The Student Room Group

The Old boy game

This was a game invented by me and some guys I met on holiday when bored sailing.

You simply have to connect an old boy from any school with another old boy from another school. The connections can be very loose for e.g.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an old boy at Stonyhurst College.

A connection would be Peter cushing, who played Sherlock Holmes in many feature length adaptations and he went to Shoreham Grammar School...
The person, school and connection are needed.

To start you all off I will go with a nice easy one.

Sir Arthur Wellesley (duke of Wellington), Eton College.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What the SMEG are you on about?
Reply 2
You've got to be kidding? :P
Reply 3
I don't like any of this public school mumbo jumbo.
Reply 4
Mad Caddie
I don't like any of this public school mumbo jumbo.

Are you suggesting every single person who has ever had any fame, went to a public school???
Reply 5
Joey_Johns
Are you suggesting every single person who has ever had any fame, went to a public school???

Im not suggesting. Im stating. :wink:
Reply 6
Mad Caddie
Im not suggesting. Im stating. :wink:

Anybody and any school counts. Like I said, the links can be very loose, it makes the game flow easier.
Reply 7
I see:

Sir Arthur Wellesley was the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill was also a Prime Minster, and he when to Harrow School, for his sins.
Reply 8
BazTheMoney
I see:

Sir Arthur Wellesley was the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill was also a Prime Minster, and he when to Harrow School, for his sins.

That is the spirit Baz.

Winston Churchill was a descended of another great Military leader, the 1st Duke of Marlborugh, John Churchill, who went to St. Paul's School in London.
Reply 9
Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, another fine military leader, known for his vistory at Alamein; who as attended St Paul's School, London.
Reply 10
BazTheMoney
Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, another fine military leader, known for his vistory at Alamein; who as attended St Paul's School, London.

Field Marshal Monetgomery was in WW2. The prime minister who stepped down because he couldn't cope with the prospect of WW2 was Neville Chamberlain of Rugby School.
Joey_Johns
Field Marshal Monetgomery was in WW2. The prime minister who stepped down because he couldn't cope with the prospect of WW2 was Neville Chamberlain of Rugby School.

No suprise there, Rugby men aren't known for their backbone.

He replaced Stanley Baldwin, Conservative Prime Minister before the war, who attended Harrow.
Reply 12
How the BLOODY hell do you know exactly which school which people went to, and especially Field Marshalls in WW2?!! You crazy crazy mofo's!
Reply 13
BazTheMoney
No suprise there, Rugby men aren't known for their backbone.

He replaced Stanley Baldwin, Conservative Prime Minister before the war, who attended Harrow.

Roger Bannister was born in Harrow. He attended Bath Grammar School.
Sahir
How the BLOODY hell do you know exactly which school which people went to, and especially Field Marshalls in WW2?!! You crazy crazy mofo's!

Erm, it's called reading. I've read Monetgomery's biography, and I have the ability to remember facts, thus I know where he went.

Roger Bannister went to Exeter College, Oxford; same college as JRR Tolkein, who went to King Edward's School
Reply 15
BazTheMoney
Erm, it's called reading. I've read Monetgomery's biography, and I have the ability to remember facts, thus I know where he went.

Roger Bannister went to Exeter College, Oxford; same college as JRR Tolkein, who went to King Edward's School

JJR Tolkein's son John was educated at Stonyhurst College where Tolkein took inspiration for much of his 'shire'..
Reply 16
Joey_Johns
JJR Tolkein's son John was educated at Stonyhurst College where Tolkein took inspiration for much of his 'shire'..

Gah, the last one is crap because John is only a priest so I will replace it.

Sean bean starred in Tolkein's LOTR, he went to the royal academy for dramatic arts.
Reply 17
Joey_Johns
Gah, the last one is crap because John is only a priest so I will replace it.

Sean bean starred in Tolkein's LOTR, he went to the royal academy for dramatic arts.

Sean Bean was in the film Windprints with John Hurt, who narrated the TV documentary The Alien Saga in which Joss Whedon,who attended Winchester, was interviewed (being the creator of Buffy, Angel and other TV series).

Okay, a bit fragile, but a link nonetheless :biggrin:
Reply 18
Why don't you, amex and chums play the Upper Class Twit of the Year?

The final round is my favourite :smile:

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/compdiff/uppercla.jpg
Reply 19
amex
Sean Bean was in the film Windprints with John Hurt, who narrated the TV documentary The Alien Saga in which Joss Whedon,who attended Winchester, was interviewed (being the creator of Buffy, Angel and other TV series).

Okay, a bit fragile, but a link nonetheless :biggrin:

well, Anthony Steward Head who acted as Giles in Buffy, was educated at London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA). don't know if that counts as a public school... :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending