Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how did you get onto the film production course at Edinburgh or Edinburgh Napier Watch

ReputationRep:
    so i really really wanna be a filmmaker, but don't have much experience. i visited edinburgh uni and really fell in love with the city, the surrounding landscape and loved the course. unfourtunately, i found out only 5% of applicants get in so with someone without much experience, its gonna be hard but i'm gonna try! so for this reason, i am also looking at edinburgh napier as my 2nd choice (am in yr 12 btw so will apply next year, but deferred due to gap year) and it looks great too. so for anyone on either of these courses, what did you do to get in? So, i've never done much before due to lack of equipment so don't even have a portfolio atm, but I've always had ideas and stuff. i take media studies a level so will use my coursework for the portfolio, i also am doing an epq to make a short horror film on a 0 budget, using friends and school equipment and stuff. i wanna start taking more photos, and writing down more of my ideas and storyboards for some to add to a portfolio. i have started controlling the camera at my church and doing the live stream in the mornings. i hope to contact the national film school which is nearby me, in the summer term to see if i can be a runner on a student film and my mum is talking to some video production company who just moved in below her office to see if they would need/want an apprentice to help. so what did you do to get onto this course? and what would your suggestions for me be?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

(I'm not at Napier but have studied art and have made applications to many unis and art schools- including ECA!)

Your obvious passion about and commitment to Film is what will get you into the course. It sounds like you are doing many, many things to make sure that you have experience with the subject and that will make for a really strong personal statement. Please try not to worry! I know that applying is anxiety- inducing but you sound much more clued up than other people who apply from school.

My experience of applying to Edinburgh is that they look particularly at your ability to show the process of your ideas (how they have developed). Keep hold of any supporting material (sketches, notes, storyboards) to use in your portfolio. I read on their portfolio guidelines that illustrating the creative process and showing you have imagination is more important to them than the standard of your work. I have also heard from Admissions that they give priority to school leavers above people who have previous higher learning experience!

Yes, a tiny handful of applicants get in each year but it sounds like you have a good a chance as any of them.

Napier send out portfolio specifications only when they receive your application and (as far as I know) you get two weeks to put it together and hand it in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acatlady)
    Hello,

(I'm not at Napier but have studied art and have made applications to many unis and art schools- including ECA!)

Your obvious passion about and commitment to Film is what will get you into the course. It sounds like you are doing many, many things to make sure that you have experience with the subject and that will make for a really strong personal statement. Please try not to worry! I know that applying is anxiety- inducing but you sound much more clued up than other people who apply from school.

My experience of applying to Edinburgh is that they look particularly at your ability to show the process of your ideas (how they have developed). Keep hold of any supporting material (sketches, notes, storyboards) to use in your portfolio. I read on their portfolio guidelines that illustrating the creative process and showing you have imagination is more important to them than the standard of your work. I have also heard from Admissions that they give priority to school leavers above people who have previous higher learning experience!

Yes, a tiny handful of applicants get in each year but it sounds like you have a good a chance as any of them.

Napier send out portfolio specifications only when they receive your application and (as far as I know) you get two weeks to put it together and hand it in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    thanks so much, helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    I got into film at Edinburgh Napier without much experience and I can say this: when they ask who influences you, don't name mainstream filmmakers (Spielberg, Kubrick). Try to write or talk about someone more appreciated in art house cinema or your country, e.g I talked about Bill Douglas and Alexander MacKendrick, two Scottish filmmakers. I'd also say try to make your folio as unique as possible, make your film stand out from the rest so they remember it. My folio film wasn't particularly good and I was actually displeased with most of it, but it was unique. I'd also suggest showing them scripts and storyboards or any research you've done. I brought 72 pages of screenplays, storyboards and photographs and paintings that had influenced my filmmaking. It's a very hard course to get into as they only have 30 places for over 500 applicants, but I think that if follow those steps you stand a good chance.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jezzockboy16)
    I got into film at Edinburgh Napier without much experience and I can say this: when they ask who influences you, don't name mainstream filmmakers (Spielberg, Kubrick). Try to write or talk about someone more appreciated in art house cinema or your country, e.g I talked about Bill Douglas and Alexander MacKendrick, two Scottish filmmakers. I'd also say try to make your folio as unique as possible, make your film stand out from the rest so they remember it. My folio film wasn't particularly good and I was actually displeased with most of it, but it was unique. I'd also suggest showing them scripts and storyboards or any research you've done. I brought 72 pages of screenplays, storyboards and photographs and paintings that had influenced my filmmaking. It's a very hard course to get into as they only have 30 places for over 500 applicants, but I think that if follow those steps you stand a good chance.

Good luck
    Hi, so who do you name then? i think its a bit unfair to dismiss you for naming mainstream directors if you have a good reason for liking them! how did you get 72 pages of screenplays and paintings and stuff? I'm finding it hard to find that kinda thing that is indie enough to boost my application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.