Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am dropping out of Sixth Form instead of finishing my A-levels. Any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never been particularly good at school. My grades have always lacked, the only subject I have ever gotten straight As in is History, and even now those have started to go down hill. I have a particularly bad and abusive relationship with my mother, who, despite kicking me out last year, enjoys sending provocative emails to the head of staff at my Sixth about how I am not to be trusted and am a prolific liar - this has lead to many uncomfortable talks. We are currently being mediated by my grandmother.

I'm eighteen next month, which, in England, is the legal age at which you can exit education. I am studying subjects I have flunked; my As-levels were deplorable, I have been rejected from my universities and I don't see the point in staying. Moreover, my mental health (which has always been pretty awful) is making it impossible to reach deadlines and turn in work that actually gets decent grades. I'd much rather quit now and start being productive and earning some sort of paycheck than stay in a place that I feel is both unpleasant and time wasting; I'm moving in with a friend soon to a flat we are both paying for whilst he's at university, and to be honest I'd much rather get away from here and from my mother and then go back to college once I'm out and in a place where she can't affect me or my education and where my mental state ought to be marginally better.

Everybody is some stage of mad at me. My friend fully supports my decision but I know that he is disappointed; my grandparents (with whom I'm living) think I need to stay and 'stick it out' just for the purpose of 'seeing it through', and I know already that things between my mother can only get worse. Am I doing the right thing? Am I being over dramatic? What is the correct way of going about dropping out of Sixth?

ReputationRep:
    Only you can decide such an important decision. Perhaps you should stick it out to the end, what do you lose? How many years have you spent at the Sixth form; you may see it as a waste of 1-2 years trying to get qualifications that your not even going to sit the exams for.
    What skills do you have? Could you pursue something you are good at outside of academic studies- drawing, writing.
    No one is qualified to tell you how to live your life, only you can truly decide. Just way up all of your options first.

ReputationRep:
    This is as said before entirely your decision. I did the same thing and I worked for 2 years before returning back to college; but it was, nevertheless, the right thing to do for me as I had no idea where I was going at all in life.

Many people will disapprove and be mad, you just have to trust in yourself. My mum is still mad at me for giving up work to go back to college but I had to do it for my sake and you always come first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evansd1999)
    What skills do you have? Could you pursue something you are good at outside of academic studies- drawing, writing.
    I like to think I'm good at writing, a lot of people tell me so. I especially love to write the biographies of typically overlooked historical figures, and I think there might be some money in that, but getting anything published is another thing entirely I also have waitressing experience, and being in Cornwall my town is pretty much enshrouded by pubs

(Original post by Inexorably)
    This is as said before entirely your decision. I did the same thing and I worked for 2 years before returning back to college; but it was, nevertheless, the right thing to do for me as I had no idea where I was going at all in life.

Many people will disapprove and be mad, you just have to trust in yourself. My mum is still mad at me for giving up work to go back to college but I had to do it for my sake and you always come first.
    Thank you for the advice! Ngl it's really something I needed to hear right now (that dropping out and working has been the right choice for people, I mean). Keeping my options open at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    This is horrible. Hope things work out okay for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.