be drawn from London and the South East, where pay is higher, and will more likely seek jobs there. I think as well that biomedical sciences is a determinedly non-snotty employment area, such that partitioned data for the subject would narrow that difference still further.

The university that you attend bears somewhat on your first job and ever less on every job applied for subsequent to that. I cannot think that the Durham degree would here be worth 30 grand more than that at Aberdeen. And if going to that latter afforded you, say, a third of that money 'saved' to set yourself up in London (or Edinburgh, or wherever the jobs and money are in your home country) then choosing the Aberdeen degree would be worth more to you.
Original post by alexandrava
I've applied from the EU to study biomedical sciences and I have offers from Aberdeen Uni and Durham.. I want to go to Durham but the tuition fees and living costs are much higher than in Aberdeen. If I were to choose Durham it would cost me much more so I was just thinking whether Aberdeen Uni is much worse? Can someone please tell me if going to Aberdeen versus Durham could affect my future job in the field, meaning is Durham recognized as a better uni in the UK? Thank you.

It's true that Durham is a prestigious university (note: prestige does not equal quality), but Aberdeen is still a very respectable university. I don't think having a degree from Aberdeen rather than Durham will have any negative impact on your career prospects. Out of interest, what will you be studying/what do you want to do for a career?
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
It's true that Durham is a prestigious university (note: prestige does not equal quality), but Aberdeen is still a very respectable university. I don't think having a degree from Aberdeen rather than Durham will have any negative impact on your career prospects. Out of interest, what will you be studying/what do you want to do for a
career?

Thanks for your reply! I will be studying Biomedical Sciences, and as my future career I'm mostly interested in genetic engineering as a form of treatments if that makes any sense :smile:
Still not quite sure what that profession is called
I know this is 4 years old but I’ve been a student at both, and honestly preferred my time at Aberdeen so much more. There’s a reason why it’s ranked so highly for student satisfaction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending