Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I live in London at the moment, about 30-40 minutes from UCL by train. I'm seriously debating whether I should just stay at home (at least for the first year) and commute in to save money or move out into accommodation. Obviously, London accommodation and life isn't cheap by any means, and I'm thinking I could probably save myself in excess of £10,000 by doing this. But at the same time, I'm worried about missing out on the student life - I'm not big on clubbing, but I planned on getting myself involved as much as possible.

Any tips would be helpful (and perhaps some tips on alternative accommodation options)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would really recommend doing the whole uni life thing, if at least for the first year.

I'm not into clubbing, but I made my best friends in freshers and people in my halls. We would do movie nights in each others rooms, go to the union bar, catch a movie...

I would highly recommend moving it!

ReputationRep:
    i agree with noodlzzz student accommodation is a great way to meet people and they usually organise putting people together in a flat that are like-minded, so you'll definitely make good friends that way! also, lots of people meet who they'll move out with in their accommodation, since you've already lived together a year. you can always move back home in your second year if you wanted to, but definitely try and get the experience for uni life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedwards)
    Hi guys,

I live in London at the moment, about 30-40 minutes from UCL by train. I'm seriously debating whether I should just stay at home (at least for the first year) and commute in to save money or move out into accommodation. Obviously, London accommodation and life isn't cheap by any means, and I'm thinking I could probably save myself in excess of £10,000 by doing this. But at the same time, I'm worried about missing out on the student life - I'm not big on clubbing, but I planned on getting myself involved as much as possible.

Any tips would be helpful (and perhaps some tips on alternative accommodation options)
    Hey! I live an hour commute from UCL and chose to live in 1st year.

Honestly, it was such a good decision. I know it's expensive but you would spend a lot of money of the commute anyway, and the uni experience really isn't the same.

I've learnt so much about myself by living independently and made some of my best friends. If I'd commuted, it would have just felt like commuting to college with less hours.

I'm very happy I'm living in first year, then, if I need to, in my 2nd and 4th years I could always commute from home.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

I definitely think I'm going to move out - it sounds like a great opportunity and the best way to get the full experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scavi2008)
    Hey! I live an hour commute from UCL and chose to live in 1st year.

Honestly, it was such a good decision. I know it's expensive but you would spend a lot of money of the commute anyway, and the uni experience really isn't the same.

I've learnt so much about myself by living independently and made some of my best friends. If I'd commuted, it would have just felt like commuting to college with less hours.

I'm very happy I'm living in first year, then, if I need to, in my 2nd and 4th years I could always commute from home.
    Thank you! I'm definitely applying for accommodation now, you're only a first year once

May I ask you a few accommodation related questions?:
    -Would you recommend catered or self-catered? I was thinking of going for self, just to add to the whole 'independent' aspect of it
    -Should I apply to UCL halls/houses or intercollegiate/private? Would this make a big difference to my experience
    -Is it reasonably easy to work while you're at UCL so you can help cover some of the costs?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm definitely applying for accommodation now, you're only a first year once

May I ask you a few accommodation related questions?:
    -Would you recommend catered or self-catered? I was thinking of going for self, just to add to the whole 'independent' aspect of it
    -Should I apply to UCL halls/houses or intercollegiate/private? Would this make a big difference to my experience
    -Is it reasonably easy to work while you're at UCL so you can help cover some of the costs?
    I'm self catered and that works absolutely fine for me Depends on your personal preferences really - two things to consider are that food shopping is generally more expensive in London, but also that in catered halls you have limited times in which you can eat and often there are only very very limited cooking facilities.

Doesn't really matter, again, depends what you prefer. I'm in a UCL student house and really like it, personally I prefer living with just other UCL students as we have more in common, but some prefer the variety of intercollegiate halls. Private accomodation is very nice but often VERY expensive.

Yeah I don't personally have a job but there's loads of part time work out there. I have lots of friends who tutor or do ad hoc shifts in bars etc. How many contact hour should you have will affect how easy it will be for you to work alongside your studies.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scavi2008)
    I'm self catered and that works absolutely fine for me Depends on your personal preferences really - two things to consider are that food shopping is generally more expensive in London, but also that in catered halls you have limited times in which you can eat and often there are only very very limited cooking facilities.

Doesn't really matter, again, depends what you prefer. I'm in a UCL student house and really like it, personally I prefer living with just other UCL students as we have more in common, but some prefer the variety of intercollegiate halls. Private accomodation is very nice but often VERY expensive.

Yeah I don't personally have a job but there's loads of part time work out there. I have lots of friends who tutor or do ad hoc shifts in bars etc. How many contact hour should you have will affect how easy it will be for you to work alongside your studies.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you so much!

I think I want student housing tbh, I'm so excited now!

ReputationRep:
    When I first applied to UCL via UCAS, I wrote that I would be living at home but now I'm starting to think I should live in UCL accommodation. I have my offer but would it be okay to contact them and let them know I changed my mind or is it already set in stone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    When I first applied to UCL via UCAS, I wrote that I would be living at home but now I'm starting to think I should live in UCL accommodation. I have my offer but would it be okay to contact them and let them know I changed my mind or is it already set in stone?
    I did the same, but I don't believe it matters. I think they just sent some more information if you tick the box, it doesn't impact if you actually apply for accommodation or not (bear this in mind - not everyone who needs accommodation will be applying through the uni anyway, they might go private.) It's not a commitment, it's just an advisory thing for them.

Also, congrats on the offer! What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

I think I want student housing tbh, I'm so excited now!
    You're welcome! And yay!

ReputationRep:
    I did the same, but I don't believe it matters. I think they just sent some more information if you tick the box, it doesn't impact if you actually apply for accommodation or not (bear this in mind - not everyone who needs accommodation will be applying through the uni anyway, they might go private.) It's not a commitment, it's just an advisory thing for them.

Also, congrats on the offer! What course are you doing?
    Ahh okay that's good! And thanks, I'm doing English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    Ahh okay that's good! And thanks, I'm doing English
    Nice! I'm doing Law

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I flunked out of 2 unis, because i was taking advantage of the "student life" way too much, and neglecting my studies. I eventually managed to get my bachelors by renting a room from an old retired couple, within walking distance from the uni i was attending. As they say - the third time's the charm! I kept my nose in the books, and it worked. After that, i worked for the Federal government domestically, and overseas, and then went to work in private industry. Bear in mind, as you go through the educational process, the deadwood tends to drop out. At school, nearly everyone 'fakes' their way through. In undergraduate uni, many people 'fake it' - i know i did. In graduate school, all the chaff has fallen away. Nearly everyone is a serious student at that time. You may find that the competition you are with at uni are considerably more serious [and therefore stiffer competition], that what you were used to at school. I would be very cautious about involving myself in 'student life' in preference to academics. I was lucky to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get a degree! Cheers, and good luck!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.