Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is A Level Maths hard, what book I will do in A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mosisgansta)
    Is A Level Maths hard, what book I will do in A levels?
    I don't know how to measure hardness. What I find easy you might find hard and what is very straightforward for you may be totally impossible for me. With an A or better at GCSE and a lot of work you should be able to cope with maths A level and achieve a useful grade, especially if you are good at algebra and trigonometry. It's harder to guess the likely outcome if you gained a B (or less than a 7 in the new reformed GCSE)

Which books you would use will depend on which A level examiner and specification you are studying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who would get a better grade in A levels Maths a person who has a A in maths ot the other who has a B? Or is dependence on the person?

ReputationRep:
    Who would get a better grade in A levels Maths a person who has a A in maths ot the other who has a B? Or is dependence on the person?
    Usually the person with an A. Indeed many schools will not allow anyone with less than an A to study A level maths. However, it does depend on the person to some extent. Someone who didn't do much work or revision for maths GCSE and achieved B could make massive progress at A level if they are prepared to put in the effort required.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really tell. Someone I know had a C in GCSE maths and got an A in A-Level maths and also someone who had an A* in GCSE maths and had a B in A-level maths. It's really up to the person on how much effort they put in

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in maths at GCSE but at AS I got an E in one of my exams. I still feel like I'm struggling now but I guess it's because most of the stuff is new. I'd say if you enjoy maths you're more likely to get a good grade in it and not find it so hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    Im from Portugal and I'm doing an exam to enter university. This exam has standard a-level maths but I've seen past papers and there are things I haven't learned here in Portugal.
    Is there a place with a list of contents or topics learned in a level maths so I can check what I have learned and what I haven't?

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catty29)
    Hi.
    Im from Portugal and I'm doing an exam to enter university. This exam has standard a-level maths but I've seen past papers and there are things I haven't learned here in Portugal.
    Is there a place with a list of contents or topics learned in a level maths so I can check what I have learned and what I haven't?

Thank you very much
    Hi, this would depend from examboard to examboard as well as the modules you're taking, however, here is OCR's A level spec starting from page 34.
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/67746-specification.pdf

To answer OP, A level maths is hard but very rewarding, if you plan to study anything to do with engineering then it is a must.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.