Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to force myself to date someone else Watch

Announcements

I have had feelings for a guy for about 1 year now. We were FWB, but I developed feelings and wanted more whereas he didn't, and I ended up getting heartbroken. We tried to stay friends and I tried to get over him, but he kept trying to initiate FWB, I'd be tempted and then I'd realise he only wanted sex and would end up getting hurt that he would never want more with me.
    We ended up falling out and today the friendship is not the same. He's on a year abroad so I haven't seen him in months anyway, and he won't be back till the summer. We don't really talk much whereas we used to speak every day, and it's sad, but I need to get over these feelings.
    I have been trying to move on and meet other people since last June. I've had a few dates but they turned out to be guys just looking for one thing. I met someone a few weeks ago, and we've been on 3 dates.
    He's very nice and easy to talk to, and we seem to get on. I find him quite physically attractive, but I'm not sure if I even fancy him. As I said, we've only been on 3 dates, so it's very early, but he seems keen.
    I feel like I am just forcing myself to date someone else to try and forget the guy i'm in love with. I haven't had feelings at all for anybody else, but everyone keeps telling me to move on, find someone else etc. and I don't see another way.

Should I keep meeting this guy and see if things develop? I dont want to waste his time and it's not fair on him, but I'm sick of being stuck on the same guy, and I've no idea how to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have had feelings for a guy for about 1 year now. We were FWB, but I developed feelings and wanted more whereas he didn't, and I ended up getting heartbroken. We tried to stay friends and I tried to get over him, but he kept trying to initiate FWB, I'd be tempted and then I'd realise he only wanted sex and would end up getting hurt that he would never want more with me.
    We ended up falling out and today the friendship is not the same. He's on a year abroad so I haven't seen him in months anyway, and he won't be back till the summer. We don't really talk much whereas we used to speak every day, and it's sad, but I need to get over these feelings.
    I have been trying to move on and meet other people since last June. I've had a few dates but they turned out to be guys just looking for one thing. I met someone a few weeks ago, and we've been on 3 dates.
    He's very nice and easy to talk to, and we seem to get on. I find him quite physically attractive, but I'm not sure if I even fancy him. As I said, we've only been on 3 dates, so it's very early, but he seems keen.
    I feel like I am just forcing myself to date someone else to try and forget the guy i'm in love with. I haven't had feelings at all for anybody else, but everyone keeps telling me to move on, find someone else etc. and I don't see another way.

Should I keep meeting this guy and see if things develop? I dont want to waste his time and it's not fair on him, but I'm sick of being stuck on the same guy, and I've no idea how to get over him.
    Well, first of all no contact rule. Ignore him for a month or two, people say that it's immature and rude but it's really not, it helps. It helps you to create distance, it helps you to forget a little. So cut off all the constant with him; no messages, no social media stalking and focus on yourself. And then give that other guy a chance and see how it goes, you're not in a relationship and you'be not promised him anything but at the same time try seeing other people as well, because the problem might be the lack of chemistry between you two and not in you as a person.

Thanks for the reply; I'm going to try my best to cut him out for a while. I've already tried that ,but the feelings didn't go away sadly, but I'll try again.

Maybe the spark will come with this other guy, but for the moment, I don't fancy him particularly.. I will try to meet other people at the same time as you've said, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply; I'm going to try my best to cut him out for a while. I've already tried that ,but the feelings didn't go away sadly, but I'll try again.

Maybe the spark will come with this other guy, but for the moment, I don't fancy him particularly.. I will try to meet other people at the same time as you've said, thanks
    I hope that you will get better soon, I just came out of a relationship so I know that it sucks!

ReputationRep:
    Wow that must really suck! When you want more but the other person doesn't! Sometime we create our little perfect person and the truth is that they are very far from it. The good thing is that you have cut contact and he is abroad so hopefully not seeing him around is better. Don't force yourself on dates, as clearly you still think of him and till you don't move on from him it's unlikely any other guy will grab your attention till you let go of this one and want to let someone else. I know it's hard and easier said than done but don't let him thibk your okay with his FWB attitude and go back to him when he comes back cuz that's not what you want. If you want something more serious then next time make sure your more clear from ththe start. Unfortunately some guys just don't care about how it affects us as long as they get their "little messing around" and then move on to the next person. I think you should jus find other things to do or hang out with close friends. No one will understand and be there for you more than your friends so instead of forcing yourself on dates you don't really want to go on, hang out with people you trust and let them know that your finding it slightly difficult atm and just need them around a bit more. It's okay not to be okay x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.