ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing 4 A Levels of

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ?

Or doing them at AS?

Because I've just opted to do all 4 at school as my school aren't offering AS Levels and I was wondering what people thought of them?

Also my school have told me I can drop one at any time if I find it too hard so it should be okay.

Thankyouuuuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geminitwinsx)

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ?

Or doing them at AS?

Because I've just opted to do all 4 at school as my school aren't offering AS Levels and I was wondering what people thought of them?

Also my school have told me I can drop one at any time if I find it too hard so it should be okay.

Thankyouuuuu
    I did those four this year, and dropped Physics to get an AS in it. They weren't too hard, there's a lot of overlap between subjects but i would advise you not to take 4 as there is no real benefit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing all four. If you have the time, do it, I think it makes you a better rounded scientist.

ReputationRep:
    History o Spanish

ReputationRep:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ?

Or doing them at AS?

Thankyouuuuu
    What are you thinking of doing at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm doing all of them under the AQA exam board with the science being on the new specification and maths being on the old specification. So I don't think I can comment on maths as it sounds like you're doing the newer specification. I'm also just going to comment on the AS course as I have the benefit of hindsight as oppose to the A-level ones which I'm currently studying for.

Biology is fairly straight forward, many consisting of factual recall, essay writing, data analysis etc... and I personally find it the easiest of the 3 as the specification likes to build on previous concepts, but still covers a fairly large range such as photosynthesis to some light biochemistry in the AS year.

Physics is somewhat the opposite in my personally opinion, while this is my favourite out of the three and the concepts are again not too difficult, they have opted for a more refined approach. The AS course has a fairly large section on waves, mechanics, and a good chunk of electricity. (mechanics doesn't change much from GCSE). Before then opting to have a few small units serving as a brief introduction into particle physics and quantum phenomena, which I found extremely interesting.

Now Chemistry, I best state that I've not had the best experience with the subject (I didn't have a teacher at my Sixth Form for Chemistry for 3 months, this resulted in my class of 5 being reduced to myself after the AS Results), and is my least favourite out of the three. Chemistry I would argue is probably the most different from GCSE, and is broken up into 3 main sections: Inorganic,Organic, and Physical Chemistry.
    Organic is where you'll deal with carbon compounds, so you'll learn everything from alcohols to halogenoalkanes, how to name them and the type of reactions they undergo.
    Inorganic chemistry basically covers trends within the periodic table such as reactivity, and their physical properties etc... So for example explaining why mixing group 1 elements with water becomes an increasingly bad idea as you go down the periodic table.
    Physical chemistry is the biggest out of the three, and covers the widest range. This unit covers everything from how pressure and temperature can affect the equilibrium of a revisable reaction, to explaining the forces that occur between molecules, and out of the three is the unit I like the most.

This is my best attempt at probably explaining the three all together as simply and briefly as I can, I have enjoyed doing all 3 of them at A-level and doing all three has given me an edge as they sometimes crossover making topics easier or even sometimes questions (Example; During a biology mock getting a two mark question on how a medicine which increase the diameter of a blood vessel leads to a decrease in pressure.) If you have anymore questions I'll try my best to answer them as best as I can.

ReputationRep:

Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    ?

Or doing them at AS?

Thankyouuuuu
    I do physics chemistry maths. Wish I had taken biology too!!! People from my class had B's and C's in physics chemistry biology maths at GCSE and took it to A-Level whereas I had an A (87) and 3Bs (all 78) in them and still did not take it. Wish I had listened to my parents 😣 What do you want to do at uni btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    What are you thinking of doing at uni?
    I'm going to do Medicine, but also I'm not taking for because i think it will better my chances at uni i just genuinley enjoy all 4 subjects and don't want to give them up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Medicine, but also I'm not taking for because i think it will better my chances at uni i just genuinley enjoy all 4 subjects and don't want to give them up.
    Id take all for then for a start and see how you go.
    You could always drop one if you feel you need to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.