Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

help with topic of autism and genetics? psychobiology?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Doing an assignment on autism and genetics and have no idea about the topic, trying to get my head around all of the research and its so confusing! any help or info would be great, thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty broad topic, is there anything in particular you're struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to narrow it down to a single argument? Like I'm not sure how to pick a specific thing to talk about

ReputationRep:
    Genetics is broad too.
    Are you focusing on genes? brain areas?

ReputationRep:
    The genetic cause and existing research... I think?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you still need this but I have just completed an exam on biological causes of autism. You could include for example:
    Twin studies - Bailey et al 1995 found that 0% of unidentical twins both developed autism, 60% identical twins DID, and 90% of identical twins developed mild ASD or other related developmental disorders. Frasier et al found that 76% (I think) of identical twins both developed ASD, 34% of unidentical same sex twins developed ASD, and 18% of boy-girl twins developed ASD. This suggests a genetic link as identical twins share 100% of their DNA
    ALSO, a family that has one child with autism is more likely to have another child with autism in comparison to a family that hasnt had a child with autism (genetic link?)
    Another point would be to look at the differences in ASD and typical children brains: ASD children have reduced cortical connectivity than typically developing children. Autistic children often have problems with (I believe) their temporal lobe - look this up in case its not right!
    One more point is that autism is more often found in children that also suffer from genetic disorders (such as Fragile X Syndrome) which would also suggest that there is a biological link to developing ASD.
    Biological causes is a very broad topic but it is good to include all aspects, such as genetics and brain structure. Could also include counter arguments such as nature vs nurture. There is research that suggests there are environmental triggers that can increase the risk of autism- worth a look!

Hope this is useful to you and its not too late! I am going to make an assumption that you and others commenting on this post are students, so would be very appreciative if you could fill out my survey for my dissertation if you have a spare 20 minutes. All anonymous and am really struggling to get participants!
    https://tinyurl.com/zbubxju available on this link
    Again, I hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.