Turn on thread page Beta

With internal resistance experiment, why does I increase when V decreases? watch

ReputationRep:
    For a normal wire at a constant temperature, I know that the graph would have a positive correlation, as when V increases, I increases too because V=IR.

However, I see that for internal resistance experiments, they vary the value of R with an external variable resistor, and plot a graph of V against I, where as V increases, I decreases.

Why is that? Can you explain that to me please? I have a feeling it is very simple but i cannot understand why when you vary the resistance, the current would increase when the voltage decreases.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20170128_094016.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  515.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    So the cell produces a fixed e.m.f right? So e.m.f = V(across internal resistant) + V(across variable resistor)

therefore e.m.f. = IR(internal) + IR(variable)
    e.m.f. is fixed so as you increase R(variable), I has to fall to maintain constant e.m.f, but by a smaller amount (because I is the same for both terms, so as I drops, so does the value of both terms.
    Therefore, looking at just the variable resistor now, V = IR. R goes up, I goes down, but by less, therefore V goes up.
    Therefore there is a negative correlation between I and V on the variable resistor.

I may not have explained this very well, so if you still have any questions, just say and I'll draw some graphs and send some pics

ReputationRep:
    as you decrease resistance, current increases, which increases lost volts (as lost volts = IR) and decreases terminal p.d. (which is what you measure). The emf doesn't change and is equal to terminal p.d. + lost volts.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.