Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is trump wanting to build a wall racist/completely wrong? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    It is a shame he couldn't repeal obamacare.
    From what gladstone said the bill was an awful one ( too left and din't go far enough).
    He needed to proceed with a more thorough overhaul.
    He is facing opposition from the right if his party.
    The bill managed to annoy people on the right and left of the Republican party. The right wanted a total repeal, whereas moderate Republicans felt it was in effect too right wing and kicked too many people off healthcare.

Obamacare has high approval ratings at the moment.

The tax cuts have a decent chance of passing.
    Depends. Moderate tax cuts yes, but huge tax cuts no. He simply cannot justify a $1 trillion infrastructure project while at the same time cutting taxes hugely.

The corporation tax cuts will raise revenue(providing his protectionism is blocked).
    We've had this debate in depth so let's not get into it again. There are several factors, though my initial opinion is that cutting so drastically from 36% to 15% will at least in the short term (3-4 years) cost money. Even if the 15% rate does attract corporations, it takes a long time and much planning for them to actually relocate.

Also, as you say, corporations will be put off by Trump's trade tariffs and protectionism which will likely override any benefits to them of a low tax rate.

The tax cuts will stimulate growth and investment.
    Again, see above. Maybe, depends on the tax cuts and a whole host of other factors.

The stock market reacted well to a Trump victory on the hope of deregulation and tax cuts
    The stock market changes all the time. It's not a particularly good long term indicator. Any benefits of deregulation and tax cuts will likely be overridden by tariffs.

A non partisan foundation estimated they could lift wages nearly 8 percent and produce 1.7 million new jobs over the decade.
    Also a harvard economist said Trump would be able to boost growth from 2% to 4%.
    Links?

If he can win the hardliners over then he can pass them. The GOP should be supporting tax cuts. I am not sure they will abandon austerity however.
    Trump will cut areas ( hopefully public spending) to pay for them
    Considering he's promised a $1 trillion dollar infrastructure project, it doesn't look likely. Democrats may even support him on that one.

He's made an enemy of the Republican hardliners already and they will be less likely to back him now.

True, better than crooked Hilary.
    I hardly think Trump is any less crooked.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't say racist, just a colossal, stupid waste of billions of dollars that won't work.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of countries have walls, it's called a border.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astutehirstute)
    The difference between the Berlin Wall (and the whole fortified border between West Germany and the DDR) and Trump's putative barrier, is that one wall was built to prevent people leaving the country.

And the other is planned to prevent foreign nationals entering.
    So what? From the perspective of the person trying to cross the wall, they seem the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    So what? From the perspective of the person trying to cross the wall, they seem the same.
    You think there is no moral difference between a regime that builds a wall then shoots its own citizens who try and escape over it, and another which builds a wall to attempt to prevent the citizens of another country from entering illegally? And if they succeed in crossing it, merely deports them?

Seriously?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You think there is no moral difference between a regime that builds a wall then shoots its own citizens who try and escape over it, and another which builds a wall to attempt to prevent the citizens of another country from entering illegally? And if they succeed in crossing it, merely deports them?

Seriously?
    Are you really in favour of spending massive amounts of taxpayers money on what in all likeliness will be an ineffective measure?

ReputationRep:

Seriously?
    I'm going to separate this into two sections. Firstly, the brutality of the methods used. True, I would regard a regime that didn't shoot people trying to cross a border wall to be more moral than one which did. But the implication that the US is an example of the former simply isn't true - US border guards do indeed shoot and sometimes kill border crossers - 33 were killed from 2010 to 2015.

Secondly, the question of which state is doing it. Do I think there's a moral difference between State A forcibly preventing people from moving from A to B, and State B doing the same thing? No, I see none at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there should be no borders whatsoever

everyone should go where they please

in reality...

All other people will have borders, but only White majority nations will not as its "racist"

Look at Japan as an example. They're not even tolerant of other Asian like Korean. They wish Japan to stay Japanese. You go to Tokyo, the only non-Japanese you'll see are largely tourists.

You go to many parts of London and you'll see few White faces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)

If you percevie there to be a problem with illegal immigrants and drugs coming over the border then it is natural that you want to stop this from happening. How can you stop it from happening? physcially stop things coming over the border.
    This is what happens
    1. You sum up the ills of society like unemployment, poverty, crime and violence
    2. You find a group of easily identifiable people who have little or no standing in society or a collective voice. Immigrants or religeous or racial groups are perfect.
    3. You blaim the ills societyon them.
    4. Finally you propose concrete and simple solutions like locking them up or building a wall to keep them out.

The problem is that the ills of society are generally caused by policy of unintended consequences over many years and the solution is definitely not simple. But a narrative of simple solutions to complex issues naturally plays very well amongst voters and that is what it ultimately boils down to. Disappointment at the cost and lack of success with the wall will not take long to grow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    I'm going to separate this into two sections. Firstly, the brutality of the methods used. True, I would regard a regime that didn't shoot people trying to cross a border wall to be more moral than one which did. But the implication that the US is an example of the former simply isn't true - US border guards do indeed shoot and sometimes kill border crossers - 33 were killed from 2010 to 2015.

Secondly, the question of which state is doing it. Do I think there's a moral difference between State A forcibly preventing people from moving from A to B, and State B doing the same thing? No, I see none at all.
    On your first point 33 shootings (assuming your data is correct, I note you didn't provide numbers of deaths) is a tiny percentage of the illegal border crossings during the period. We can't know how many that was, obviously, but the Department of Homeland Security estimates that there were 6,650, 000 illegal Mexican immigrants living in the US during that period. All of them crossed the border, none of them was shot.

By contrast very few East Germans "escaped" to the west. If you have data of how many did emigrate please provide it, but I refuse to accept the scale is at all comparable. The population of East German was only 16 million at the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Why? There was an official shoot to kill policy, everybody knew that, it was publicly stated, so few dared to try. I repeat, the situations are not morally comparable.

As for your second point we will have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Are you really in favour of spending massive amounts of taxpayers money on what in all likeliness will be an ineffective measure?
    As it happens I am not, but that is not relevant to whether the putative US border wall is racist and wrong.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As it happens I am not, but that is not relevant to whether the putative US border wall is racist and wrong.
    So you can criticise Trump!

It's not racist, though it is wrong due to the pure stupidity of the idea as well as wasting huge amounts of taxpayers money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    So you can criticise Trump!

It's not racist, though it is wrong due to the pure stupidity of the idea as well as wasting huge amounts of taxpayers money.
    Well it is not our call, it is the American people's decision to make. We don't get to vote in American elections and it isn't really any of our business.

I don't think it is feasible, but that isn't because a wall in itself wouldn't be an essential first step to stop illegal immigration. The issue is that the measures necessary in addition
    are too immoral and inhumane. No-one (serious) says the border walls built by North Korea and in the past, the DDR don't, didn't work. They are, were, ruthlessly effective. But obviously, no civilised democracy can just shoot from watchtowers like that. If anyone from the US asked me (no-one will) I would say, you don't go to the expense of building a wall over thousands of miles that the "wetbacks" will simply climb over or tunnel through. And the worst that can happen is that they get sent back over the border to try again the next night.

That qualitative difference between how a totalitarian state operates border security and how the US ever would is why the comparison made by my other interlocutor on this thread between this and the Berlin Wall was so absurd.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well it is not our call, it is the American people's decision to make. We don't get to vote in American elections and it isn't really any of our business.

I don't think it is feasible, but that isn't because a wall in itself wouldn't be an essential first step to stop illegal immigration. The issue is that the measures necessary in addition
    are too immoral and inhumane. No-one (serious) says the border walls built by North Korea and in the past, the DDR don't, didn't work. They are, were, ruthlessly effective. But obviously, no civilised democracy can just shoot from watchtowers like that. If anyone from the US asked me (no-one will) I would say, you don't go to the expense of building a wall over thousands of miles that the "wetbacks" will simply climb over or tunnel through. And the worst that can happen is that they get sent back over the border to try again the next night.

That qualitative difference between how a totalitarian state operates border security and how the US ever would is why the comparison made by my other interlocutor on this thread between this and the Berlin Wall was so absurd.
    I agree. Won't stop him wanting me though and throwing his toys out the pram when Congress won't fund it.

It's already been pulled from the budget and will likely just be shelved.

Doesn't really enhance Trump's image of being this tough guy negotiator who gets what he wants, especially after his incompetency on helathcare.

ReputationRep:
    Not inherently, a border between the US and Mexico exists, there is a substantial amount of illegal immigration coming from Mexico and illegal immigration is by definition illegal. The wall (it's actual effectiveness aside) serves to further enforce a law that already exists and that is not itself based upon race.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.