No
    This thread is a missteak
    Well mooove on out my thread then.

ReputationRep:
    Hate html pages. -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    No, not really. Why would it?
    To superintelligence we're just "sentient meat" with short lives, no real ability to travel the universe, unsophisticated communication of "flapping meat", and as something to avoid - something insignificant, silly even; not even worth contacting.

In other words, the same way we look down on, say, a cow or pig. Do you not hope that the superintelligence shouldn't wish to treat us poorly, unintelligent and insignificant though we are?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    No
    This thread is a missteak
    I thought it was well done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    To superintelligence we're just "sentient meat" with short lives, no real ability to travel the universe, unsophisticated communication of "flapping meat", and as something to avoid - something insignificant, silly even; not even worth contacting.

In other words, the same way we look down on, say, a cow or pig. Do you not hope that the superintelligence shouldn't wish to treat us poorly, unintelligent and insignificant though we are?
    Surely superintelligence would see humanity's achievements and recognise we have potential. If they also managed to show that cows have the same potential, I'd stop eating meat - however, that would have to be based on certain examples of cows showing their potential, and IMO those are rare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Finding decent steak puns like this is pretty rare.

ReputationRep:
    Surely superintelligence would see humanity's achievements and recognise we have potential. If they also managed to show that cows have the same potential, I'd stop eating meat - however, that would have to be based on certain examples of cows showing their potential, and IMO those are rare
    Our achievements are likely tiny and insignificant relative to superintelligence, in the same way animals' achievements are to ours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Our achievements are likely tiny and insignificant relative to superintelligence, in the same way animals' achievements are to ours.
    That's why I talked about potential - what we might be able to do in the future is likely to be far more impressive than what we've already done.
    Superintelligent beings would recognise potential. If you want to progress, you should use everything at your disposal, even if some of the tools need polishing.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I talked about potential - what we might be able to do in the future is likely to be far more impressive than what we've already done.
    Superintelligent beings would recognise potential. If you want to progress, you should use everything at your disposal, even if some of the tools need polishing.
    They will likely not see potential, just as they don't in this story, similar to how we view the potential of a cow or a pig. If our achievements are so laughably tiny relative to their superintelligent abilities, why do you presume they would see potential in us or care about us at all? Hawking's prediction is that we should not contact superintelligence for this very reason.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me want KFC now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    So do I. Threads like these are a bit rare nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me want to have a KFC

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed reading that but I doubt it'll stop me from eating meat. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    The only time I think twice about eating meat is when there are two different types of meat on my plate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.