Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017 applicants from germany Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    I am from germany and I am trying to study in the UK.

I personally think it is really hard to compare the abitur with a-levels and therefore it is really hard to guess if you have a chance or not.

Experience from current german students or applicants would be great! Sometimes you can feel pretty overwhelmed by the difficulties of a foreign education system.

As to me, I have applied for chemistry/ chemistry with medicinal chemistry to KCL,UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasglow.:bl:

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simone0110)
    Hey there!

I personally think it is really hard to compare the abitur with a-levels and therefore it is really hard to guess if you have a chance or not.

Experience from current german students or applicants would be great! Sometimes you can feel pretty overwhelmed by the difficulties of a foreign education system.

As to me, I have applied for chemistry/ chemistry with medicinal chemistry to KCL,UCL, St Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasglow.:bl:

How about you?
    You should apply for Oxford if you're interested in Chemistry. Also when are you applying this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaNikita)
    You should apply for Oxford if you're interested in Chemistry. Also when are you applying this year?

I already applied, as I am planning to start university this year!

I hope I didn't choose a misleading title
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Hey there!

How about you?
    Come to the St Andrews thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Come to the St Andrews thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am already in the St Andrews thread, but thanks for your suggestion!

I just have the feeling that there are no active german applicants in this threat.

It is very hard to see the people who got in with their a-level grades because you have no idea how good these grades are, if you would transfer them into the german abitur system.

So comparing your grades with them in order for you to see if you have a chance is quite difficult
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

How about you?
    All you can do is compare yourself with their abitur requirements. And you may find they are higher for the Scottish universities due to the fee arrangements.

Eg UCL
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...hemistry-msci/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    All you can do is compare yourself with their abitur requirements. And you may find they are higher for the Scottish universities due to the fee arrangements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yes, they definitely are:sadnod:
    Thanks a lot for the link!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, they definitely are:sadnod:
    Thanks a lot for the link! Unfortunately, not every university has foreign entry requirements this specific as UCL does.
    They all seem to publish requirements for German applicants...

Glasgow: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_245404_en.pdf
    "Award of Abitur with overall average grade of 1.5 with grade 13 in 4 Abiturprufung subjects."

Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...ts/g-l/germany
    "Abitur at 1.3 overall with 13 in 2 Leistungskurse subjects, including required subjects."

St Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/en...ments/germany/
    "Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochshulreife (Abitur) Offer range: 1.2 to 1.1 overall, with 14 or above in at least two subjects, including relevant subjects."

KCL: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...rnational.aspx
    Assuming AAB : Award of the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur) with 1.5 overall and two LK (Leistungkurse) subjects at grades 13, 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They all seem to publish requirements for German applicants...

Glasgow: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_245404_en.pdf
    "Award of Abitur with overall average grade of 1.5 with grade 13 in 4 Abiturprufung subjects."

Edinburgh: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...ts/g-l/germany
    "Abitur at 1.3 overall with 13 in 2 Leistungskurse subjects, including required subjects."

St Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/en...ments/germany/
    "Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochshulreife (Abitur) Offer range: 1.2 to 1.1 overall, with 14 or above in at least two subjects, including relevant subjects."

KCL: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...rnational.aspx
    Assuming AAB : Award of the Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur) with 1.5 overall and two LK (Leistungkurse) subjects at grades 13, 13

I have already seen those, but thanks!
    I thought that these were just the "general" grades you have to have, but don't they differ depending on the subject you're applying for?

For example for chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/...MC/year/2017-8) you need AAB (which is roughly 1.5 in abitur) or 35 IB points (that would be a 2.2 in abitur). So that is quite confusing. These would be lower entry requirements than the 1.2 that they say you have to have as a german applicant on the link you send me :confused::confused::confused:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    For example for chemistry with medicinal chemistry at StA (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/courses/...MC/year/2017-8) you need AAB (which is roughly 1.5 in abitur) or 35 IB points (that would be a 2.2 in abitur). So that is quite confusing. These would be lower entry requirements than the 1.2 that they say you have to have as a german applicant on the link you send me :confused::confused::confused:
    As I said, Scottish requirements for EU applicants are often higher due to the funding "issue".

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am also a German applying to Edinburgh.

I already applied last year for the course, then with predicted grades of 1.5.
    My course has a typical offer of
    AAA / IB 37. I got the rejection message in March, was never really given a reason.

But this time I am applying with achieved grades of 1.4 and a imo better personal statement, so I hope my chances are better now!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    What are your predicted/achieved grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanaelion)
    Hey, I am also a German applying to Edinburgh.

I already applied last year for the course, then with predicted grades of 1.5.
    My course has a typical offer of
    AAA / IB 37. I got the rejection message in March, was never really given a reason.

But this time I am applying with achieved grades of 1.4 and a imo better personal statement, so I hope my chances are better now!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    What are your predicted/achieved grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    March is pretty late... I can't imagine to wait another 2 months...
    Oh I'm sorry for last year. Very fierce of you to try again this year! I am sure you'll make it

My predictet grade is 1.2 or 1.3 (I am not quite sure which one, my teachter changed it in the last moment I think)

For what have you applied ?

ReputationRep:
    Cognitive Science in the Science and Engineering School.
    The course is not really common, that's part of the reason why I am applying again to the same uni.
    In Scotland it is the only uni offering it afaik and in Germany there are also only two, Tübingen and Osnabrück.

If I dont get in, I will probably go to one of the two.

What about you? Do you have a plan B?

Yes the wait is really annoying, but I fear it will be the same this year
    - EU students only get the leftovers because of fee status :/

However, if you get an offer before march, let me know please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanaelion)
    Cognitive Science in the Science and Engineering School.
    The course is not really common, that's part of the reason why I am applying again to the same uni.
    In Scotland it is the only uni offering it afaik and in Germany there are also only two, Tübingen and Osnabrück.

If I dont get in, I will probably go to one of the two.

What about you? Do you have a plan B?

Yes the wait is really annoying, but I fear it will be the same this year
    - EU students only get the leftovers because of fee status :/

However, if you get an offer before march, let me know please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll definitley let you know! But you have to text me as well!
    I heard that it is 1/3 EU, 1/3 Scottish and 1/3 international, I hope that is true but could also just be rumours.

I am going to take the TMS test (Test für medizinische Studiengänge), because my second choice is to study medicin in germany and you probably know that you have to have a 1.0 / 1.1 in order to get an offer.
    But I think that I am also going to apply to some german unis for chemistry, although that would not be my first choice. One of the reasons why I choose to study abroad is that scottish unis offer a mix between chemistry and medicin- basically all I want

I am also taking psychology with neurosciences under consideration but the grades for this are also really high (about 1.3)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I also love it that in the UK there are so many more interdisciplinary courses than in Germany.

Sure, I will post here as soon as I get my offer/rejection from Edinburgh.

Until then we have to just play the waiting game. At least I am on a gap year now, so the waiting is not as bad as it was last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll definitley let you know! But you have to text me as well!
    I heard that it is 1/3 EU, 1/3 Scottish and 1/3 international, I hope that is true but could also just be rumours.

I am going to take the TMS test (Test für medizinische Studiengänge), because my second choice is to study medicin in germany and you probably know that you have to have a 1.0 / 1.1 in order to get an offer.
    But I think that I am also going to apply to some german unis for chemistry, although that would not be my first choice. One of the reasons why I choose to study abroad is that scottish unis offer a mix between chemistry and medicin- basically all I want

I am also taking psychology with neurosciences under consideration but the grades for this are also really high (about 1.3)

Hey
    The one third thing isn't the case (I'd say) since decisions are based on performance and not on nationality

But you've good grade and therefore chances are quite high for you to get into uni^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    *grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackSwan98)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...
    Hey there

Yeah, it's quite a problem. But you are eligible for a student loan from the British government since you're German.^^

The link below should lead you to some scholarships you can apply to.

http://www.e-fellows.net/Studium/Sti...&phrasesearch=

Hope this might help you and congrats to your offer 🎉🎉👍🏼👊🏼🙏🏼 👏🏼😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And don't forget there is also the Auslands-Bafög from the German government.

Even if you are not eligible for normal Bafög because your parents earn too much you may be eligible for Auslands-Bafög, so it is worth a try

Congratulations to your offer btw, still waiting for mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.