Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

soooo nervous when i have driving lessons what should i do?? Watch

i've been having driving lessons since april 2016 (not 9 months worth of lessons tho since i took some breaks) and i'm still not that great at driving and i get nervous before my lessons...i feel a bit better in the lesson but i make mistakes here and there...i stalled twice last week and it just put me in a really bad mood for that day. What can i do about this nervousness?

ReputationRep:
    When you're in that car, forget all this nonsense of 'I only get one life. It's not a game anymore' (That's what I'm scared of :eek:)

Instead, use the instructor effectively. Perhaps you could ask them to show you a test run at first and try to replicate, all the while paying extremely close attention to help improve?

Get help from an experienced driver friend/family member?

Gd luck. You'll be a great driver :driver::auto:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I would always get nervous before and during my driving lessons too, even when I was at test standard! Does your driving instructor let you go at your own pace, or are they trying to do things in a time frame that they think is suitable? The best thing I did when learning to drive was tell my instructor that I wasn't confident enough to do the things she wanted me to do, and we took things more slowly until I built my confidence up. As you get more confident your nervousness will hopefully lessen. Also, try not to let stalling get you down, everyone does it, even drivers who have passed their test! Learning to drive isn't easy, don't beat yourself up about the mistakes you make

ReputationRep:
    Practise will make you better/less nervous.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i've been having driving lessons since april 2016 (not 9 months worth of lessons tho since i took some breaks) and i'm still not that great at driving and i get nervous before my lessons...i feel a bit better in the lesson but i make mistakes here and there...i stalled twice last week and it just put me in a really bad mood for that day. What can i do about this nervousness?
    Stalling is not bad at all, it happens all the time to everyone, don't worry about that because to stall doesn't make one a bad driver.

(Original post by BrainyBengali)
    When you're in that car, forget all this nonsense of 'I only get one life. It's not a game anymore' (That's what I'm scared of :eek:)

Instead, use the instructor effectively. Perhaps you could ask them to show you a test run at first and try to replicate, all the while paying extremely close attention to help improve?

Get help from an experienced driver friend/family member?

Gd luck. You'll be a great driver :driver::auto:
    oh getting my instructor to do a test run sounds like a good idea, i'll try that tomorrow thanks

(Original post by Leviathan1741)
    I would always get nervous before and during my driving lessons too, even when I was at test standard! Does your driving instructor let you go at your own pace, or are they trying to do things in a time frame that they think is suitable? The best thing I did when learning to drive was tell my instructor that I wasn't confident enough to do the things she wanted me to do, and we took things more slowly until I built my confidence up. As you get more confident your nervousness will hopefully lessen. Also, try not to let stalling get you down, everyone does it, even drivers who have passed their test! Learning to drive isn't easy, don't beat yourself up about the mistakes you make
    this made be feel slightly better haha honestly i don't feel like i'm going at the pace i want to, when i'm driving my instructor tries to get me to answer so many questions about how to do this or that and i get distracted i'm not so comfortable driving on main roads and roundabouts it still stresses me out even though i've been doing it for a while however i don't think my instructor would want me to slow down :/

(Original post by These)
    Practise will make you better/less nervous.
    that's true, i'll try get some practice outside of lessons, thanks

(Original post by Rexar)
    Stalling is not bad at all, it happens all the time to everyone, don't worry about that because to stall doesn't make one a bad driver.
    hmm i see, but i've been driving for a while now so i feel like i shouldn't stalling but yet i still am :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    this made be feel slightly better haha honestly i don't feel like i'm going at the pace i want to, when i'm driving my instructor tries to get me to answer so many questions about how to do this or that and i get distracted i'm not so comfortable driving on main roads and roundabouts it still stresses me out even though i've been doing it for a while however i don't think my instructor would want me to slow down :/
    I had this problem too, my instructor wanted me doing main roads and roundabouts etc before I felt ready. After I explained to her that I wanted to continue with the basics and gain some more confidence, we took things more slowly and I progressed much quicker. I definitely think it's something worth mentioning, your instructor should be understanding. You're the one learning to drive, not them, so make your lessons about what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    This Op! Could not have written it more eloquently. You need to stay calm and relaxed before driving. Free your mind and just concentrate on the driving lesson. Some people take longer to learn how to drive, but that's okay. You do not have to beat yourself over it.

I had this problem too, my instructor wanted me doing main roads and roundabouts etc before I felt ready. After I explained to her that I wanted to continue with the basics and gain some more confidence, we took things more slowly and I progressed much quicker. I definitely think it's something worth mentioning, your instructor should be understanding. You're the one learning to drive, not them, so make your lessons about what you want to do
    i see, i'll bring it up with my instructor tomorrow, hopefully he's understanding
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    This Op! Could not have written it more eloquently. You need to stay calm and relaxed before driving. Free your mind and just concentrate on the driving lesson. Some people take longer to learn how to drive, but that's okay. You do not have to beat yourself over it.
    i'm really bad at keeping myself relaxed, but then when i'm on the road i feel a bit more relaxed i guesss...however sometimes i get so nervous that my legs shake and then i feel like i'm about to lose control of the car

ReputationRep:
    i see, i'll bring it up with my instructor tomorrow, hopefully he's understanding

i'm really bad at keeping myself relaxed, but then when i'm on the road i feel a bit more relaxed i guesss...however sometimes i get so nervous that my legs shake and then i feel like i'm about to lose control of the car
    Then I would recommend you maybe watch youtube videos on driving lessons to help with the nerves, before going for your lessons. Before your legs start to shake, psych yourself up and focus on your driving. I feel that it's fear that makes you scared. What are you scared about when driving?

Then I would recommend you maybe watch youtube videos on driving lessons to help with the nerves, before going for your lessons. Before your legs start to shake, psych yourself up and focus on your driving. I feel that it's fear that makes you scared. What are you scared about when driving?
    i'm afraid of things like damaging the car, doing something wrong in the middle of a road which then holds up the traffic ...this has unfortunately happened however

ReputationRep:
    i'm afraid of things like damaging the car, doing something wrong in the middle of a road which then holds up the traffic ...this has unfortunately happened however
    No one is a perfect driver to be honest. You just need to stay calm and be conscious of what's happening around you by using your side mirrors and developing spacial awareness when passing between parked cars for example.
    Doing something wrong? Do explain more. Do you mean like practicing your manoeuvres with other people behind you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one is a perfect driver to be honest. You just need to stay calm and be conscious of what's happening around you by using your side mirrors and developing spacial awareness when passing between parked cars for example.
    Doing something wrong? Do explain more. Do you mean like practicing your manoeuvres with other people behind you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not exactly that, i'm ok with manoeuvres but wrong things for example like last week i was driving and the car in front of me had to stop because an accident ahead, i tried to stop as well but when i was gonna drive off again i stalled and so many drivers in the cars behind got annoyed Another time i stalled at a traffic light when it went green and before i could drive off again it went red

ReputationRep:
    Learn in an automatic?
    They're the future of cars anyway.
    I'm learning with an automatic car but that's because I get pains in my left foot so it's easier only to worry about my right otherwise I'd probs be manual.
    But if the anxiety is really getting to you then I'd recommend trying out an automatic instead.

(Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Learn in an automatic?
    They're the future of cars anyway.
    I'm learning with an automatic car but that's because I get pains in my left foot so it's easier only to worry about my right otherwise I'd probs be manual.
    But if the anxiety is really getting to you then I'd recommend trying out an automatic instead.
    i've thought about it but i really want to pass my test in a manual car, i've spent so long driving in manual now i feel like i would have just wasted my money on these lessons if i switch to automatic

ReputationRep:
    i've thought about it but i really want to pass my test in a manual car, i've spent so long driving in manual now i feel like i would have just wasted my money on these lessons if i switch to automatic
    You wouldn't have wasted your money, probably means you'll find automatic driving easier if you've been learning in manual for a long time. It just means you would be less anxious of stalling and may pass your test earlier. Just means if you pass an automatic driving test you can't drive a manual car but just learning in automatic doesn't mean once you're more comfortable driving you couldn't do a few lesssons and then do another test in manual. Just an idea.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you shouldn't drive XD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.