• View Poll Results: So, which phone should I pick? - All 16GB
    iPhone SE
    33.33%
    Galaxy A5
    33.33%
    Xperia XA
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    TL;DR I want the iPhone (I have reasons) but it's the only one that doesn't have an SD card slot, meaning extremely limited memory.

Samsung's saying they can't repair my Galaxy Alpha and they don't have any replacements. They can only offer me the three aforementioned phones. All were released in 2016 and have 16GB storage capacity.

I've looked into the phones and am certain that I will be happiest with the iPhone SE but there's one thing holding me back: storage limitations... The already small capacity is limited by the lack of an SD card slot, which means hardly any apps or videos for me, let alone podcasts and Beethoven symphonies!

So, I have three options all at 16GB, two of which have expandable memory and I want the one that doesn't offer that luxury... But it's the best for me... Is it possible for me to maybe haggle with the customer services to get the 64GB version of the iPhone? Or maybe the 16GB variant is workable after all?

My contract runs out in 3-4 months after which I will have an unlimited data SIM-only deal, which will help with storage a little.

Not sure what to do - any suggestions welcome, thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Try haggling, or see if they'll tell you what the balance is between the SD that has a higher storage capacity, and offer to pay that. That's where I'd start anyway. But I am attached to my iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    16gb is not enough in 2017.
    The iPhone SE is so good too, but 16gb of storage, no matter how careful you are, is going to fill up.
    The 2016 A5 has great everything bar processor; probably doesn't mean much to you, but if you like seeing Android updates for it then...good luck
    I would absolutely stay away from the Sony XA

I would do as the above has said, see if you can get the larger storage iPhone SE or a Galaxy S6 or something, the Alpha was a flagship phone and they should replace like with like, not give you these tinpot options.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.