Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Withdrawn from NHS degree to start a new degree....funding? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm currently second year doing a NHS degree but decided it's not for me and applied for a degree which I would need to have tuition and maintenance loans for.

Will I be entitled to them as its a second degree even though I only received a reduced student loan for 18 months? And I've never had a tuition loan?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carly181286)
    Hi

I'm currently second year doing a NHS degree but decided it's not for me and applied for a degree which I would need to have tuition and maintenance loans for.

Will I be entitled to them as its a second degree even though I only received a reduced student loan for 18 months? And I've never had a tuition loan?

Thanks
    I m incredibly sorry to break this to you, but they count nhs degree years as funded years, so if it was two full years you did, then you only have two years left. look into 2nd year entry for whatever you want to study to try and get round it.

ReputationRep:
    Claire is right - even though it was an NHS funded course, SFE still counts them as 'funded years'. However, you do have however many years +1 so claireestelle do you think she'd be able to use her gift year here and still get funding for three years?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Claire is right - even though it was an NHS funded course, SFE still counts them as 'funded years'. However, you do have however many years +1 so claireestelle do you think she'd be able to use her gift year here and still get funding for three years?
    The gift year is one extra year rather than a spare year to use per says , so her first degree would have given here 3+1, but having used 2 years (over a term and it was a whole year according to when i spoke to slc) , 4-2 gives her just 2 left in slc's mind unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    The gift year is one extra year rather than a spare year to use per says , so her first degree would have given here 3+1, but having used 2 years (over a term and it was a whole year according to when i spoke to slc) , 4-2 gives her just 2 left in slc's mind unfortunately.
    Oh dear... (Sorry, I didn't realise she'd gone past the mark in Yr2)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Oh dear... (Sorry, I didn't realise she'd gone past the mark in Yr2)
    Yeah, unfortunately they're quite strict on these things, hence 2nd year entry is the safest option to try really.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all.

I should explain a bit clearer.

I did a year full time
    Then 3 months full time in second year and the rest of that academic year maternity leave from NHS.

During the first year and the first 3 months I received a reduced student loan from sfe but the NHS paid for my degree.

I have been back in my second year part time from sept 16 and just doing half the year this year and half the year next year. So technically I ain't half way through the second year. (But I had maternity)

It's so confusing.

I couldn't afford to do the course if I have to pay 😩
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all.

I should explain a bit clearer.

I did a year full time
    Then 3 months full time in second year and the rest of that academic year maternity leave from NHS.

During the first year and the first 3 months I received a reduced student loan from sfe but the NHS paid for my degree.

I have been back in my second year part time from sept 16 and just doing half the year this year and half the year next year. So technically I ain't half way through the second year. (But I had maternity)

It's so confusing.

I couldn't afford to do the course if I have to pay 😩
    I basically did 4 months of nursing before leaving and student finance counted that as a full year's funding so i've a feeling they'd do the same to you. Give them a call first thing on monday and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just spoken to SFE and ive got to apply for compelling personal reasons due to pregnancy. That way they may reinstate the 1 year. Ive also suffered with PND since so havnt been great this year and missed a lot of uni so including a drs letter in my letter to the SFE.

Hopefully this will allow me to get the extra year I require!

x
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Ive just spoken to SFE and ive got to apply for compelling personal reasons due to pregnancy. That way they may reinstate the 1 year. Ive also suffered with PND since so havnt been great this year and missed a lot of uni so including a drs letter in my letter to the SFE.

x
    Get as much evidence as you can and i m sure you'll have a good chance at it and hopefully it'll work out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

x
    Some students do manage to complete their degrees when pregnant and then with a baby. You need to show that it was impossible for you - don't just state that you were pregnant and expect that to be enough. Gather medical evidence of any complications, especially your PND, and show why you were unable to continue with the course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.