Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rubbish A levels affecting my career goals Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm already studying maths at university but didn't finish sixth form with exactly the best a levels, I'm ashamed to say I came away with ADD in Maths, Further Maths and Physics respectively. I don't have the usual worry of getting into university, instead I'm nervous about finding employment in the financial sector as I've heard most companies in the sector look into all academic results, not just degree. Any advice on what to do?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Cjrba)
    I'm already studying maths at university but didn't finish sixth form with exactly the best a levels, I'm ashamed to say I came away with ADD in Maths, Further Maths and Physics respectively. I don't have the usual worry of getting into university, instead I'm nervous about finding employment in the financial sector as I've heard most companies in the sector look into all academic results, not just degree. Any advice on what to do?
    Where are you applying? You don't necessarily have to include those things in your CV if you don't want to (unless they specifically ask for it). Just state you're doing a Maths degree and state where you did your A Levels and GCSEs
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Cjrba)
    You can't go back and change the past, so you need to look forward. Get the best degree you can, do useful extra-curricular activities, use the Careers Centre and make sure your applications are effective. Rubbish A levels aren't affecting your career goals yet, and they don't have to in the future if you work on things that will compensate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You can't go back and change the past, so you need to look forward. Get the best degree you can, do useful extra-curricular activities, use the Careers Centre and make sure your applications are effective. Rubbish A levels aren't affecting your career goals yet, and they don't have to in the future if you work on things that will compensate.
    Thanks I guess I need to look at the positives and make the best of what I can now like you said, really appreciate the advice
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Cjrba)
    Thanks I guess I need to look at the positives and make the best of what I can now like you said, really appreciate the advice
    Just do well on your degree and you should be fine. If it really becomes an impediment later then retake them. As pointed out you cant change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    Where are you applying? You don't necessarily have to include those things in your CV if you don't want to (unless they specifically ask for it). Just state you're doing a Maths degree and state where you did your A Levels and GCSEs
    I'm not sure as to where I'll be applying yet since I'm only in first year, it was just something I'd read about in respect to working in finance. I think I saw it when researching into doing a masters in financial engineering, one of the unis mentioned most employers looking at a levels. I just wanted to try and find a solution now rather than wait for the day it affects me😅 But thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cjrba)
    "ashamed to get a ADD"

fam I got a BDU stop talkin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipG1)
    "ashamed to get a ADD"

fam I got a BDU stop talkin
    😂😂 bruh but do u have a well paid job now, that's all I wanna know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cjrba)
    😂😂 bruh but do u have a well paid job now, that's all I wanna know
    I'm at uni atm, had multiple full time summer jobs as a car driver. (NOT TAXI/DELIVERY DRIVER) It was a rental car company

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.