Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is Heriot watt not giving the proper education in Dubai needed for example my management accounting tutorial tutor, says look the meaning up on Google cannot explain it to you, why and to whom are we paying the fees then?

ReputationRep:
    Because a university education is not about being spoon fed information, it is hopefully to equip you to learn by yourself.

Accounting is not static, it changes over time, as post university you may have 40-50 years in the profession you will need to be able to learn by yourself or within ten years you will be of little use to anyone.

I have spent over thirty years in accountancy since university and doubt a week has gone by when I have not had to learn something new, nobody is there to teach me, I need to find out myself. By the time you graduate if you have not developed the basic skills of teaching yourself you are frankly wasting your time, it will all be for nothing.

School spoon feeds information, university teaches you how to be fully reliant on your own powers of learning, to develop that power you need to practice at university and then, if carrying on into the profession, you need to further improve the skill of teaching yourself and researching .

What did he suggest you learned for yourself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.