Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does this make you think twice about eating meat? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by XOR_)
    The only time I think twice about eating meat is when there are two different types of meat on my plate.
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    They will likely not see potential, just as they don't in this story, similar to how we view the potential of a cow or a pig. If our achievements are so laughably tiny relative to their superintelligent abilities, why do you presume they would see potential in us or care about us at all? Hawking's prediction is that we should not contact superintelligence for this very reason.
    I think in that story they were more objecting to us being organic meat, which is kind of not our fault. The fact we've managed to do cool stuff despite that was something they were surprised by, which I think does show we have potential. If they weren't anthropomorphised and were actually superintelligent, they would have made contact (or just watched).

Also, I think Hawking's prediction was based more on aliens in general who may have better technology than us, either violently assimilating us or destroying us. It's kind of like a baby rabbit mewling in the savannah with lions all around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3rmit)
    I think in that story they were more objecting to us being organic meat, which is kind of not our fault. The fact we've managed to do cool stuff despite that was something they were surprised by, which I think does show we have potential. If they weren't anthropomorphised and were actually superintelligent, they would have made contact (or just watched).
    They were objecting to how utterly primitive and unadvanced we are, just as we are curious about how animals communicate in different ways to us but which we deem less advanced than our language. That too is "cool stuff" and we are "surprised by" it. We call a dog "intelligent" when it protects its owner; we marvel at how birds sing their songs, etc. but there is no illusion that we deem ourselves superior, and many will happily eat pigeon (and even dog). If they were actually superintelligent, they would not even have had the conversation - we would have been ignored like ants or taken advantage of.

(Original post by h3rmit)
    Also, I think Hawking's prediction was based more on aliens in general who may have better technology than us, either violently assimilating us or destroying us. It's kind of like a baby rabbit mewling in the savannah with lions all around.
    That too, but he meant they would see us insignificant and take advantage of us, since "they will be vastly more powerful and may not see us as any more valuable than we see bacteria".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    I enjoyed reading that but I doubt it'll stop me from eating meat. :erm:
    Wouldn't you hope that aliens spared you, though? Suppose for a moment that an alien race takes a pit-stop on earth on their way to some distant galaxy. These aliens are many times more intelligent than us and, naturally, far more technologically advanced. These aliens are very hungry after their long journey across the cosmos and they view you as we view a farm animal. They find it quite amusing that you behave somewhat similarly to them (as farm animals to us) but, still, they are famished and you are only a mere pathetic human - besides, they have far more important things to worry about. What argument would you offer them to defend yourself against being eaten for supper?

ReputationRep:
    A load of overwritten old tosh trying to be clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    A load of overwritten old tosh trying to be clever.
    It got nominated for a Nebula award. Bisson, the author, has won both the Hugo and Nebula before. I'm unsure how a short, minimalist piece could be considered "overwritten" but most disagree with you. This is also beside the point of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    It got nominated for a Nebula award. Bisson, the author, has won both the Hugo and Nebula before. I'm unsure how a short, minimalist piece could be considered "overwritten" but most disagree with you. This is also beside the point of the thread.
    Oh, very short pieces of writing can be 'overwritten', Macromicro. Even forum posts sometimes...

Back to the point of the thread then. No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    No.
    Why, specifically? (see my reply above - how would you defend yourself?)

ReputationRep:
    Nah, if aliens want to house me, feed me, make me breed, and then kill me to eat me I'd happily live in a free range human farm

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't you hope that aliens spared you, though? Suppose for a moment that an alien race takes a pit-stop on earth on their way to some distant galaxy. These aliens are many times more intelligent than us and, naturally, far more technologically advanced. These aliens are very hungry after their long journey across the cosmos and they view you as we view a farm animal. They find it quite amusing that you behave somewhat similarly to them (as farm animals to us) but, still, they are famished and you are only a mere pathetic human - besides, they have far more important things to worry about. What argument would you offer them to defend yourself against being eaten for supper?
    Can't really defend yourself.

They are evil to us.

Humans are evil to cattle.

Lions are evil to zebras.

We're being eaten for the sake of their survival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherub012)
    Can't really defend yourself.

They are evil to us.

Humans are evil to cattle.

Lions are evil to zebras.

We're being eaten for the sake of their survival.
    Though we can survive marvellously without cattle (or any meat for that matter) and, a fortiori, superintelligence can survive without us.

Shouldn't we want not to be part of this evil? How do we reconcile our horror at the evil superintelligence would impose on us and the evil we impose on lesser-intelligence? Should we not behave as we wish superintelligence to behave towards us? It seems the logical conclusion of our eating meat is that we tacitly agree to be eaten by superintelligence. Do you think this is a rational position to hold?

ReputationRep:
    Though we can survive marvellously without cattle (or any meat for that matter) and, a fortiori, superintelligence can survive without us.

Shouldn't we want not to be part of this evil? How do we reconcile our horror at the evil superintelligence would impose on us and the evil we impose on lesser-intelligence? Should we not behave as we wish superintelligence to behave towards us? It seems the logical conclusion of our eating meat is that we tacitly agree to be eaten by superintelligence. Do you think this is a rational position to hold?
    I guess, probably due to evolution (we prioritize the survival of our own species), our empathy hasn't developed so much as to convince everyone to go vegan.

My answer would be yes, it is "rational", even though it may seem completely wrong.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.