The Student Room Group

Glasgow or Cambridge??

Hi!

I have conditional offers to study vet med at both Glasgow and Cambridge for 2017 entry. I'm so so chuffed but i really can't decide what I'm going to make my firm and insurance choices on UCAS, so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

It would be A LOT cheaper for me to just go to Glasgow because I'm Scottish so I wouldn't have to pay 9 grand a year of tuition fees and it's only a 5 year course, so I would graduate a lot quicker. Also, the people in Glasgow are lovely and the vet school campus is quite nice.

However, I'm worried that going to Cambridge is an opportunity that is too good to miss, and I'll regret not taking the chance. Obviously it would be very expensive and it's a year longer, but you get 2 degrees out of it. I am really interested in the sciencey side of stuff too, and I think this would be covered really well at Cambridge, but I'm not sure if Glasgow is as sciencey. I also like the practical side of stuff, but I've heard you don't get as much of that at Cambridge. I'm also not sure if I just want to go into vet practice, I'd like to explore other related stuff too.

I'm 100% up for the challenge of going to Cambridge, but I've heard the workload can be unmanageable and there is little support for students. Is this true for vet students? And would I be better off just going to Glasgow?

I would appreciate any help, especially from current students!

:smile:)
Cambridge was really amazing tbh. I wouldn't pass that up. It's a one in a lifetime experience. It's not perfect, but it has some unique amazing things about it. And it's hardly going to be bad for your lifetime earning prospects, is it now?
Do it :yy:
And congratulations :smile:
Reply 2
obviously you should consider the financial aspect but at the end of the day if you chose not to take up Cambridge just because of the money then it would be a terrible shame - go for which one you think you will enjoy more and get the most out of!
You'd be a muppet to go for Glasgow, tbh. Cambridge is one of the world's best universities and the debt shouldn't put you off (Cambridge opens more doors to higher-paying jobs than Glasgow). Short-term pain for long-term gain = good trade.
I'd go for Cambridge. Almost everyone that I've talked to that went to Cambridge said it was honestly an unforgettable experience.
If Cambridge thought you couldn't handle the workload or you wouldn't benefit from their education then they wouldn't have given you an offer!
I'd say go for Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ef9983
Hi!

I have conditional offers to study vet med at both Glasgow and Cambridge for 2017 entry. I'm so so chuffed but i really can't decide what I'm going to make my firm and insurance choices on UCAS, so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

It would be A LOT cheaper for me to just go to Glasgow because I'm Scottish so I wouldn't have to pay 9 grand a year of tuition fees and it's only a 5 year course, so I would graduate a lot quicker. Also, the people in Glasgow are lovely and the vet school campus is quite nice.

However, I'm worried that going to Cambridge is an opportunity that is too good to miss, and I'll regret not taking the chance. Obviously it would be very expensive and it's a year longer, but you get 2 degrees out of it. I am really interested in the sciencey side of stuff too, and I think this would be covered really well at Cambridge, but I'm not sure if Glasgow is as sciencey. I also like the practical side of stuff, but I've heard you don't get as much of that at Cambridge. I'm also not sure if I just want to go into vet practice, I'd like to explore other related stuff too.

I'm 100% up for the challenge of going to Cambridge, but I've heard the workload can be unmanageable and there is little support for students. Is this true for vet students? And would I be better off just going to Glasgow?

I would appreciate any help, especially from current students!

If Vet Med is like Med, that it shouldn't matter where you go - you have identical prospects. Furthermore, you can do an intercalated degree at other universities like Imperial, KCL, Bristol etc.
Well done on getting your offers! :smile:

People replying here don't really take into the account the fact that it's veterinary medicine we're talking about here, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter AT ALL where you end up.
And considering you're Scottish, if I were you I wouldn't even think twice about it, Glasgow would be the obvious choice for me. They're not only more practical than Cambridge, but it's also closer to your home and you'll be avoiding the £54000 debt.

I think Glasgow is a win-win situation here, especially considering you can also intercalate at Glasgow and graduate with 2 degrees!!!

But if you end up choosing Cambridge make sure you choose it not because it's Cambridge (because as I mentioned before it doesn't give you any advantage as a vet) but because you think the course structure is better suited for you or you would prefer to live there in general.
Cambridge is no better for veterinary than Glasgow. Cambridge will not aid you in getting a better job than glasgow and if anything the lack of practical skills muted to be with Cambridge grads may work against you.

You'll come out as a vet at the end of the day and you'll enjoy wherever you go. Glasgow and Cambridge have to cover the same bases, so the difference in "sciencyness" is somewhat a mute point and the additional degree is of no benefit to you as a vet, or getting further qualifications as a vet, or scientist as it's just another undergrad degree. (Here at Nottingham we also have 2).

Points worth considering
- Cost - £54000 vs £0 is a hell of an undertaking
- How much you like to party
- Practicalness of the course
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
If Vet Med is like Med, that it shouldn't matter where you go - you have identical prospects. Furthermore, you can do an intercalated degree at other universities like Imperial, KCL, Bristol etc.

Original post by Nessie162
Well done on getting your offers! :smile:

People replying here don't really take into the account the fact that it's veterinary medicine we're talking about here, and at the end of the day it doesn't matter AT ALL where you end up.
And considering you're Scottish, if I were you I wouldn't even think twice about it, Glasgow would be the obvious choice for me. They're not only more practical than Cambridge, but it's also closer to your home and you'll be avoiding the £54000 debt.

I think Glasgow is a win-win situation here, especially considering you can also intercalate at Glasgow and graduate with 2 degrees!!!

But if you end up choosing Cambridge make sure you choose it not because it's Cambridge (because as I mentioned before it doesn't give you any advantage as a vet) but because you think the course structure is better suited for you or you would prefer to live there in general.

Agreed with both these posts :smile:

Choose the course that is the most suitable for you OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies. If I did go to Cambridge, it definitely wouldn't be to boost career prospects or just because it's Cambridge. I think it would be because of the in-depth science taught by "world-leaders in their subjects" and maybe for the experience and the challenge. Obviously Glasgow would be much more sensible because it's cheaper and you get the same degree. Are there any vet students actually at Cambridge or Glasgow that could help me??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations!!! I don't think Glasgow would lack in teaching the in-depth science really. Is there an option to intercalate at glasgow? If so, look into doing a BSC in biochemistry or something if you'd like a more in depth knowledge of the science. I do think the amount of science you'll be learning at glasgow will be extensive and this shouldn't be a deciding factor for your choice.
Reply 11
Original post by bex.anne
Congratulations!!! I don't think Glasgow would lack in teaching the in-depth science really. Is there an option to intercalate at glasgow? If so, look into doing a BSC in biochemistry or something if you'd like a more in depth knowledge of the science. I do think the amount of science you'll be learning at glasgow will be extensive and this shouldn't be a deciding factor for your choice.

Thank you! There is an option to intercalate so I might look into that. Okey dokey, that's helpful, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Cambridge is no better for veterinary than Glasgow. Cambridge will not aid you in getting a better job than glasgow and if anything the lack of practical skills muted to be with Cambridge grads may work against you.

You'll come out as a vet at the end of the day and you'll enjoy wherever you go. Glasgow and Cambridge have to cover the same bases, so the difference in "sciencyness" is somewhat a mute point and the additional degree is of no benefit to you as a vet, or getting further qualifications as a vet, or scientist as it's just another undergrad degree. (Here at Nottingham we also have 2).

Points worth considering
- Cost - £54000 vs £0 is a hell of an undertaking
- How much you like to party
- Practicalness of the course

Sorry, calling this out for ********.

'the lack of practical skills muted to be with Cambridge grads'

Vague (what 'practical skills' are you referring to, exactly, and what does 'muted' do for you in this sentence?) and complete hearsay; in my experience (I'm a Cambridge undergrad, full disclosure), this is entirely untrue.

'so the difference in "sciencyness" is somewhat a mute point'

Not really, considering Cambridge is blessed with some of the greatest academics in the world - and, what's more, they will sit down and teach you one-on-one multiple times a week. The super-curricular opportunities at Cambridge are absolutely phenomenal (and very varied). I know of medics doing unbelievable things in their summers which other universities simply don't offer.

'Points worth considering'

I mean, this section entirely skips out everywhere Cambridge trumps Glasgow, so I'll introduce an equally biased version to counter-balance.

Points worth considering:

- Quality of academia - Cambridge is world-leading and you'll be taught, therefore, by world-leaders in their fields
- Super-curricular opportunities, academic networking, and contacts
- Style of teaching - supervisions + lectures vs lectures (honestly, supervisions are the reason I went to Cambs and they're not over-hyped at all imo; I think I'd lose my mind sitting in a lecture hall all day every day for x years being told the answers)
Original post by ef9983
but I've heard the workload can be unmanageable and there is little support for students.

Anecdote and hearsay are rife regarding Cambridge courses.

The workload is intense - you wouldn't expect any less. But of course it isn't 'unmanageable' - each year a cohort goes through the system and out the other side without too many deaths, so this is evidence enough that it's eminently 'manageable', with the usual provisos of time management and work productivity. I would argue that the tutorial/DoS system based in college provides far more support for students than you'd find in a non-collegiate university. It's more about being willing to access and use the support that's available at Cambridge that's sometimes the issue.
Original post by Parliament
Sorry, calling this out for ********.

'the lack of practical skills muted to be with Cambridge grads'

Vague (what 'practical skills' are you referring to, exactly, and what does 'muted' do for you in this sentence?) and complete hearsay; in my experience (I'm a Cambridge undergrad, full disclosure), this is entirely untrue.

'so the difference in "sciencyness" is somewhat a mute point'

Not really, considering Cambridge is blessed with some of the greatest academics in the world - and, what's more, they will sit down and teach you one-on-one multiple times a week. The super-curricular opportunities at Cambridge are absolutely phenomenal (and very varied). I know of medics doing unbelievable things in their summers which other universities simply don't offer.

Are you a vet student?

It is hardly news to the veterinary world that Cambridge grads are perhaps unfairly, stated to have less practical experience when first qualified.

'Points worth considering'

I mean, this section entirely skips out everywhere Cambridge trumps Glasgow, so I'll introduce an equally biased version to counter-balance.

Points worth considering:

- Quality of academia - Cambridge is world-leading and you'll be taught, therefore, by world-leaders in their fields

True, there are some quality academics at Cambridge. That said is it significantly higher than the other vet schools for actual tangible benefit? No

I also have no bias, as I attend neither Glasgow nor Cambridge

- Super-curricular opportunities, academic networking, and contacts

In some other fields, absolutely - at vet school... No. Cambridge has no better vet contacts than any other. You just have to look at the employability figures for that info for a crude guide to that

- Style of teaching - supervisions + lectures vs lectures (honestly, supervisions are the reason I went to Cambs and they're not over-hyped at all imo; I think I'd lose my mind sitting in a lecture hall all day every day for x years being told the answers)

That is conjecture and unprovable, you like tutorial and supervision style teaching. The other vet schools have to get you to the same standard as the others in order to meet, you can't show that to be superior.

I'm not saying Cambridge is a bad vet school, it most certainly isn't. But do I think it's £54,000 better than Glasgow and a flight to go home? No I don't, not by a long shot
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you a vet student?

It is hardly news to the veterinary world that Cambridge grads are perhaps unfairly, stated to have less practical experience when first qualified.

Citation needed (or is this just hearsay?)

True, there are some quality academics at Cambridge. That said is it significantly higher than the other vet schools for actual tangible benefit? No

Why? Or are you just happy to assert? If we're playing the assertion game, I'll just assert that you're wrong and that Cambridge is the best university in the galaxy (citation: http://theporterslog.com/news/new-league-table-reveals-cambridge-is-best-university-in-the-galaxy/)

In some other fields, absolutely - at vet school... No. Cambridge has no better vet contacts than any other.

Citation needed (or is this just hearsay?)

Think I'll just whack that onto copy and paste.

That is conjecture and unprovable, you like tutorial and supervision style teaching. The other vet schools have to get you to the same standard as the others in order to meet, you can't show that to be superior.

End results being supposedly equal =/= the way to get there was equal

The reason so many people apply to Cambs is because they prefer the supervision system to sitting in a lecture hall for years. If that's the kind of learning method that appeals to you above having a one-on-one chat with a world-class academic then, shucks, be my guest, but somehow I doubt many people would plump for lectures over conversation with an academic.

I'm not saying Cambridge is a bad vet school, it most certainly isn't. But do I think it's £54,000 better than Glasgow and a flight to go home? No I don't, not by a long shot

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just thought your post completely disregarded any advantages Cambridge offers (which are v numerous) and tbh I still believe OP's been handed a once in a lifetime opportunity here that thousands of people around the world strive for every year... is that worth £54k of debt which will mostly be written off anyway? Sure. Memories, academic challenge and opportunity, and super-curricular awesomeness > money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending