Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is trump wanting to build a wall racist/completely wrong? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The great wall of china worked pretty well keeping the Mongols out.

Probably where Trump got the idea from lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    "Look at the Berlin wall, how much good did that do" I dont even know where to start. The Berlin wall divided in its own country, it's completly different.
    Er, no it didn't. Did you not know that Germany was actually two separate countries while the Berlin Wall was up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Er, no it didn't. Did you not know that Germany was actually two separate countries while the Berlin Wall was up?
    yes Germany was one country then they split it in 2 and built a wall right??

ReputationRep:
    yes Germany was one country then they split it in 2 and built a wall right??
    Yes, but it was two separate countries while the wall was up. If them being the same country at a point before that meant building a wall was wrong, then you could make the case that a US-Mexico wall is equally wrong, as all four US border states were part of Mexico before they were part of the US.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it was two separate countries while the wall was up. If them being the same country at a point before that meant building a wall was wrong, then you could make the case that a US-Mexico wall is equally wrong, as all four US border states were part of Mexico before they were part of the US.
    the US and mexico are not currently one united country. really struggling to see your point. Trump is not trying to divide the southern states to create new states.

ReputationRep:
    the US and mexico are not currently one united country. really struggling to see your point.
    Nor were the GDR (East Germany) and the FRG (West Germany) while the Berlin Wall existed.

ReputationRep:
    I like how people think it's all Trump's idea when (I'm led to believe) it was proposed before he took office.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid, I use to build walls made out of cushions to keep out my younger brother. But then I stopped because he stopped sharing his sweets with me.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be a very large fence.

ReputationRep:
    For all the things to hate on trump for the wall is not one of them. He may have proposed the idea in a way that made you want to say "shut up you prick" but the concept is not really that bad.

If you percevie there to be a problem with illegal immigrants and drugs coming over the border then it is natural that you want to stop this from happening. How can you stop it from happening? physcially stop things coming over the border.

If i go abroad i have to go through passport control and customs to a) make sure i'm entering the country legally and b ) make sure i'm not carrying anything i shouldn't be. This is exactly the same concept just executed differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    For all the things to hate on trump for the wall is not one of them. He may have proposed the idea in a way that made you want to say "shut up you prick" but the concept is not really that bad.

If you percevie there to be a problem with illegal immigrants and drugs coming over the border then it is natural that you want to stop this from happening. How can you stop it from happening? physcially stop things coming over the border.

If i go abroad i have to go through passport control and customs to a) make sure i'm entering the country legally and b ) make sure i'm not carrying anything i shouldn't be. This is exactly the same concept just executed differently.
    Planes and boats. Overstaying legal visas.

Is a wall worth it? Did Trump do a cost-benefit analysis? Oh right, there is not cost, coz Mexico will pay. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    The great wall of china worked pretty well keeping the Mongols out.

Probably where Trump got the idea from lol
    Or maybe from Hadrian's Wall which kept the Scots out :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    There's more than one border. Will I just be able to step around the end of this wall at low water?

There is a problem with drugs. There have been many tunnels, drones and catapults used to cross the Mexico land border, not to mention boats and submarines elsewhere.

A wall is a simplistic approach to a much more complicated issue. The US economy relies on illegal immigrants. AFAIK, he's not currently proposing deporting them all. As you are automatically a US citizen if born in the US, there are lots of Mexican families where the children are US citizens, but not the parents - not so simple to deport all illegal immigrants then, unless you're a heartless illegitimate..

ReputationRep:
    No I live in the most segregated and religiously motivated troubled zone on the planet (Northern Ireland) and if there was no wall there would be rocket launchers every night in quite a nice area. It' belfast can be like Gotham City it's potential is huge and it's a nice area but the conflict here is and was second to none I think it's the worst ever and the wall was necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Nor were the GDR (East Germany) and the FRG (West Germany) while the Berlin Wall existed.
    The difference between the Berlin Wall (and the whole fortified border between West Germany and the DDR) and Trump's putative barrier, is that one wall was built to prevent people leaving the country.

And the other is planned to prevent foreign nationals entering.

The West Germans didn't mind people crossing the Berlin Wall, in fact they encouraged it. Just like the Mexicans don't mind their nationals going to live in the US illegally.

(In fact they turn a blind eye to it too because of the remittances sent back).

Another fairly important difference is that the East German border guards shot their nationals trying to jump the wall.

Really the two walls are not comparable.

ReputationRep:
    You do know the wall is a massive waste of money and will not stop illegals.
    Most fly over.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    You do know the wall is a massive waste of money and will not stop illegals.
    Most fly over.
    This we are in agreement on.

Also a huge amount stay illegally rather than arriving legally. If someone comes on a Visa and then stays illegally, a wall will do nothing to stop them.

It would be a massive waste of money and frankly I cannot see the Republicans passing it through Congress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    This we are in agreement on.

Also a huge amount stay illegally rather than arriving legally. If someone comes on a Visa and then stays illegally, a wall will do nothing to stop them.

It would be a massive waste of money and frankly I cannot see the Republicans passing it through Congress.
    No that is what I am counting on.
    I can't see the GOP allowing the wall.

I am hoping the tax cuts and corp tax cuts pass.

But the wall is a terrible waste of money.

Thought you would like the wall?
    It may have a fiscal multiplier
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    No that is what I am counting on.
    I can't see the GOP allowing the wall.

I am hoping the tax cuts and corp tax cuts pass.

But the wall is a terrible waste of money.

Thought you would like the wall?
    It may have a fiscal multiplier

The wall doesn't generate an income like social housing does.

The Group of Republicans who would have most readily backed the wall would have been the Freedom Caucus (even though they pretend to be libertarian) but he's now made enemies of them.

The tax cuts and corporation tax cuts are likely to be watered down too. He was counting on saving money from repealing Obamacare to fund the tax cuts.

Also he is likely to run into opposition, Moderate Republicans in swing seats are unlikely to want to back massive tax cuts for the wealthy while at the same time supporting massive spending cuts for public services.

This guy does not have a clue what he is doing or what his ideology is.

ReputationRep:

The Group of Republicans who would have most readily backed the wall would have been the Freedom Caucus (even though they pretend to be libertarian) but he's now made enemies of them.

The tax cuts and corporation tax cuts are likely to be watered down too. He was counting on saving money from repealing Obamacare to fund the tax cuts.

Also he is likely to run into opposition, Moderate Republicans in swing seats are unlikely to want to back massive tax cuts for the wealthy while at the same time supporting massive spending cuts for public services.

It is a shame he couldn't repeal obamacare.
    From what gladstone said the bill was an awful one ( too left and din't go far enough).
    He needed to proceed with a more thorough overhaul.
    He is facing opposition from the right if his party.
    The tax cuts have a decent chance of passing.

The corporation tax cuts will raise revenue(providing his protectionism is blocked).
    The tax cuts will stimulate growth and investment.
    The stock market reacted well to a Trump victory on the hope of deregulation and tax cuts
    A non partisan foundation estimated they could lift wages nearly 8 percent and produce 1.7 million new jobs over the decade.
    Also a harvard economist said Trump would be able to boost growth from 2% to 4%.
    Inflation will be a problem( quite a big one) but if the tax cuts go to the wealthy inflation won't rise much.
    The funny thing with Trump is that he is a Keynesian in a way as he is ignoring inflation.

If he can win the hardliners over then he can pass them. The GOP should be supporting tax cuts. I am not sure they will abandon austerity however.
    Trump will cut areas ( hopefully public spending) to pay for them

True, better than crooked Hilary.
    I was hoping for a Ron Paul victory then supported Cruz ( Kasich was a good choice but had no chance and he let Trump win by not dropping out).
    We have to hope the GOP can accept his good policies(tax cuts, deregulation) and block his bad policies( wall and protectionism)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.