Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Split (2017) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone seen Split with James McAvoy recently?!

A psychological thriller where McAvoy plays a man with 23 different personalities and abducts three teenage girls. I saw it yesterday and it was amazing!

Any thoughts?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaraElora97)
    Anyone seen Split with James McAvoy recently?!

A psychological thriller where McAvoy plays a man with 23 different personalities and abducts three teenage girls. I saw it yesterday and it was amazing!

Any thoughts?
    Yeah, I saw it the other day. I thought it was kinda meh. Don't get me wrong, James McAvoy was really good, but I just think the film kind of demonises those with DID. That's not to say the film was bad for it, but made it harder to enjoy. I also kind of felt like there were a few small interesting parts of the film that were all hastily tied up together at the end where it would've been more interesting to stagger it out a bit
    Spoiler:
    Show

like with the revelation that they're under a zoo after the earlier comments about tigers and the beast being a mix of all different animals

I also thought the two supporting girls were a bit superficial and boring. I did like what they did with Casey's character though and how they showed her experiences

ReputationRep:
    Oh I never considered about the DID thing, but looking back you're right. Completely agree about the girls... Nothing interesting about them but I suppose it was Casey they were focusing on. It was amazing what they did showing parts from her past

ReputationRep:
    6.5/10 movie imo, McAvoy was really good, but wish there was more to the plot. The 2 girls apart from Casey were meh, nothing interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I really wanna watch it! Seen the trailer and it looks amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I watched it. It was scary af.

ReputationRep:
    I'm goin to watch this on sat!! Hope it's good! It's trailer looks really good😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    It could have been good if the ending was different and there was more of a plot; good idea but poorly executed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    like most of M Nights movies since 6th sense, a decent idea for a movie without the application to stretch the idea out for 2 hours. apart from mcavoys outstanding performance, the other performances (kidnapped girls, unwitting therapist) and the scripted lines formulaic and predictable.

i think MNS has got to a stage where he can come up with the ideas but needs help wotht he production and sceenplay to make the finished product.

i dont think hes capable of another 6th Sense

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go see this. How good is it? And is it scary? I've heard it's jumpy but I've not heard whether it's very scary. But it looks great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    I really want to go see this. How good is it? And is it scary? I've heard it's jumpy but I've not heard whether it's very scary. But it looks great!
    I thought it was really good! Enjoyed it alot There's only a couple parts that are jumpy... but even then they weren't bad.

Some people on the thread have said the film as a good idea but poorly executed- which is true to some extent. The only part I didn't like was two of the kidnapped girls. They had no character, in my opinion.

Go see it though, it's a really good film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaraElora97)
    I thought it was really good! Enjoyed it alot There's only a couple parts that are jumpy... but even then they weren't bad.

Some people on the thread have said the film as a good idea but poorly executed- which is true to some extent. The only part I didn't like was two of the kidnapped girls. They had no character, in my opinion.

Go see it though, it's a really good film
    Thanks! I'll definitely go to see it. I hate it when characters are two dimensional, but I'm pretty good at looking past it so hopefully those two characters won't ruin the film any. I can't wait to see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt)
    Thanks! I'll definitely go to see it. I hate it when characters are two dimensional, but I'm pretty good at looking past it so hopefully those two characters won't ruin the film any. I can't wait to see it
    No problem! McAvoy is brilliant in it hope you enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    I love James McAvoy as an actor but the whole DID thing really annoys me

ReputationRep:
    Dont plan on watching - dont really fancy watching my dx being demonised for entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    I get kinda sad when I see people not understanding the plot twist at the end. Watch Unbreakable before you watch Split, there's my caution.

Also, the movie grew on me after a while. It's worth watching just for James McAvoy and his therapist's scenes. I actually found it as endlessly fascinating as I did intense too. The problems come from the first fifteen minutes or so, because the dialogue is wonky and the characters don't react realistically to what's happening. Also, the main girl was very unlikeable for a large chunk of the movie.

tasha_tah :lol:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lychee627)
      tasha_tah :lol
      hahaha :rofl: thats why you asked me

but then i didnt go did i..:sad:

(Original post by tasha_tah)
        hahaha :rofl: thats why you asked me

but then i didnt go did i..:sad:
        Haha yeah , i told you to come on Tsr like 10 mins ago
        Come , lets go watch it haha

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Lychee627)
        Haha yeah , i told you to come on Tsr like 10 mins ago
        Come , lets go watch it haha
        i was putting phone on charge n getting into the laptop :rolleyes:
        You better be seriouss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.