Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I hope you're having a good day! I just need some advice on a friend.

So I have this best friend and recently she has been SO negative. She moans about everything in her life, from money to her dad killing her if he found out about her tattoo. I keep trying to come up with solutions for her but she just keeps saying I can't I can't I can't. These past few weeks, I felt as if I haven't been myself so I went to talk to my other friend who helped me realise the reason why I am like this is because I have had no time for myself and my best friend keeps giving me problems when I already have my own. I then told my best friend I need some space, i told her to stop being negative and stuff. She then went on to say bad things about herself like oh i'm so stupid I don't even know why I'm here its all my fault. Also whenever I mention that i have a problem she goes on to tell people that I'm annoying and whenever I say something she will also make out she has the same problem or an even bigger problem which really angers me!

These past few days Ive been spending less time with her and already feel myself again, I just don't know what to do. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think you already know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her that she's going to be incredibly lonely if she keeps whining like a child

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Tell her that she's going to be incredibly lonely if she keeps whining like a child
    if only i could..

ReputationRep:
    Foe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greekchickxo)
    if only i could..
    Why not? She doesn't sound like she's acting like a best friend should, and you're doing all the work in the relationship. That's not how it should be. She needs to understand that if she doesn't stop ignoring your problems, she's going to lose you. The world doesn't revolve around her...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarysJSLewis)
    Why not? She doesn't sound like she's acting like a best friend should, and you're doing all the work in the relationship. That's not how it should be. She needs to understand that if she doesn't stop ignoring your problems, she's going to lose you. The world doesn't revolve around her...
    a few days ago when i told her everything she said this " I just want to say I'm sorry I just dont know how to act sometimes and I'm not good with relationships of any kind just because people just wanted me there when they needed something . I hope we can still be friends . If not tell me and I'll just leave. I'm really sorry."

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she is a foe. I don't think you should blame her for bringing her problems to you.

You are responsible for your own happiness and you need to manage your relationships in a way that works for you. You have tried to do that by telling her you need space but if she is now trying to manipulate you, it is up to you not to stand for it.

If you choose to stand for poor treatment, that is on you. Demand she treats you properly. If she doesn't, don't be friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.