Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel I blew an opportunity with this girl? Watch

ReputationRep:
    During my 1st year, I met this girl in my personal tutoring sessions. I just happened to sit next to her and she kept glancing at me and then when we left at the end, we walked out together and she started talking to me about uni and other things and we ended up walking together back to our flats having a really nice conversation. I liked her and felt there that she possibly liked me as well but I wanted to be careful before I did anything as I had been let down many times before.

Over the next few weeks whenever we past each other she would always smile at me and say "hi" and I would say hi back. I know this doesn't necessarily count for much in that sense but it at least showed that we were on good terms with each other.

It was odd though because I felt I wanted to ask her out and yet, for some reason, I kept having second thoughts and questioning whether or not I was really ready to ask a girl out at this stage in my life and then possibly hurting her later on. I could one moment really want to do it and then the next be unsure about it, and so unfortunately time just kept moving on and I never got round to it. I messaged her briefly at one point during this time and she responded well and openly, but it didn't last very long because she said something that required me to push the conversation forward (talking about our tutor, saying "haha yeah a lot of people dislike that") and at the time I took that as not really that interested and so I didn't know what else to say, and looking back I should've said something else. I followed her on Instagram during summer as well when I saw she had it and she followed me back.

Anyway, going into 2nd year with nothing else happening and things now seem quite shady. I've seen her once in a personal tutor session since September and I sat one seat away from her. She looked at me a few times but never said anything to me and when we walked out at the end she didn't acknowledge me or instigate any conversation with me. Whenever we walk past each other now or see each other, if she notices me at all, she won't smile or acknowledge me or anything and just keep on walking.

It was only this month (so about a year after this all started) where I finally decided to at least have a go at asking her out because I'd been through a lot in that time, particularly recently, that made me feel a lot more ready for it than I had done when I first met her. I messaged her trying to spark up conversation with the intention of later asking to meet up, and she just said "fine thanks you?" and then I saw that she'd tried to video call me for some reason. I don't know if she had hit the call button by accident or had deliberately tried to call me. Seeing that it wasn't really looking any good, I responded and then asked if she wanted to meet up. That was over a week ago and she still hasn't even opened it, let alone responded, and she's been online countless times since. I've past her a couple of time since as well and she's not acknowledged me or anything.

My theory is that she was interested in me possibly at the time but my year-long procrastination just put her off me. That's the feeling I get and if so, I feel really stupid for not just going for it at the time. Would you guys agree with this?

Also, is there any way I can try to set things right? I've still got personal tutoring sessions coming up so I'll most likely see her again in those and I wouldn't want an awkward atmosphere either. Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    Based off what you've said I would agree with your theory, as it does sound like she was at least interested in knowing you during the 1st year.
    As for setting things right, I don't think there's much you can do, especially after you've already asked to meet up and she hasn't responded. I think my advice would be just to move on, as you can't hope to go out with someone if they won't even acknowledge you.

ReputationRep:
    You're worried that by delaying asking her out, you've ruined your chances with her? You still see her during class time and what not, so there's plenty of opportunities for you to strike up conversation with her. I think you should try and ask her out in person. Rather than Facebook, WhatsApp, text etc. That way you can see how she reacts, whether she's shocked, glad, happy, whatever. That's the only way you'll know

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably. Well it was fun while it lasted by the sounds of it

ReputationRep:
    Ask her out in person ASAP like the guy above suggested. What do you have to lose? Then again, you can not ask her out and definitely not be with her so things aren't "mega awks" in the non-relationship you two have.

ReputationRep:
    Aww yeah she is probably was interested before and then lost interest. As you have more tutoring sessions bringing back that interest will be hard as at the moment she isn't really talking to you, but it's not impossible. It's always better to ask her out in person than online or social media or something. So next time you see her try talking to her and see how things go!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.