Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to a uni about an hour away on the train, it's really easy travel and that doesn't bother me cause a bus home from college takes about 40 minutes anyway. Financially, it's a positive cause I can stay at home and just get a part time job, and stay with family. Work wise, I can do a lot of work on my train journeys to and from uni on my own lessening the workload when at home.

But... I'm not too bothered about missing out on "uni life" by moving away and living with random people and doing everything for myself, but if I'm away then I'll only be seeing people in my class for a couple hours a day and it makes nights out and relationships/hook-ups difficult for travelling home at night and such.

I suppose I could make friends but live at home for a year, and if we become close then live away from home for the second year? I'm just wondering what to do really. I'm buzzing for uni but don't know what's best.

ReputationRep:
    I started a similar thread:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4480172 (have a look see at what others have advised me)

I think that (especially 1st year) provides literally a once-in-a-lifetime experience. You get thrown together with people of similar ages, have to learn to survive together and you hope to make life-long friends (hopefully! )

I am going to move out, regardless if the Uni is 10 mins or 10 hours away from home - I need a kicking up the *ahem*
    I'm too lazy and reckon learning to live and support myself will be a good life-lesson for me. I enjoy meeting new people (from NCS; best two weeks of my life). With so many people telling me that freshers week is just something else, I want to experience it for what it is. Tbh I know a lot of it's going to involve clubbing, alcohol etc. But let's see if it can surprise me

Granted, you can still have a great time commuting - stay for the whole day and come back home just for bed and Mum's food But you will likely only go to Uni on days you have lectures/seminars and maybe sometimes on other days to meet friends. Travelling late will be a pain if you plan to go out in the evenings, etc. I don't drink personally so I doubt I will be out late anyways, but even so, I would like to know that my bed's 15 min walk away rather than having to stress over train times.

Make a pro/ cons list. It'll help clear out your mind. Do whatever's best for you. Personally, I'll move out, make the friends and social circle (since 1st year counts for tiddly-winks anyways) and then get down to work and if need be, stay at home.

Hope I could be of help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pizzabomb)
    I'm going to a uni about an hour away on the train, it's really easy travel and that doesn't bother me cause a bus home from college takes about 40 minutes anyway. Financially, it's a positive cause I can stay at home and just get a part time job, and stay with family. Work wise, I can do a lot of work on my train journeys to and from uni on my own lessening the workload when at home.

But... I'm not too bothered about missing out on "uni life" by moving away and living with random people and doing everything for myself, but if I'm away then I'll only be seeing people in my class for a couple hours a day and it makes nights out and relationships/hook-ups difficult for travelling home at night and such.

I suppose I could make friends but live at home for a year, and if we become close then live away from home for the second year? I'm just wondering what to do really. I'm buzzing for uni but don't know what's best.
    not living in halls will actually impact your life at uni much more than you think as I'll outline below but first i want to make it clear that I have seen both sides of this having had to live at home for the first few weeks of my to pup year so I can see it from both sides and i was also an hour away by train so yeah.

Social life You've already stated that your not too bothered about "uni life" it's kind of a miss conception that uni life is very different from "life" the best way to describe it is life with training wheels your doing every thing you'd do living on you own but the uni and SU will support you if you have any real problems (like a bereavement or you loose a leg or something.) you have also stated that nights out and relationships/hookups would be hard you not wrong with an hour each way 2 hours a day it's going to be close to impossible to go out or hook up particularly if the last train is like at 10:30. you'll also find it easier to make friends if your i halls even if you don't click with you flat mates you can always moan about them to your course mates or society people (and you get close to these people on nights out) so if you don't wan the first couple of month to be pretty lonely I'd get halls because if you don't you'll be one of those people in November or the end of the year saying oh I've got no close friends at uni.

Academics Your academic work will suffer if your spending 2 hours travelling each day your saying what i hear a lot of people who plan to commute say "I can do a lot of work on my train journeys to and from uni". You really can't (believe me I've tried) the best you can do is organise your notes or other things that are procrastnating and you can do that later (see what I did there?).

Then we have group work you actually need the time to do this many students will work on this in free periods and then up to 11pm at night you might have finished al your stuff but the other group members might not and as you have to hand it all in together you could be waiting there until 1-2am or whenever the computer rooms close which broadly speaking 11pm or later and of course by then you've missed your train and your shelling out £60 for a last minute hotel room well even more because you'll need supper so £65 oh and a tooth brush toothpaste and a razor so about £68.

it is also easier to work when your not tired from travelling and no matter how you paint it a 10-15 minute walk is easier than a walk to the train station and then an hour on the train station and a walk home. your work studying will be better while your fresh and also if your not being nagged to do stuff particularly if you have late lectures (more on that later.)

comfort and your time table This is one i don't reckon you've considered (I didn't and most people don't seem to) but your timetable can dictate weather living out is a good idea. Your time table can really mess you up to give you an Idea I had 2 days in my first year that were:

9am-1 lunch then 2-7 lectures labs and tutorials

Then in second year I had a day like this:

9-11am lecture then free until 6-7pm now that is a 7 hour break sure you could spend some of that time studying (4 hours at the most for me) but what do you do for the other 3 you can't go home and it's a hassle to drag in you guy it in any case you'd be too third for your lecture after a gym session.

in those types of situations it makes more sense to have your own you can retreat to and halls are that .

I'd really recommend halls they are more than just a place to live also have you actually looked at the price for me going from my local central station down to my university would have been £20 return on a student rail card as I was in 5 days week for various different things be it making a deadline group work or just a night out it would have cost me £100 a week and train fares are even more now my halls were only £93 a week and later on rent was only £60 in the private sector it actually works out cheaper to live in halls.

ReputationRep:

University is a a whole different kettle of fish to college, where everyone lives at home and comes and goes around the same time, compared with uni where the majority live together in halls in first year and there are activities going on at almost all hours.

In direct answer to your question, it really depends on what kind of a uni experience you want. If you just want to focus on the degree, want somewhere quiet to stay and not go out clubbing then home is usually the better option assuming the commute isn't too long.

However if you want to take full part in uni life- joining societies, going on nights out or just having pizza/film nights then moving out makes that all a lot easier. Especially in the first couple of months where people who live in halls tend to stick with flatmates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    not living in halls will actually impact your life at uni much more than you think as I'll outline below but first i want to make it clear that I have seen both sides of this having had to live at home for the first few weeks of my to pup year so I can see it from both sides and i was also an hour away by train so yeah.

Social life You've already stated that your not too bothered about "uni life" it's kind of a miss conception that uni life is very different from "life" the best way to describe it is life with training wheels your doing every thing you'd do living on you own but the uni and SU will support you if you have any real problems (like a bereavement or you loose a leg or something.) you have also stated that nights out and relationships/hookups would be hard you not wrong with an hour each way 2 hours a day it's going to be close to impossible to go out or hook up particularly if the last train is like at 10:30. you'll also find it easier to make friends if your i halls even if you don't click with you flat mates you can always moan about them to your course mates or society people (and you get close to these people on nights out) so if you don't wan the first couple of month to be pretty lonely I'd get halls because if you don't you'll be one of those people in November or the end of the year saying oh I've got no close friends at uni.

Academics Your academic work will suffer if your spending 2 hours travelling each day your saying what i hear a lot of people who plan to commute say "I can do a lot of work on my train journeys to and from uni". You really can't (believe me I've tried) the best you can do is organise your notes or other things that are procrastnating and you can do that later (see what I did there?).

Then we have group work you actually need the time to do this many students will work on this in free periods and then up to 11pm at night you might have finished al your stuff but the other group members might not and as you have to hand it all in together you could be waiting there until 1-2am or whenever the computer rooms close which broadly speaking 11pm or later and of course by then you've missed your train and your shelling out £60 for a last minute hotel room well even more because you'll need supper so £65 oh and a tooth brush toothpaste and a razor so about £68.

it is also easier to work when your not tired from travelling and no matter how you paint it a 10-15 minute walk is easier than a walk to the train station and then an hour on the train station and a walk home. your work studying will be better while your fresh and also if your not being nagged to do stuff particularly if you have late lectures (more on that later.)

comfort and your time table This is one i don't reckon you've considered (I didn't and most people don't seem to) but your timetable can dictate weather living out is a good idea. Your time table can really mess you up to give you an Idea I had 2 days in my first year that were:

9am-1 lunch then 2-7 lectures labs and tutorials

Then in second year I had a day like this:

9-11am lecture then free until 6-7pm now that is a 7 hour break sure you could spend some of that time studying (4 hours at the most for me) but what do you do for the other 3 you can't go home and it's a hassle to drag in you guy it in any case you'd be too third for your lecture after a gym session.

in those types of situations it makes more sense to have your own you can retreat to and halls are that .

I'd really recommend halls they are more than just a place to live also have you actually looked at the price for me going from my local central station down to my university would have been £20 return on a student rail card as I was in 5 days week for various different things be it making a deadline group work or just a night out it would have cost me £100 a week and train fares are even more now my halls were only £93 a week and later on rent was only £60 in the private sector it actually works out cheaper to live in halls.
    Really useful information, thanks. It's gonna be the lateness of trains that does me in I do believe. Maybe the mates bit too, will give it some thought and consideration over the next few months. I could go to a uni that is a bus journey away but I don't like it as much, although it's handier to speak to existing friends as well as new ones. And better for nights out, relationships, hook-ups etc.

ReputationRep:
    Halls!

I regret not doing it, like others have said its a big part of uni life especially socially and just general independance.

If I started uni fresh personally I would have stayed in halls first year then maybe moved back home for 2nd and third.
    As my unis a half hour drive away but I dont drive so its two buses -_- which can be draining in the morning especially when I have 9am starts and during rush hour in the evening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topps)
    Halls!

I regret not doing it, like others have said its a big part of uni life especially socially and just general independance.

If I started uni fresh personally I would have stayed in halls first year then maybe moved back home for 2nd and third.
    As my unis a half hour drive away but I dont drive so its two buses -_- which can be draining in the morning especially when I have 9am starts and during rush hour in the evening.
    I get ya, I feel as though a year away might do me good and then return home for the next 2 years. I'll just miss home and the comfort and the food a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Really useful information, thanks. It's gonna be the lateness of trains that does me in I do believe. Maybe the mates bit too, will give it some thought and consideration over the next few months. I could go to a uni that is a bus journey away but I don't like it as much, although it's handier to speak to existing friends as well as new ones. And better for nights out, relationships, hook-ups etc.
    Then seriously don't go to it you've got to go to a uni you love I could have gone to TVU and stayed at home but I chose Solent because I loved the location the city and the atmosphere seriously don't make the mistake settling.

ReputationRep:
    I would never stay, the whole point is for a new experience right?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the exact same position! I never thought I would move away because I am such a home bird and I would miss it so much if I was away. Plus, I don't drink and don't find partying with drunk people that fun so I feel as though I would be seen as a little bit of a bore to my flat mates. My uni will be about 40 minutes away on the train but I think I will get so frustrated with the delays and cancellations that I will regret not moving away. I am just scared that I will get too comfortable at home and that I will never want to leave (I am an only child so I am fussed) and maybe a year away would be good for me and make me more confident and independent. Like someone suggested before, I think a pros and cons list will help you see what is most important: jumping head first into uni life and having the full experience or having home comforts?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest starting off in halls to see how it goes. If you give it a proper go and decide it's not going to work out three it's easy to drop out of halls and move back home, but if you start at home it's a lot harder to move into halls later on if you regret staying at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire2303)
    I am in the exact same position! I never thought I would move away because I am such a home bird and I would miss it so much if I was away. Plus, I don't drink and don't find partying with drunk people that fun so I feel as though I would be seen as a little bit of a bore to my flat mates. My uni will be about 40 minutes away on the train but I think I will get so frustrated with the delays and cancellations that I will regret not moving away. I am just scared that I will get too comfortable at home and that I will never want to leave (I am an only child so I am fussed) and maybe a year away would be good for me and make me more confident and independent. Like someone suggested before, I think a pros and cons list will help you see what is most important: jumping head first into uni life and having the full experience or having home comforts?
    I think if it's not too late you should do halls for the first year at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thinking halls are the way forward for first year now. Intrigued by the social aspect of it.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could get a flat or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love commuting - I get so much done on the train there and back :-)

ReputationRep:
    Girl... just stay at home. You'll save so much more money that way. And commuting can be fun

ReputationRep:
    This is literally my dilemma. One of the uni I want to go is literally only 10 mins away so it's kinda silly if I lived in their accommodation, but I also wanna experience the whole uni life thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddique123)
    Or you could get a flat or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know anyone, that'd be a second year thing but I can see myself messing around for a year then buckling down back at home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.