Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I in the wrong here, or do I need to move on? Watch

So some backstory, me and my girlfriend met up in our first year of University and we've now been together for about two years. We've had our fair share of ups and downs, but the negatives are starting to glare.

I'm going to approach this topic as objectively as possible, since I don't want an echo chamber response, if I'm in the wrong I'd genuinely like to know.

My girlfriend is very apprehensive of other girls, she's never once been jealous of my long-term girl(friends) but any new girl I speak to is ultimately damned in her eyes, even if they are not my type/in a relationship of their own.

In the past, I've had to pull away from several girls I've spoken to since they've represented a threat, even though I have never once cheated or even been overtly flirtatious with any girls.

Recently I even stopped speaking to my long-term best friend (a guy) because he said and did things that were insulting and humiliating towards my girlfriend. In her defence he was really out of turn, but it just represents how much I've tried to change for her.

However, even after traversing all these obstacles in our relationship, she continues to not trust me and be questioning of just about every girl I speak to.

She does have a lot on her plate, dealing with a difficult degree, and I do have a huge circle of female friends (but I honestly think that's just because I'm quite camp haha). So I can see her side of things, but I honestly thought after proving myself time and time again after these two years that things would have changed, and they just haven't.

What do you think TSR, am I in the wrong here? I love her very much and would hate to lose her, but in equal parts I'm a social guy and I can't help it that a lot of my friends are female.

ReputationRep:
    99% of the time the people who don't trust you are snakes. They don't trust themselves so assume everyone is as dishonest as them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    99% of the time the people who don't trust you are snakes. They don't trust themselves so assume everyone is as dishonest as them.
    Damn, so much truth in this. ^
    For them to accuse you of something you never did, they had to have done it themselves for it to even cross their mind.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily say she's a snake or a dishonest, as others have suggested. Could be she's very insecure and feels like you might think you could do better, not as a reflection of you as a person, but as a reflection of how inadequate she feels against these other girls?She also may have been cheated on in the past and expects such *****y treatment now. Or could be the relationship is going so well that she's subconsciously scared of being hurt and is unaware that she's doing things to try and now break it before you have a chance to hurt her too much.

So many possibilities. If you're not okay with her behaving this way, speak to her about it. Reassure her you aren't going to cheat and try to get to the bottom of why she feels this way. But in the end make it clear that you'll continue to be social and make female friends as you wish and if she can't handle it she should maybe find someone else?

ReputationRep:
    From all that information, it sounds like's you've done nothing wrong. How many of your female friends does she know, OP? How are you meeting these new girls? Has your GF had the chance to meet any of your new friends?
    Maybe you should sit down with your GF and talk these issues over. Ask her why she has a problem with you making new female friends. See what you can do to make her feel more comfortable.

To be honest, it sounds like's she being unreasonable

ReputationRep:
    If she's paranoid it's likely not because of you but because someone else has broken her trust or she's just really insecure. However I think the worst thing you can do is pander to those insecurities, it's not healthy in a relationship to be unable to make friends or constantly have to 'prove' your trustworthiness and she needs to move past them - she'll only get over it by being forced to confront her fears.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.